Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,685,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
http://images.newsmax.com/misc/2008_Election_Map.jpg

Your best bet would be to look for small towns under the blue squares at least two counties from the Mexican border.

I think this would be known as "inner suburbs" of the large cities, which are usually pretty red.

A more accurate map would show shades of red, purple and blue. None of Texas would truly be blue, and the counties that leaned towards Obama would be purple. The small towns would definitely be red, though. I would personally avoid these areas just like I'd avoid extremely blue areas of the country.

BTW many in district 22 think the guy was a slimeball. The Houston suburbs tend to go red for financial reasons above all else. No one seems to be protesting the XXX DVD store, bath-house, erotic boutique, or the head shops on the edge of my 'Delaysian' burb, avg income near $100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:21 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,480,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
BTW many in district 22 think the guy was a slimeball. The Houston suburbs tend to go red for financial reasons above all else. No one seems to be protesting the XXX DVD store, bath-house, erotic boutique, or the head shops on the edge of my 'Delaysian' burb, avg income near $100k.

Doh! Because once you start making the money, you realize you don't wanna share!

But yes, small town and blue doesn't fit ANYWHERE in the South. And it's not necessary for religious reasons either. They might not make 100k a year, but they work hard and want to be able to leave the farm behind, without the death tax taking it away.

PS-They may be country, but they know all about the 150 dollar hit per cow they are going to have to pay with that crazy Cow Fart tax the blues are trying to push through. They also understand they can't afford to feed their chickens for the prices they are getting for them. The HOURS I've listened to this stuff. < major eye roll>

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 02-11-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,730,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenGuys View Post
We've been all over Texas via Internet searching for a place to buy our next house. We are a Blue State, moderate to liberal, male couple looking for a place to retire. Ideally, we would like to find a Eureka Springs or Wimberley type town somewhere in the piney woods of East Texas. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.
Using the word "blue" to describe any small town in Texas is against the law. Seriously though if you want to be in a blue environment you will have to live in one of the major cities. That's just the way it is.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:57 AM

36 posts, read 89,331 times
A big THANKS to all the posts. I realized after posting that rather than "blue", I should have probably used "libertarian". As was pointed out, blue does not equate with open-minded and/or live and let live. For the most part I was referencing my blue life-experiences in Aspen, Sedona, Boulder, Asheville and Santa Fe. All small towns to small cities I've lived in or vacationed in through the years.

As for Texas, I worked on contract in Houston years ago. I'm familiar with Montrose. I lived in the Museum District not too far from Montrose and Westheimer. The club and night life never interested me, but there was a good feel in Houston I have to admit. Now that I'm in my 50s, and have decided to retire early to do other things, I really want to live in a small town where I can volunteer at the local library or elder care or humane society, and have good friends in the local community. Right now, thanks in part to your suggestions, we are concentrating in Georgetown, Smithville, Bastrop, Salado, Mt. Vernon and a few Hill Country towns.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,760,420 times
Quote:
A big THANKS to all the posts. I realized after posting that rather than "blue", I should have probably used "libertarian". As was pointed out, blue does not equate with open-minded and/or live and let live. For the most part I was referencing my blue life-experiences in Aspen, Sedona, Boulder, Asheville and Santa Fe. All small towns to small cities I've lived in or vacationed in through the years.

As for Texas, I worked on contract in Houston years ago. I'm familiar with Montrose. I lived in the Museum District not too far from Montrose and Westheimer. The club and night life never interested me, but there was a good feel in Houston I have to admit. Now that I'm in my 50s, and have decided to retire early to do other things, I really want to live in a small town where I can volunteer at the local library or elder care or humane society, and have good friends in the local community. Right now, thanks in part to your suggestions, we are concentrating in Georgetown, Smithville, Bastrop, Salado, Mt. Vernon and a few Hill Country towns.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

It sounds like you are describing Kerrville or maybe Fredericksburg. There are some biggish little towns in the hillcountry that may fit the bill, you know, hippy hollows full of "John Wayne Hippies"

Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,737 times
I about died laughing when I read your post. Hoss, the piney woods is Klan country. Google, Vidor, and Klan to see what I mean.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM

679 posts, read 1,801,627 times
We live in a small town in the Hill Country. I don't subscribe to any one political party but describe myself as progressive with libertarian leanings. We have had no trouble finding like-minded people. Be assured, they do exist! We are very happy here. PM me if you want more info.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,908,945 times
Aha. You want Falfurrias. Brooks County holds the current record in the USA as the county that has voted for the Democratic candidate in the most consecutive presidential elections. As punishment, it is being bulldozed and destroyed by a raised multilane highway through the town with underpasses.

http://royceeddington.com/?p=1332

Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,262,227 times
Quote:
We've been all over Texas via Internet searching for a place to buy our next house. We are a Blue State, moderate to liberal, male couple looking for a place to retire. Ideally, we would like to find a Eureka Springs or Wimberley type town somewhere in the piney woods of East Texas. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Just out of curiosity, what is the point behind a Liberal moving to a solid Conservative state like Texas? Where is DoctorJef when you need him? He could explain all the joys of supporting Democrats/Liberals and finally moving out of Texas! That guy is always carrying on how great it was to finally move despite being a Native Texan. It wouldn't take long doing a search to find a list longer than the width of Texas full of Liberal/Democrats complaining about living in Texas.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,988,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It sounds like you are describing Kerrville or maybe Fredericksburg. There are some biggish little towns in the hillcountry that may fit the bill, you know, hippy hollows full of "John Wayne Hippies"

You should check out "Comfort, Tex". They have a lot of antique stores, artisans in that community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas