Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Hey, it's not Dallas' fault that the rest of the world thinks Fort Worth is a suburb. We didn't tell them that. I wish Fort Worth wouldn't take its frustration out on us about how outsiders view them and would act more like a sibling or partner. Like Fort Worthian says, DFW wouldn't be DFW without either city.

On the other hand, we could probably do without some of the suburbs...
Part of it is Dallas' fault.

Fort Worth didn't do as much marketing back in the day and now we're playing catch up, but I also don't know too many Dallasites who step in and correct others like we constantly have to. But why do so when EVERYONE thinks EVERYTHING in the area belongs to you, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 AM

114 posts, read 200,545 times
By suburbs you mean like Denton Right? Lol

Old 07-21-2012, 07:25 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Don't know if these points have already been made. Part of it is the local media, which has a history of referring to the whole area as "the Metroplex" or "the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex". There's some grounding in reality for this. When I was a kid, it seemed a pretty barren drive on what was at that time the Turnpike between Fort Worth and Dallas. There was this spot on the road called Grand Prairie before you got into Dallas, and there seemed to be a little something in Arlington once Six Flags was opened (though you couldn't really see any of it from the Turnpike back in the original Six Flags days). Now obviously old Arlington and UTA were back there too, but they were invisible. There seemed to be a clear separation between Dallas and Fort Worth. It's a bit different in recent decades.

I actually haven't run into people voicing complete ignorance of Dallas and Fort Worth being different cities anytime recently. However, I do recall many years ago being quite taken aback when someone said of the two cities, "Oh, I thought it was the same thing." I can't recall where this was, although the likelihood is that it was either in Colorado or in Ontario (the former, I think probably, which makes it even more shocking -- and there was no indication the person was putting me on).

Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post

I actually haven't run into people voicing complete ignorance of Dallas and Fort Worth being different cities anytime recently. However, I do recall many years ago being quite taken aback when someone said of the two cities, "Oh, I thought it was the same thing." I can't recall where this was, although the likelihood is that it was either in Colorado or in Ontario (the former, I think probably, which makes it even more shocking -- and there was no indication the person was putting me on).
I go to college just 40 miles outside of Houston.... I STILL hear it.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I go to college just 40 miles outside of Houston.... I STILL hear it.
Speaks pretty badly for the geographical knowledge of Americans in general and possibly of Texans in particular. How the hell could you live in Texas, be over the age of 10, and have an IQ over 65 and not know that Dallas and Fort Worth are two distinct cities?

Old 07-21-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Speaks pretty badly for the geographical knowledge of Americans in general and possibly of Texans in particular. How the hell could you live in Texas, be over the age of 10, and have an IQ over 65 and not know that Dallas and Fort Worth are two distinct cities?
You're asking the wrong person.....

Old 07-21-2012, 02:12 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,748 times
Quote:
I am thinking the same thing. I can't imagine anyone in Texas not knowing that they are two very different cities.

... actually perhaps if someone had just moved to Texas? Even then though I don't know. Ft Worth may not come up much in conversation but I have never heard anyone suggest it was just a burb of Dallas.

All I can think of is like if someone is traveling to North Texas (perhaps Ft Worth) for something and says "I'm headed to Dallas..." meaning somewhere up north, is pretty common. But it really not the same as saying Ft Worth is Dallas just because someone said they were going to Dallas to someone else while they are going to Ft Worth. It is just a general directional description, not really saying it is a part of something else.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 07-21-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I am thinking the same thing. I can't imagine anyone in Texas not knowing that they are two very different cities.

... actually perhaps if someone had just moved to Texas? Even then though I don't know. Ft Worth may not come up much in conversation but I have never heard anyone suggest it was just a burb of Dallas.

All I can think of is like if someone is traveling to North Texas (perhaps Ft Worth) for something and says "I'm headed to Dallas..." meaning somewhere up north, is pretty common. But it really not the same as saying Ft Worth is Dallas just because someone said they were going to Dallas to someone else while they are going to Ft Worth. It is just a general directional description, not really saying it is a part of something else.
I knew a girl from Wisconsin who CONSTANTLY said that. Got on my nerves.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I knew a girl from Wisconsin who CONSTANTLY said that. Got on my nerves.
Lol, well I've done it too.

The whole DFW area has tons of awesome things to do, and lots of people and bushiness but much of it is spread out over so many different areas. I don't think using a directional description is bad given its size, only perhaps a bit lazy (which I am often very guilty of). Like my sister lives in Dallas, but when I visit her and her family we often do things in other parts of the DFW area, including FW. So when I visit I could be visiting any of a whole bunch of parts of DFW even Ft Worth. Saying I am heading up to Dallas when I could also be going to Ft Worth is just me saying I am "Going to Dallas Fort Worth area" in shortened form. lol. Just using the first part of that to be lazy. Basically saying I am going north. If that makes any sense? It isn't intended to imply I believe Ft Worth is anything other than its own city. Because it very much is.

It would be like someone in LA saying they were headed up to San Fran when really going to San Jose but will see much of the area around SF & SJ. No one thinks San Jose is a part of San Fran, but as a directional description for the large area San Fran is commonly used. Or my friend who last week said she was taking her son to Boston to look at Andover for him. Everyone knows Andover and Lawrence are their own towns, but Boston is a better directional description since they also plan on experiencing Boston even though it isn't the reason for the trip. Or someone saying they are catching a cruise out of Houston when they mean Galveston. Of course Galveston is its own city, with an even richer history than Houston or the rest of Texas other than SA, but Houston is what is often used since that is the largest most commonly known place to describe an large area that will be visited.

When someone is visiting a very large area, I don't think it is bad to use the most known entity in that area as the directional descriptor for where they are headed. Lazy perhaps. But I'd never take that to suggest some was ignorant of knowing FW, SJ, Galveston, or Lawrence where they own cities or towns.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,054,938 times
I wonder if this is common in other similar places. East Texans tend to say they're going to Shreveport when they're really going to Bossier City. Do people in Minnesota say they're going to Minneapolis when they're really going to St Paul?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas