Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM

18 posts, read 59,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Anywhere in the city of Houston is fair game for those 3 languages. They are so common that 'help lines' and city publications are in those 3 languages.

But as far as Spanish/Spanglish goes, everything inside the beltway + the suburbs that hug the beltway. Add the NE half of Ft. Bend County, the industrial areas way out east to Baytown, and just about all of Galveston County.
I like what people are saying about Houston. It sounds more multicultural than Dallas. I just hope its not like Miami, where I grew up, and the minority majority seems to have run off White people. I want a good mix of Latino and White, and to some degree, other cultures. I just worry about the threat of hurricanes in Houston, the bugs, the humidity, and don't want to be forced to live in a slum on my salary of 40K-50K. Any other cities in Texas or the Southwest with large numbers of second and third generation Hispanic-Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,819,090 times
Did you not look into Corpus Christi or San Antonio? Both cities are great. Corpus has beautiful beaches regardless of what some people might say, plus you are not too far away from South and North Padre Island and Port Aransas which is also wonderful.

The Woodlands is right outside of Houston. It is a really nice city with so much greenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2642 View Post
I like what people are saying about Houston. It sounds more multicultural than Dallas. I just hope its not like Miami, where I grew up, and the minority majority seems to have run off White people. I want a good mix of Latino and White, and to some degree, other cultures. I just worry about the threat of hurricanes in Houston, the bugs, the humidity, and don't want to be forced to live in a slum on my salary of 40K-50K. Any other cities in Texas or the Southwest with large numbers of second and third generation Hispanic-Americans?

Old 02-24-2009, 04:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,260,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Anywhere in the city of Houston is fair game for those 3 languages. They are so common that 'help lines' and city publications are in those 3 languages.

But as far as Spanish/Spanglish goes, everything inside the beltway + the suburbs that hug the beltway. Add the NE half of Ft. Bend County, the industrial areas way out east to Baytown, and just about all of Galveston County.
Languages? Yes. Hair colors? No. If you see a blonde head somewhere off of Tidwell Rd, they're probably trying to find their way out.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,601,067 times
40-50k in Texas will afford you a decent house. In some cases, depending on the area of town you pick, a pretty darn nice one. I'd also third the Houston, Corpus, San Antonio suggestions. I'd put San Antonio at the top of the list though, only because of your weather requirement. Many, Many of the hispanics in those regions are 2nd gen and up and speak only english so no matter which one you pick it should be no problem at all. Nothing like Miami. I really wouldn't worry so much about hurricanes. The good thing about them is that they offer more warning so you can evacuate. Much of the human misery stories you hear after a hurricane are from people who ignored the warnings and didn't leave. Even my mom, who grew up around Corpus Christi and is used to staying and riding out hurricanes, decided that after Ike, she would leave next time. The reason she didn't leave is because on the ratings scale it was only a 2 or 3, but not many people realized the wind shear would actually be as severe as it was. Usually a 2 or 3 will cause damage, but not on the scale that one did. Most people who stayed just thought the media was blowing things out of proportion like they usually do.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 PM

18 posts, read 59,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
40-50k in Texas will afford you a decent house. In some cases, depending on the area of town you pick, a pretty darn nice one. I'd also third the Houston, Corpus, San Antonio suggestions. I'd put San Antonio at the top of the list though, only because of your weather requirement. Many, Many of the hispanics in those regions are 2nd gen and up and speak only english so no matter which one you pick it should be no problem at all. Nothing like Miami. I really wouldn't worry so much about hurricanes. The good thing about them is that they offer more warning so you can evacuate. Much of the human misery stories you hear after a hurricane are from people who ignored the warnings and didn't leave. Even my mom, who grew up around Corpus Christi and is used to staying and riding out hurricanes, decided that after Ike, she would leave next time. The reason she didn't leave is because on the ratings scale it was only a 2 or 3, but not many people realized the wind shear would actually be as severe as it was. Usually a 2 or 3 will cause damage, but not on the scale that one did. Most people who stayed just thought the media was blowing things out of proportion like they usually do.
Very helpful...thank you.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,476,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2642 View Post
Very helpful...thank you.
Based on your criteria, I personally think your list should look this:
1. San Antonio
2. Houston
3. Corpus Christi
4. Dallas
5. Austin

San Antonio is home to the highest percentages of 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation hispanic folks who are either bilingual or speak just English. Plus, hispanics in San Antonio seem to occupy the middle and upper classes in greater numbers than they do elsewhere in the state (except perhaps in the Valley and El Paso).

Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 AM

You all are seeming to forget that the OP stated that they didn't want to deal with humid heat and that they wanted more distinct seasons. That automatically cancels out San Antonio, Houston, and Corpus Christi. I really can't think of any reason why Dallas wouldn't be a good fit.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM

It doesn't have as high of a percentage of 3rd or 4th generation hispanics as San Antonio(at least as far as I know, I could be totally wrong about that). SA won't have quite the humidity of Houston or Corpus Christi, plus it's on the Southern Edge of the Hill Country.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 AM

Coming for a quick tour would probably be the best bet as all the cities fit all your criteria in some form or other.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
It doesn't have as high of a percentage of 3rd or 4th generation hispanics as San Antonio(at least as far as I know, I could be totally wrong about that). SA won't have quite the humidity of Houston or Corpus Christi, plus it's on the Southern Edge of the Hill Country.
Well the OP didn't say that they were looking for an area with a high percentage of 3rd or 4th generation Hispanics. Plus, Dallas also has a greater number of non-Mexican Hispanics.

Now, as far as the weather goes, coming from someone who has experienced both Houston and San Antonio summers, I can tell you that there is very little difference. It gets very humid in San Antonio and the temperatures also tend to get higher than the Houston metro. Either way the heat index makes you feel miserable in both cities. I had a friend in SA who worked outside all day as an aircraft fueler and he explains that summers can be absolute hell. On the other hand, Houston's proximity to the ocean brings coastal winds as well as a stronger chance for rain allowing some "relief" from the summer sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas