Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,964,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac101964 View Post
It's Un-acceptable to have nationals from another country committing crimes in the USA. Many people living in border states now have serious concerns about being a victim of this "war".

This is a result of politicians turning a blind eye on controlling the border for the last 50 years! The attitude has been to just ingnore it and maybe it will go away.
Yep, and putting their need for cheap housekeepers, nannies, and landscaping ahead of the well-being and safety of others. Living near the Border as I did, I got really tired of people of average means who wanted to pretend they were "the elite" by having what amounted to a staff of illegal servants. It's disgusting. Oh, and they loved to justify it by waxing poetic about how they were really being altruistic and helping the poor by hiring the illegals. Give me a break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,022,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Heh, in that area, police officers and drug dealers can be one and the same! The Cameron County Sheriff's Department assisted drug traffickers!

(Former Texas Sheriff)Cantu pleads guilty to corruption

Or like the old Firesign Theater song goes...

"HELPPPPP! It's the POLICE/POLICIA!"
"Police state, No, a peace state,...even though we wear a gun, it's all in fun..."........

Or look at Gary, Indiana, where the cops run the drug trade.....or Chicago, where you see cops selling drugs in the alleys at night.......

Per the Mexican "Policia".....being underpaid with a bit of authority is a very bad combo.......

BTW, here is an interesting pic of a lady found gagged and kidnapped by the "Policia" in a trunk, evidentally doing just fine...nice to see the banditos
threw a few bottles of water in there...how sweet of them!

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-02-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 03:52 PM

398 posts, read 1,412,035 times
regulate pot and use the tax income to beef up border security?

Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,022,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I live in El Paso and would never know we were right next to the most dangerous city in North America. El Paso is still one of the safest big cities in the USA. But ending the "war on drugs" would sure make traveling there a reality.
I'm glad to hear that El Paso and the rest of "Tejas" hasn't felt the impact yet that Arizona is evidentally dealing with.....and I feel it is because they know that Texans wouldn't put up with such nonsense.......just try carjacking even an old guy in Texas, and out pops a Hank Hill like guy with a buzzcut and a rifle...locked and loaded.....

Again, Texans....young and old...male and female, simply don't pony up to such nonsense...and would send them running back to Juarez right quick...

And if they think older women are an easy touch, they haven't reckoned with the Texas breed.......even the over 60 set would get them hightailing it back immediately...

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-02-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,618,947 times
I think Laredo has had some kidnapping problems, but nothing has reached up as far as I am yet. I'll be one of those Texan's that'll fight back for sure!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,296,135 times
Ronald Reagan's war on drugs dang look how far we come.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,618,947 times
Sometimes the size of the army doesn't matter, it's the determination. Besides, I'm willing to bet there are a few Americans keeping a secret stash of similar weapons (except maybe rocket launchers). I remember right before we moved back to Texas, we took an offroad trip up into the mountains around Idaho Springs, Co. and up a little ways was this abandoned mine area. While we were there, a truckload of men pulled up and took out several automatic rifles just like the ones in that picture, and even a few machine guns and started shooting them. We had our daughter with us too. She was barely 2 at the time. They were so loud it even startled my husband. So is a truckload of men in Colorado had them, I can only imagine how many others do too.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,047,164 times
The way county goverments are set up in Texas makes them very vulnerable to corruption - some have been open jokes for decades (Grayson, Denton Counties). I shudder to think how bad it could get with the drug cartels going in...

Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,707,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Yep, and putting their need for cheap housekeepers, nannies, and landscaping ahead of the well-being and safety of others. Living near the Border as I did, I got really tired of people of average means who wanted to pretend they were "the elite" by having what amounted to a staff of illegal servants. It's disgusting. Oh, and they loved to justify it by waxing poetic about how they were really being altruistic and helping the poor by hiring the illegals. Give me a break!
You are on the money - the hypocrisy is astounding. It's amazing that people begin to think of $10/hour floor installers and $9/hour maid service as necessities to their lifestyle. If you want to protect American jobs, especially in this tough economy, don't hire these folks.

Back to the topic I have not seen anything as far as "spillover" in the Austin area.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 PM

398 posts, read 1,412,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
You are on the money - the hypocrisy is astounding. It's amazing that people begin to think of $10/hour floor installers and $9/hour maid service as necessities to their lifestyle. If you want to protect American jobs, especially in this tough economy, don't hire these folks.

Back to the topic I have not seen anything as far as "spillover" in the Austin area.

$9/hr for maid service...

more like $40 a day. 9-5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas