Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 AM

23 posts, read 70,827 times

Advertisements

Which part of Texas has to deal with those, as bad as say...Kansas? I understand anywhere can get one out of the blue, but I mean where are those a regular thing? I don't really want to move to somewhere that has too much of a chance of a natural disaster-not an area that has major hurricane, tornadoes, earthquakes...and I want to state writing down areas for possible relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2006, 12:53 PM

121 posts, read 814,320 times
I guess I would have to say that North Central Texas has a great deal of severe weather, including the occasional tornado. In my opinion, as you push east from Fort Worth or Dallas, it seems that the incidence of severe weather drops somewhat. I know there's crappy weather west of the area, too, but the population begins to spread out rapidly, so there's less damage. Regardless, the odds of being hit by a tornado are just about slim to none. Having your car totaled by a hail storm, that's a different story altogether...

Old 06-25-2006, 02:59 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,265 times
Most tornados in Texas occur in an area bounded on the west by the TX/NM line along the Panhandle,on the north by the OK border,on the east about to Ft.Worth,and on the south somewhere around San Antonio.But like the previous poster said,the chances of being in one are astronomically small,and certainly not a legitimate reason to avoid moving into this area.The weather in say,Minnesota,which has few tornados,claims more lives than tornados in Texas.How many people are killed in car wrecks on icy roads in northern states?And this type of weather affects the whole area and puts large numbers of people at significant risk.Texas has a handful of people killed in tornados every year,maybe 10-15 in the whole state.Or how many people die in Chicago or NYC from a heat wave?Many more than are killed by tornados in Texas.It's just that a tornado presents a graphically violent scene that exagerrates it's real danger.If you wish to live a safe,secure and happy life,the area of the most tornado activity would actually be the place to go.Low crime,good schools,slower laid back atmosphere with good neighbors,very little traffic,no air pollution,etc.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:47 AM

20 posts, read 244,635 times
Default tornadoes?

Where are the best places in Texas in regards to tornadoes? Which area sees the least amount?

Old 09-24-2006, 09:45 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Default Tornadoes in Texas

Tornadoes can happen anywhere. However, most occur in the Tornado Alley (see link below). In Texas, this "alley" generally extends north of Austin, up through Dallas/Forth Worth area and continues north into Oklahoma and beyond. Of course, you can have tornadoes spawned by hurricanes when they slam into the coast.

http://www.tornadochaser.net/tornalley.html

Old 09-24-2006, 10:06 AM

20 posts, read 244,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Tornadoes can happen anywhere. However, most occur in the Tornado Alley (see link below). In Texas, this "alley" generally extends north of Austin, up through Dallas/Forth Worth area and continues north into Oklahoma and beyond. Of course, you can have tornadoes spawned by hurricanes when they slam into the coast.

http://www.tornadochaser.net/tornalley.html
Thanks for the info! I'm in south Florida, so I know a little about the hurricane-spawned tornadoes.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:11 PM

121 posts, read 814,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roslein View Post
Where are the best places in Texas in regards to tornadoes? Which area sees the least amount?
On average, there are approximately 80 tornado related deaths in the US every year, out of the 300 million or so folks living in this country. Fear of tornadoes shouldn't affect where you plan to live. While very fierce and intense, they affect miniscule portions of the population annually.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:20 PM

20 posts, read 126,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_catch_tree_bass View Post
Fear of tornadoes shouldn't affect where you plan to live.
I lived in California all my life and many people said over and over again, "I'd NEVER live in California! The earthquakes!!" but I was only in 1 big one in 45 years. It was big enough to scare the crap out of me, but once in 45 years wasn't a reason to leave. Granted, I didn't live in a fault zone - I ain't stupid! But there's a whole lot of California that has never had more than a little shaking.

I think of tornadoes the same way - I'm willing to "chance" it by moving to Texas, because most people say you get a little warning so you can take shelter. Earthquakes don't give you warning :-) And I know people who have lived their whole lives in Texas and never saw a tornado up close.

Where in this country can you move to that doesn't have SOMETHING? Hurricanes in Florida, tornadoes in Texas, earthquakes in California, volcano eruptions in Washington? You just live with it and be prepared.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:54 PM

92 posts, read 673,792 times
Default Tornadoes and earthquakes in Texas

Lived in Texas all my 54 years.
Have several times seen pre-cursor funnel clouds in the distance.
Only once in Central Texas have I actaully seen a tornado, although they are not uncommon around here..Last of May several years ago, the F-5 tornado that destroyed city of Jarrell (norht of Austin on I-35) came through Cedar Park.
It was actually fascinating to watch at quite some miles away...even mesmerizing...but when the group of us saw it coming closer, we all headed for home to seek refuge in our bathrooms (generally safest place.)

Earthquakes in Central Texas, ironically virtually non-existent, even though we lie right along Balcones Fault Line.....pretty darned dormant, seemingly almost completly so...the the link below.
The Fault does account for much of the beautiful scenery around Texas however.
I have no fear of any earthquakes around here, and only minimal concern about a tornado ripping through my home....usually PLENTY of warning of where they are developing, where they're headed, so as to seek safe refuge in plenty of time.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...s/BB/rxb1.html

Old 09-25-2006, 09:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Default Jarrell F5 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman107 View Post
Lived in Texas all my 54 years.
Have several times seen pre-cursor funnel clouds in the distance.
Only once in Central Texas have I actaully seen a tornado, although they are not uncommon around here..Last of May several years ago, the F-5 tornado that destroyed city of Jarrell (norht of Austin on I-35) came through Cedar Park.
It was actually fascinating to watch at quite some miles away...even mesmerizing...but when the group of us saw it coming closer, we all headed for home to seek refuge in our bathrooms (generally safest place.)
I remember TV and Radio Stations in San Antonio asking for donations after the F5 tornado hit Jarrell. We took up a couple of bags of groceries and dropped them off at the local church. As we were leaving, I turned on the wrong road (to avoid a traffic jam) and we ended up going through the area that was hit. It was terrible, no asphalt, no grass, and the houses were completely gone, just the foundations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas