U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,538,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Too bad most of the good museums are on the Fort Worth side. The Kimbell is a great museum, but not MFAH level.
Maybe for art, but not history or science.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 04:28 PM

12,567 posts, read 19,360,024 times
They feel different to me.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:43 PM

5,684 posts, read 9,787,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Maybe for art, but not history or science.
People usually rate the art museums. The Getty and the Art Institute are the flagships in the category.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,831,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Lived in both and I definitely agree with this sentiment. I think objectively we can say the food is better in Houston and the shopping is better in Dallas. Other than that they are almost identical in offerings.
Houston doesn't really have nightlife districts like in Dallas which can add to the overall experience of going out on the town just by the street experiences.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,644,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
They feel different to me.
They are, but the way many people live it up in both cities doesn't allow these differences to play out. If everyone in either city is doing nothing but hopping from AC to AC, from home to car to work, then what else would an outsider perceive?

Old 01-29-2018, 10:11 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,538,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
They are, but the way many people live it up in both cities doesn't allow these differences to play out. If everyone in either city is doing nothing but hopping from AC to AC, from home to car to work, then what else would an outsider perceive?
How about non-working hours? I'm pretty sure Houstonians are out at local park, jogging Buffalo Bayou, swimming in a nearby lake, or drinking on an outdoor patio. That's literally the same as what people do in Dallas and Austin. Yesterday in Dallas was prime example of that -- White Rock Lake packed, busy trails, and parks. The patios at the local bars and restaurants were also packed. Lots of tourists walking around the West End and Dealey Plaza. I'm sure Houston was the same.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:18 AM

1,459 posts, read 802,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Houston doesn't really have nightlife districts like in Dallas which can add to the overall experience of going out on the town just by the street experiences.
Sounds like you've never had a late night romp up and down Washington or through midtown or EaDo... plenty of street life to be had.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:45 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,644,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
How about non-working hours? I'm pretty sure Houstonians are out at local park, jogging Buffalo Bayou, swimming in a nearby lake, or drinking on an outdoor patio. That's literally the same as what people do in Dallas and Austin. Yesterday in Dallas was prime example of that -- White Rock Lake packed, busy trails, and parks. The patios at the local bars and restaurants were also packed. Lots of tourists walking around the West End and Dealey Plaza. I'm sure Houston was the same.
Exactly my point. While there certainly is activity in Houston, don't get me wrong, it is not done in a way that incorporates its setting effectively to the QOL. Either because of total neglect, or the initiatives that are present are only in infancy. As a result, the activity is in a milquetoast form that can easily be replicated in other cities. Meaning that outsiders view Houston and Dallas as peas in a pod, despite residents of the city like SouthernBoy seeing different.

Austin is by far the best in integrating its natural features with the public, allowing them to play into the vibe. So even if the basic amenities are the same in all the Texas cities, outsiders end up perceiving Austin as a special packaged experience. And yes the topography helps, but the way they use their water features is more key in this.

In relation to using the potential of what they have to offer, Dallas has done fantastic (especially with White Rock Lake), while Houston has barely lifted a finger.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:28 PM

22,362 posts, read 6,084,701 times
I like both the Metroplex and Houston.I dont know which one i like the best but i am more familiar with DFW.I am thinking of living in both places.I feel that both could possibly fill my needs ok if i lived there.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:01 PM

327 posts, read 241,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Sounds like you've never had a late night romp up and down Washington or through midtown or EaDo... plenty of street life to be had.
What about main street in downtown Houston? Isn't that a big nightlife spot as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas