Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 06:56 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times

Advertisements

OK, so I'm one of those people - indeed a native-born Texasn - who did want to leave the state and has done so. I have some rather deep roots in Texas and realise that I always shall. Indeed, a major source of my income is from natural gas production on land that once belonged to my mother's family. Places like Goliad have a deep meaning for me. My ancestors were in Texas before the Civil War. But my dad was also in the US Marine Corps (a career officer) and we did move around when I was a kid. I was born in Corpus Christi, where he was stationed at the Naval Air Station that existed there at the time, and later he was an active duty commander at the Marine Reserve barracks in Dallas. When he was sent over to Okinawa, my mother and I lived again in Corpus Christi but then moved up to my grandparents' ranch and I started school in a 19th Century small town schoolhouse before my dad came back from overseas. We then moved to Virginia and subsequently to D.C. I spent all my elementary school years there, into jr high. I didn't want to leave the area when my dad was retiring from the Marines and for many years thereafter thought I would move back there for college and to live thereafter. It didn't happen. I graduated from HS in Lubbock, when my dad was teaching at Texas Tech, and then went to UT-Austin. After further moving around within Texas for grad school and a less than two year stint in Colorado, I ultimately ended up back in Austin where I lived for the next 19 years. Career and for a long time not knowing where would be preferable kept my partner and me in Austin. But after both my parents had died and my own financial circumstances had changed, we didn't want to spend the rest of our lives in the same place. Life intervened and we moved first to Vilnius, Lithuania and then to London. When financial considerations made it seem impractical to remain in the UK we moved finally back to the Mid-Atlantic East Coast that I had left so many years before, settling in Delaware. I don't know if we will stay here for the remainder of our lives, but I doubt we shall ever move back to Texas. It's history - my life's history - and would be moving backwards. There are things I like about Texas - Austin in particular - and things I don't like about it. The truth is, there isn't any permanently perfect place to live. Texas will always be part of me, but the chain of events has put my life on a course moving in a different direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Never. I might get a summer place on the beach in NC or the Golden Isles if I get the cash, but I could not imagine living most of my life outside of God's Country.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWortham
I've lived in Dallas all my life. And yes I do want to move. To me the best things Texas has going for it is the job market in some of the big cities and the low cost of living.

But my plan is to move to Colorado within the next couple years. I've been 5 times now and I love the dry climate, mild summers, and the beautiful mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Ditto on that one, my friend!!!

I am with you on that! I am a native of Colorado and that my friends IS gods country.

Looks like we may be going back before christmas. ( happy dance)

Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Never. I might get a summer place on the beach in NC or the Golden Isles if I get the cash, but I could not imagine living most of my life outside of God's Country.
North Carolina is God's Country

Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM

469 posts, read 1,451,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWortham
I've lived in Dallas all my life. And yes I do want to move. To me the best things Texas has going for it is the job market in some of the big cities and the low cost of living.

But my plan is to move to Colorado within the next couple years. I've been 5 times now and I love the dry climate, mild summers, and the beautiful mountains.

I am with you on that! I am a native of Colorado and that my friends IS gods country.

Looks like we may be going back before christmas. ( happy dance)
Lucky! I would be doing the happy dance as well!
For now, my wine gets me through this period in my life.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:34 AM

90 posts, read 226,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Houston offers high traffic, VERY high humidity and months and months of unbearable hot weather. Don't even get me started on the mosquitoes and all the various bugs here.
PA offers worse traffic, and months and months of unbearable cold weather and ZERO sunshine. The only place in the US with perfect weather is California, and with a government as frightening as theirs, I'll take a few months of heat, thanks.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Florida, and am proud of my state for so many reasons, but I go gaga for all things Texas, and feel like I'll end up living there at least for a couple years of my life. While I can't decide which state I like best (and if you can that's fine and I respect that, but I can't!) I can conclude with great confidence that both are head and shoulders above all the other states in the union!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
North Carolina is God's Country

My son says WV is God's country! Hummm maybe God's country is where your heart is! Hummmm

Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
My son says WV is God's country! Hummm maybe God's country is where your heart is! Hummmm

Yes I think you're right Mary Beth, but I have to agree with your son too, WV is beautiful!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:45 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
I plan on leaving in a few years due to job issues, but other than that I'll be coming right back!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post

Your son, my friend, has definitely said it best, the only real and true way to explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas