Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas: South or Southwest?
Southwest 55 48.25%
South 59 51.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM

8,516 posts, read 10,032,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I have no clue. I have never been to San Antonio. The only Texas city that I have been to is Dallas and I enjoyed it
Well, I think San Antonio has more in common (IMO) w/ the Southwest, but geographically, I'd say it is South-Central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,743,100 times
Texas is too massive to put it in either of these categories. It really has elements of both regions. Houston is humid and muggy and has more in common with New Orleans than it does with hot and dry El Paso, which has more in common Albuquerque or Tucson.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,340,877 times
San Antonio is definately a hybrid of the South and Southwest. Still leans more Southern though.

Houston - South
Dallas - South/Midwest
Ft Worth - South/Midwest/Southwest
Austin - South/West Coast <-(maybe a stretch)
El Paso - Southwest

Old 02-11-2009, 08:18 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,308,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Texas is too massive to put it in either of these categories. It really has elements of both regions. Houston is humid and muggy and has more in common with New Orleans than it does with hot and dry El Paso, which has more in common Albuquerque or Tucson.
It has not only elements of the Southeast and Southwest. But elements of the Midwest and Mexico as well. You'd be surprised how much Dallas has in common with Kansas City and Kansas City is very Midwest. If you must put it in a region, it is South. It however never will be known as a Southeastern state. Most of Texas is Southern. Only El Paso is Southwestern. However, I do not look at cities like San Antonio and Austin as Southern cities and just about anyone from the Deep South that would take a visit to the city would probably say the same. Fort Worth is the same way. Dallas is Southern but not as Southern as Jackson, Birmingham, or Montgomery. Houston is the same way but more Southern than Dallas. When you hit the line stretching from Beaumont to Lufkin to Tyler, than you know you are really in the South.

Simply put...Texas is Texas. It's too big to place it in one region. But if you must, it is Southern (well the majority of it).

Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 PM

366 posts, read 1,436,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
San Antonio is definately a hybrid of the South and Southwest. Still leans more Southern though.

Houston - South
Dallas - South/Midwest
Austin - South/West Coast (maybe a stretch)
El Paso - Southwest

Ft Worth Southwest? No.

Houston-South
Dallas-South/Midwest
Ft Worth-South/Midwest
Austin-Southwest/South
San Antonio-Southwest/South
El Paso-Southwest

Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,121,443 times
Quote:

Houston - South
Dallas - South/Midwest
Austin - South/West Coast <-(maybe a stretch)
El Paso - Southwest

I find San Antonio much more Southwestern in nature, but mostly for cultural reasons. Eitherway, Texas has a little bit of everything, seeing as it geographically cuts into all of those regions.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,255,961 times
I wouldn't consider any part of Texas Midwestern.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,340,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Ft Worth Southwest? No.

Houston-South
Dallas-South/Midwest
Ft Worth-South/Midwest
Austin-Southwest/South
San Antonio-Southwest/South
El Paso-Southwest
Well, Ft Worth touts itself as 'Where the West begins'. Strangely; while only 31 miles apart, you can feel a distinct demarcation between the cultures of Dallas and Ft Worth.

I tend to agree with Spade's assessment 'Texas is Texas', but for the sake of answering the OP's question I chose sides.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,470,172 times
Quote:
Well, Ft Worth touts itself as 'Where the West begins'. Strangely; while only 31 miles apart, you can feel a distinct demarcation between the cultures of Dallas and Ft Worth.

I tend to agree with Spade's assessment 'Texas is Texas', but for the sake of answering the OP's question I chose sides.
You could not be more right. I loved Dallas, but there is no way that I could live in Ft Worth and be happy

Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,308,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I wouldn't consider any part of Texas Midwestern.
If you consider that Nebraska, Kansas, The Dakotas, and Iowa are Midwestern. Then you'd better realize that the Panhandle of Texas is just as similar if not identical in feel and culture to those same Midwestern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas