U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 AM

5,031 posts, read 7,719,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
isn't it funny, I make a joke about ripping up the American flag and using the pieces to spit shine refineries, and that goes unnoticed, but talk about the Texas flag, and the house comes down, I guess I just proved my point.
Actually, I didn't read your American flag post. I did read about the Texas flag (obviously), hence my post regarding the disrespect. The American flag is what matters to me, but disrespecting any flag is uncalled for. I am not a Texan and if I were, I would hope I wouldn't have the mentality that some do about the state. I work for a Texas school system and albeit it's probably wrong, I do not pledge to the Texas flag (just stand at attention, per se) each morning as many do but to Old Glory, oh yes. I hope that clears up any misconceptions you may have about my feeling regarding Betsy Ross and the Stars and Stripes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
I just think things are getting carried away a bit too far here. Everyone needs to just calm down. Play nice kids!
I agree and thought the same thing before I started posting and now, I'm one of the worst.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yeah calm the F*** down!!! LOL
You are exhibiting your lack of knowledge of descriptive words by using one that is vile with or without the grin.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 AM

9,787 posts, read 10,821,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
What, that Texas sucks and is a miserable state? You keep playing the same old broken record of how great you think it is.

Perhaps if you moved to a state with a decent educational system, you'd enjoy a higher level of reading comprehension, too.
Yeah, yeah, I have heard it before...and D-Towner answered that one nicely. But why don't you answer the question? Why are you still here? Surely a certified teacher could find a job in another state. If it is matter of money, I bet the cotton crop there would be plenty of folks happy to donate to the moving fund.

Anyway, it doesn't take a high level of reading comprehension to figure out you would probably be a miserable and hostile person wherever you lived.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 AM

3,578 posts, read 2,116,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I agree and thought the same thing before I started posting and now, I'm one of the worst.

No you are not. I wasn't talking to you or Carolina. You two were trying to calm the mess down.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Actually, I didn't read your American flag post. I did read about the Texas flag (obviously), hence my post regarding the disrespect. The American flag is what matters to me, but disrespecting any flag is uncalled for. I am not a Texan and if I were, I would hope I wouldn't have the mentality that some do about the state. I work for a Texas school system and albeit it's probably wrong, I do not pledge to the Texas flag (just stand at attention, per se) each morning as many do but to Old Glory, oh yes. I hope that clears up any misconceptions you may have about my feeling regarding Betsy Ross and the Stars and Stripes.

It's that division (pledging to both flags) that is what is going on here. We are ONE AMERICA. Not two. You cannot stand for both. You will love one and hate the other, or hate one and love the other. We need to come together people!
Ok, that was my rant for today.. Thank you.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
It's that division (pledging to both flags) that is what is going on here. We are ONE AMERICA. Not two. You cannot stand for both. You will love one and hate the other, or hate one and love the other. We need to come together people!
Ok, that was my rant for today.. Thank you.
Sorry, MaryBeth, I do not agree that one cannot both love their country and love their state. We are one America, true, but composed of soverign states whose sum total make up the whole. The individual states created the nation and the Founding Fathers never intended us to be one bland amorphous country.

That "we need to come together people" is but a truism. On the other hand, some of the problems we have today are because of the "one size fits all" mentality and that the font of all wisdom comes from Washington. No offence, but just because you cannot stand for both, doesn't mean others can't.

Ok. that is my rant for today! LOL

Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Sorry, MaryBeth, I do not agree that one cannot both love their country and love their state. We are one America, true, but composed of soverign states whose sum total make up the whole. The individual states created the nation and the Founding Fathers never intended us to be one bland amorphous country.

That "we need to come together people" is but a truism. On the other hand, some of the problems we have today are because of the "one size fits all" mentality and that the font of all wisdom comes from Washington. No offence, but just because you cannot stand for both, doesn't mean others can't.

Ok. that is my rant for today! LOL
Understood. I'm going to agree to disagree, respectfully, with you.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Understood. I'm going to agree to disagree, respectfully, with you.
Ditto!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:40 PM

1,874 posts, read 1,571,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Texans are the friendliest people in the world UNTIL they get behind the wheel of a car. Then they show exceedingly bad manners. It's a shame.
I think you are making a broad generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas