U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,135,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I'm waiting for the right moment to move back up North. I'm a Northern person, I love the moderate temperature summers, cool falls with the color changing trees, and cold winters. I love the rain as well. Everything seems so fresh after a rain and not dry, dusty, smoggy like it is currently in San Antonio.

The architecture is a whole lot better in the North. A lot of new urbanist developments building housing in traditional style and developing new downtowns. Here in TX, we've been making strides in improvement, but suburban strip malls and box housing still rule.

I love the food and low cost of living in Texas, but to me, money isn't everything and I can live financially stable up North. It isn't worth it living in a place that I don't care too much of. Besides, you can find great food anywhere.

How long have you lived in the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM

11,805 posts, read 13,838,137 times
Default Mountains in NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
the guadalupes?
No, the Sacramentos and Sangre de Cristos! The Guadalupes are at least mostly in TX.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM

3,334 posts, read 3,224,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
So, anyone out there who wants to get away from Texas, or is or actually has accomplished this and is happy about it?

Ian
Yes, I left Texas and am happy about it. It isn't because I hate Texas or anything. I am a native Texan as well...lived in Irving my whole life until I joined the Air Force in 1984. During my AF career I, not by my own choosing, spent 13 of the 20 years at bases in Texas: Carswell in Ft Worth, Sheppard in Wichita falls, Randolph in San Antonio. The older I got, the more the heat became oppressive to me. Funny, when I was a kid, I never really noticed it before. Mom pretty much could not get me inside. Even in high school, I was outdoors most of the time. I still love being outdoors and the heat was ruining that for me.

When I was 10, I went snow skiing for the first time (Colorado). I fell in love with the place and vowed I would live there some day. I finally managed to get an assignment to Colorado Springs (the last of my career) and when I retired in 2004, I stayed and absolutely love it here. Not to hot; not too cold with four distinct seasons. I love doing all my outdoorsy stuff in the mountains: hiking, ATVing, snow skiing, exploring ghost towns...even taking a nice drive up in the mountains. I really, really love it here.

Don't get me wrong y'all, I still, and always will, consider myself a Texan. I enjoy going back to visit and love seeing that welcome to Texas sign when I cross the border or just my old home town when I land at DFW.

There are things I miss like family that still lives there; being close to relatives in Oklahoma; Texan people in general; the Cowboys (thank gawd for NFL Sunday Ticket!), Rangers, Mavs, Longhorns, and Stars; no state income tax, the much cheaper economy, and that undefinable "Texan" thing...y'all know what I'm talking about.

But I don't miss: heat, humidity, tornados, and frickin' FIRE ANTS.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 AM

469 posts, read 950,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Yes, I left Texas and am happy about it. It isn't because I hate Texas or anything. I am a native Texan as well...lived in Irving my whole life until I joined the Air Force in 1984. During my AF career I, not by my own choosing, spent 13 of the 20 years at bases in Texas: Carswell in Ft Worth, Sheppard in Wichita falls, Randolph in San Antonio. The older I got, the more the heat became oppressive to me. Funny, when I was a kid, I never really noticed it before. Mom pretty much could not get me inside. Even in high school, I was outdoors most of the time. I still love being outdoors and the heat was ruining that for me.

When I was 10, I went snow skiing for the first time (Colorado). I fell in love with the place and vowed I would live there some day. I finally managed to get an assignment to Colorado Springs (the last of my career) and when I retired in 2004, I stayed and absolutely love it here. Not to hot; not too cold with four distinct seasons. I love doing all my outdoorsy stuff in the mountains: hiking, ATVing, snow skiing, exploring ghost towns...even taking a nice drive up in the mountains. I really, really love it here.

Don't get me wrong y'all, I still, and always will, consider myself a Texan. I enjoy going back to visit and love seeing that welcome to Texas sign when I cross the border or just my old home town when I land at DFW.

There are things I miss like family that still lives there; being close to relatives in Oklahoma; Texan people in general; the Cowboys (thank gawd for NFL Sunday Ticket!), Rangers, Mavs, Longhorns, and Stars; no state income tax, the much cheaper economy, and that undefinable "Texan" thing...y'all know what I'm talking about.

But I don't miss: heat, humidity, tornados, and frickin' FIRE ANTS.
I could not have said that any better! That is exactly how I feel as well. The heat did not bother me as a kid, but now that I am older, I can't take it anymore. My husband is looking at oil/pipeline companies in Colorado. We are hoping to move within a year.
I will never get used to the horrible humidity/heat and all the bugs here in Houston. After almost 6 years, I'm done.
I will miss all my family, though. They are mostly all in North Texas, where I am originally from.
Colorado, here I come!! (Hopefully! )

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM

9 posts, read 25,392 times
Default Moving to TX plz help

I am considering moving to TX from IN can you give me any good safe areas to live in? I have two children 7 & 8 and I want to find a safer enviroment to raise them in. What is the majority of the races down there? What is jobs like? Tax rates? anything you can offer will help.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 AM

3,030 posts, read 5,624,975 times
Honestly I'm California Dreamin'!

I wish I could live in L.A. right now. Not everything is bigger in Texas--I've seen bigger outside!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,947,023 times
I'm not even there yet....and no.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,270,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
This is something I am kind of curious about. I have been in Texas now for about 15 years, and do not regret it at all. I do miss the mountains of Montana to a certain extent, but I do not miss the winters at all. Now that I am moving to Corpus Christi with a great job in hand, it makes it all the much better.

I suppose what I am asking, is I seem to always read threads about people wanting to come to this great state. I really never see threads about people wanting to move away from Texas; especially moving back north! Reading through these posts, it would almost seem as if there is a pilgrimage of some sort to Texas.

So, anyone out there who wants to get away from Texas, or is or actually has accomplished this and is happy about it?

Ian

Apparently they do...there sure is a lot of them here in Arkansas.
Our nearest neighbors are from Texas, and have lived here for well over 35 years. They do go back and visit relatives occasionally.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 AM

469 posts, read 950,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdhb406 View Post
I am considering moving to TX from IN can you give me any good safe areas to live in? I have two children 7 & 8 and I want to find a safer enviroment to raise them in. What is the majority of the races down there? What is jobs like? Tax rates? anything you can offer will help.
You will really have to be more specific. Texas is a big state. Where in TX would you possibly be moving to? The answers to your questions would be different for different parts of the state.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 PM

938 posts, read 2,250,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I'm waiting for the right moment to move back up North. I'm a Northern person, I love the moderate temperature summers, cool falls with the color changing trees, and cold winters. I love the rain as well. Everything seems so fresh after a rain and not dry, dusty, smoggy like it is currently in San Antonio.

The architecture is a whole lot better in the North. A lot of new urbanist developments building housing in traditional style and developing new downtowns. Here in TX, we've been making strides in improvement, but suburban strip malls and box housing still rule.

I love the food and low cost of living in Texas, but to me, money isn't everything and I can live financially stable up North. It isn't worth it living in a place that I don't care too much of. Besides, you can find great food anywhere.
That is about how I feel about Texas. I'm from the Midwest (not the "North" but a lot more northern than TX). I miss the four seasons and the wonderful architecture of the older cities. I also think Texas is severely lacking in outdoor activities, my home state has ample public lands, including National Forests and National Parks. I've had a very hard time finding any solitude within an hour or two of Austin, due to the lack of public land. Big Bend is amazing, but it is a good 8 hour drive from here.

I will miss the food, the general friendliness of the people, and all of the cultural event in Austin. I plan to come back once a year or so to visit friends and get some Tex-Mex/BBQ, but overall I'll be glad to move back to the Midwest.

And yes, you can find good food anywhere...TX may have the BBQ and Tex-Mex/Mexican markets covered, but the pizza and Chinese food down here just can't match what I've been able to find in the Midwest and/or North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas