Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could live in any of the four, with the same standard of living, which one would you live in?
Dallas 60 22.47%
Houston 86 32.21%
San Antonio 48 17.98%
Austin 59 22.10%
None of the above 14 5.24%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,259,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
All those negative responses about Austin prove my point. The thing is people from Austin are only guilty of speaking about the positive aspects of Austin, while people in other cities point out the negative aspects of Austin instead of the positive of their own city. If loving Austin makes it overhyped and pretentious, than I guess it is.
Really? Only guilty of speaking of the positive aspects?

Originally Posted by joejitsu
To answer the OP. People in Dallas know Austin is better and that is the source of their unhappiness.

Yep, nothing pretentious about this comment. I wonder who made it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,850,310 times
Austin is a weirdo town. They keep true to their slogan "Keep Austin Weird"....yep lots of weirdos there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
All those negative responses about Austin prove my point. The thing is people from Austin are only guilty of speaking about the positive aspects of Austin, while people in other cities point out the negative aspects of Austin instead of the positive of their own city. If loving Austin makes it overhyped and pretentious, than I guess it is.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM

342 posts, read 683,557 times
HOUSTON, TX without a doubt, the city council, the mayor, and the political make-up of the city truly represent the city, instead of a bunch of old white guys. Houston has a melting pot, Starting with the mayor, so go Houston

Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,611,082 times
San Antonio while Dallas and Houston are ok I like San Antonio better plus I was born in SA and have relatives there

Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,639,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
HOUSTON, TX without a doubt, the city council, the mayor, and the political make-up of the city truly represent the city, instead of a bunch of old white guys. Houston has a melting pot, Starting with the mayor, so go Houston
The Houston city council is no more/less diverse than the Dallas city council.

City of Houston eGovernment Center

Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - City Web Portal

Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,968,306 times
I'm very fortunate to have lived in 3/4 of these cities, and spent a great amount of time visiting San Antonio, (every weekend almost during this semester- can't get enough of the food there).

I would have to say Austin. I really like it here.

Houston, I'm going back home there to Sugar Land this weekend. I haven't been in Houston for over 5 weeks, and I miss home, but I don't have as much fun in Houston as Austin.

Dallas, was a fun place, and it's best point is being near Fort Worth, which makes it so that way you have tons to do.
But I would place it on the same level with Houston, IMHO, right behind Austin.

I think Fort Worth is another good candidate for this thread but sadly it was left out, lol.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,249,924 times
Austin is soooooooo overrated. 6th Street and the rest of downtown gets tired very quick. , plus downtown is really all that Austin has to offer. Houston is way more dynamic and vibrant as a whole city! Plus, Austin downtown is only slightly better than downtown Houston

Omshai you must be a college kid huh?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:57 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,968,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Austin is soooooooo overrated. 6th Street and the rest of downtown gets tired very quick. , plus downtown is really all that Austin has to offer. Houston is way more dynamic and vibrant as a whole city! Plus, Austin downtown is only slightly better than downtown Houston

Yeahhh haha, caught me red handed.

But I can agree on that, besides the downtown area, Austin really doesn't have much to offer, besides some good restaurants across other parts of town, and some parks. But that's about it.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,818,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post

What? You gotta problem with that?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,822,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeahhh haha, caught me red handed.

But I can agree on that, besides the downtown area, Austin really doesn't have much to offer, besides some good restaurants across other parts of town, and some parks. But that's about it.
SoCo / South Austin, East Austin, West Campus, Hyde Park, and a number of other iconic neighborhoods. Plus the lakes, parks, greenbelts and the Hill Country all in about a 12 mile radius.

Yeah, Austin doesn't have much to offer other than downtown.

BTW - other than 6th street, there wasn't much going on downtown 10-15 years ago. It's basically a completely new place. Everyone (except tourists) hung out in the other areas for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas