U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 AM

9,036 posts, read 12,340,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You'd really want to work and be on the road with a bunch of crack heads and heroin addicts?! It's bad enough that Texas has a high number of drunken drivers. At least you can smell booze and pot and know instantly someone's been using. You can't with the other drugs.
You missed the sarcasm. I guess I should have noted it... <sarcasm on> <sarcasm off>.

Both Texas and NM have a high number of drivers that drive drunk, and some of them mix drugs with that, too. NM is in the process of setting up the law so that it would address that when someone is stopped for DWI/DUI.

I hope it passes. Some have been stopped....testing shows the alcohol limit to be below the legal amount, but doesn't take into account the impairment caused by the drugs.

Talk about loopholes...
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
I think you need to re-read his policy on immigration again. He is only advocating LEGAL admission into the U.S. Why should anybody not be allowed to come to the U.S. legally? As long as there not from Mexico I guess cause everyone from Mexico is a drug dealer right? The problem isn't illegal immigration, my father is a Border Patrol agent, the highest ratio of immigration occurred late-80s to mid-90s after that the percentage ratio has dropped considerably. Do you honestly think all these illegals (in the millions) did so within the past 4-8 years alone? If you do, you lack basic logic. Majority of the illegals were from the 80/90s era, it's just barely now it's being made public, done so by the previous administration because the companies contracted for this so called "wall" had ties to the previous administration. Like I said, my father is a border patrol agent (and don't dare say "He should do his job" type crap. Last year alone his sector alone got into MULTIPLE shoot-outs busting drug cartel's passing anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000lbs of drugs across at a time worth millions on the street, so bite your tongue on that), so don't think you can debate me about border security and its working politics in it. What you hear from on TV ain't legit, and I'll just leave it at that.
Since I grew up 100 or so miles from the US-Mexico border and only recently left Texas 18 months ago, I'm very well aware of how long we have had an illegal immigration problem. I left a sanctuary city for illegal immigrants.

If you think illegal immigration isn't a serious problem, you yourself lack basic logic. They cost us in so many ways (prisons, public schools, basic services, etc.) that the public is not even aware of.

Drug runners and the associated violence are indeed the problem, and I admire BP agents and the job they do every day. It's hard, thankless work at times. Since I now live only 90 miles north of El Paso/Juárez, the violence is in the news daily.

Now I'm going to stop here before this turns into a rant.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Yes it is, especially when you think about all the times we use to just cross over into all the border towns, no worries except to watch out for the crazy driving. Of course we all knew to watch our p & q's and not get crossways with the Mexican police.
Yes....one would not want to wind up in a Mexican slammer.....

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,624,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
I think you need to re-read his policy on immigration again. He is only advocating LEGAL admission into the U.S. Why should anybody not be allowed to come to the U.S. legally? As long as there not from Mexico I guess cause everyone from Mexico is a drug dealer right? The problem isn't illegal immigration, my father is a Border Patrol agent, the highest ratio of immigration occurred late-80s to mid-90s after that the percentage ratio has dropped considerably. Do you honestly think all these illegals (in the millions) did so within the past 4-8 years alone? If you do, you lack basic logic. Majority of the illegals were from the 80/90s era, it's just barely now it's being made public, done so by the previous administration because the companies contracted for this so called "wall" had ties to the previous administration. Like I said, my father is a border patrol agent (and don't dare say "He should do his job" type crap. Last year alone his sector alone got into MULTIPLE shoot-outs busting drug cartel's passing anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000lbs of drugs across at a time worth millions on the street, so bite your tongue on that), so don't think you can debate me about border security and its working politics in it. What you hear from on TV ain't legit, and I'll just leave it at that.
I think the majority of us here on this forum are aware that the illegal immigration is not a recent problem, but one that has been ongoing for years. There are various reasons the publicity has been so widespread recently. The Mexican illegals are moving ever more inland and just the size of the number of illegals has finally caught people's eyes who before didn't pay attention to these things. People here in Texas and other border states (and especially those who live close to the border) have been watching this problem and it's growth for years now. Things have been tightening up here for awhile, even though it wasn't being publicized like it is now. When people start losing their jobs, their homes, you bet, they are going to be looking around at various issues and pointing fingers. That's just the way it works.

Illegals are considered a large problem in the US for many reasons and regardless of when they came in, they are here and the problem is here. What do we do about it? We talk about it amongst ourselves, we gripe, we tell what we think should be done to solve the problem, we vote for the best out there (well, I had to get a joke in here somewhere!) that promise to take steps to correct the problems. In the end, all we're left with is our feelings of helplessness and to which we are reduced to saying, well, it is the way it is and nothing we can do about it.

I think everyone is grateful to the border control agents. I'm sure we would all agree that we don't have but just an inkling into the problems and issues that they are faced with everyday. To me, I don't even know how they get up and face another day. I would liken their job to chipping away everyday at a huge wall of stone with an icepick with sudden bursts of danger and violence thrown in.

As far as what we hear on TV not being legit, well, might as well not confine that just to the illegal immigration, it is rampant throughout the media. They design the stories to fit the protocol they have been told to feed us.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 AM

7,748 posts, read 18,483,489 times
It's funny people still describe addicts as losers & idiots who "do" drugs, as if they're "doing" their boss or next door neighbor. There are "losers" in every segment of society, all races, colors & income levels who support the cartels. As long as humans are humans, the demand is never going away. Also don't forget that a huge segment of this population "do" pills (prescription or not), supporting the legal/corporate cartels. And these people are hooked on them, catching a 24/7 buzz. Some of those prescriptions are poisonous, hardcore ****! ...the latest drugs of the baby boomers...

And we're already on the road with addicts of all types, unfortunate as it may be. However, you ought to check certain European countries' overall usage rates with their lax laws. Then check US states' usage rates with their "tough" laws. Unfortunately this information must be dug up, as it will never be publicized by a country that never admits their failures.

To set the record straight, I'm not advocating anything one way or the other, as I haven't made up my mind on how we should approach this issue. I also don't "do" drugs, except for the weekend high-end beers (a very good drug indeed ).

However the only thing I'm 100% sure of is- if we Texans hold onto the same prudish (Baptist) attitudes, the violence along the border is only going to spill deeper into this state. I can tolerate the already '3rd world-ish' qualities we are somewhat famous for, but when the violence escalates, you'll find me and my family outta here. One large reason we live frugally is to be able to escape if need be.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,624,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You missed the sarcasm. I guess I should have noted it... <sarcasm on> <sarcasm off>.

Both Texas and NM have a high number of drivers that drive drunk, and some of them mix drugs with that, too. NM is in the process of setting up the law so that it would address that when someone is stopped for DWI/DUI.

I hope it passes. Some have been stopped....testing shows the alcohol limit to be below the legal amount, but doesn't take into account the impairment caused by the drugs.

Talk about loopholes...
Oooops! But glad you weren't serious! There are some people who really DO believe drugs should be legalized so they can be regulated/taxed. I didn't know if you belonged to that camp.

Local police have been announcing how DWIs are increasing substantially. It's a widespread problem that knows no particular nationality BUT when you add in that the illegals also have no insurance and are more prone to fleeing arrest and causing more accidents, it's worrisome. One of them ran over and killed a police officer here last year. If Mexico legalizes drugs, then we'll have drunk AND drugged illegals bopping around. Great.

I am SO glad I moved off the Border. Being just 550 miles north makes a BIG difference.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:40 PM

7,705 posts, read 8,148,472 times
I DO believe drugs should be legalized and treated like cigarettes and alcohol, i.e., illegal til you're 21, illegal while driving, prohibited in the workplace, prohibited in public places, etc. etc. etc. And taxed.

I can't understand why anyone has a problem with that when alcohol is a known addictive, destructive, lethal drug and it's sold on every corner.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:22 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,624,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I DO believe drugs should be legalized and treated like cigarettes and alcohol, i.e., illegal til you're 21, illegal while driving, prohibited in the workplace, prohibited in public places, etc. etc. etc. And taxed.

I can't understand why anyone has a problem with that when alcohol is a known addictive, destructive, lethal drug and it's sold on every corner.
We're not winning the battle against drunken driving and alcohol-related problems so how can anyone advocate adding MORE legal but mood-altering substances into the mix? Like the illegal until age 21 and other restrictions are WORKING so well with alcohol that the laws can be applied to more substances?

I think it's safe to say that the majority of people can enjoy alcohol without it becoming a problem/addiction. The same CANNOT be said of cocaine, heroin, etc.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:55 PM

7,705 posts, read 8,148,472 times
Well, you'll just have to be willing to write off a big chunk of northern Mexico, the southern United States and most inner cities to drug violence then. It will never be stopped by law enforcement because the profit motive is too great.

I think legalizing, regulating and taxing drugs and directing resources to education and treatment of addiction would be a better way to spend resources than the current failed War on Drugs.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oooops! But glad you weren't serious! There are some people who really DO believe drugs should be legalized so they can be regulated/taxed. I didn't know if you belonged to that camp.

Local police have been announcing how DWIs are increasing substantially. It's a widespread problem that knows no particular nationality BUT when you add in that the illegals also have no insurance and are more prone to fleeing arrest and causing more accidents, it's worrisome. One of them ran over and killed a police officer here last year. If Mexico legalizes drugs, then we'll have drunk AND drugged illegals bopping around. Great.

I am SO glad I moved off the Border. Being just 550 miles north makes a BIG difference.
While I do believe that marijuana should be medically and legally available to terminal (and I do mean terminal, with less than a year left to live) cancer patients, we don't need that or any other illegal drug made legal.

I don't blame you for leaving the border. There is no way I'd live any closer to Mexico than I do now. I will also be going farther north when the economy picks up, most likely--but for weather issues, not violence and drug runners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas