Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times

Advertisements

There's lots of talk about making 6 state univs into "Tier One" Univerisites.

Anyone know the impact?

University of Texas - El Paso a nice school -with a pretty campus is one of them.

On the other hand Sam Houston State in Huntsville whose Criminal Justice program is always ranked in the Top 3 in the nation doesn't seem to care about that. Does it matter?

University of North Texas a really good school in Denton -especially in Music and Public Admin- Political Science also doesn't seem to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
I have a hard time believing that UTEP will be considered Tier 1. If I were to assess what the top 6 universities in Texas are I would think something along the lines of Rice, UT-Austin, Texas A&M, UT-Dallas, SMU & Texas Tech ...

Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Tiers just represent how much money the university brings in from scholarships and in other ways. It is top tier in regards to business dealings not so much in quality of education. Quality is subjective.

North Texas doesn't bring in a lot of money when compared to top tier yet the quality of education is considered excellent in several of their programs.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
I have a hard time believing that UTEP will be considered Tier 1. If I were to assess what the top 6 universities in Texas are I would think something along the lines of Rice, UT-Austin, Texas A&M, UT-Dallas, SMU & Texas Tech ...
We're not talking Tier One in the US News Rankings, we are talking about Tier One Research schools...which SMU and, I believe, Texas Tech are not a part of either (not a knock against those schools; I am a student at SMU).

Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 PM

Just because the university brings in a lot of money for research doesn't mean the quality of the school is any good. A lot of times the research projects are virtually useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
We're not talking Tier One in the US News Rankings, we are talking about Tier One Research schools...which SMU and, I believe, Texas Tech are not a part of either (not a knock against those schools; I am a student at SMU).

Old 03-04-2009, 02:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
IMO--it just means higher taxes and higher salaries for admins--who can say they are worth more if they are working at top-tier school
frankly I think it is all about self-aggrandizement for the people who work there...
a great college is born out of great vision and people in this state legislature and the colleges I see are not that kind of people--they think building a bridge over a river is a big deal or starting up a successful football team to bring in bowl money vs giving students a world-class education...

Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Just because the university brings in a lot of money for research doesn't mean the quality of the school is any good. A lot of times the research projects are virtually useless.
Not to discount research at all, but I have always felt that the primary purpose of a university is to teach, with a secondary emphasis on creating new knowledge.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Exactly "top tier" doesn't mean anything to students. "Top tier" just means how rich the school system or university is.

Research is great but how many millions of dollars really go to expanding libraries, databases, and providing resources for primary research or training instructors or professors to implement enhanced teaching or instruction? The money goes to undeserving salaries and not to the students.

Anybody can do research....and most research discovered by students is virtually meaningless to our society. Every once in a while a graduate research student will discover something worth while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Not to discount research at all, but I have always felt that the primary purpose of a university is to teach, with a secondary emphasis on creating new knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
IMO--it just means higher taxes and higher salaries for admins--who can say they are worth more if they are working at top-tier school
frankly I think it is all about self-aggrandizement for the people who work there...
a great college is born out of great vision and people in this state legislature and the colleges I see are not that kind of people--they think building a bridge over a river is a big deal or starting up a successful football team to bring in bowl money vs giving students a world-class education...

Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Exactly "top tier" doesn't mean anything to students. "Top tier" just means how rich the school system or university is.
It means something to students when they graduate and have that degree on the wall from a top-tier school. Especially if they are looking to be hired into an R&D department.. sure, they may not have done any research that leads to anything at school. But they probably had the tools and money to get the experience necessary to flourish in a corporate R&D department. A degree from a top tier school means better initial offers from employers, more money to start, etc.

Quote:
Anybody can do research....and most research discovered by students is virtually meaningless to our society. Every once in a while a graduate research student will discover something worth while.
Maybe so, but the money going to research at these institutions is largely not going to student research. It's the post-graduates/faculty that are involved in the serious research that leads to real discovery. Like the development of the Polio vaccine at the University of Pittsburgh... or these internets we're chatting on -- invented at university research departments with defense department money.

The "father of the internet" Vint Cerf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, was a post-grad faculty member at Stanford at the time of the creation of the internet.

So yeah, nothing really important is discovered in university research labs...

Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 PM

^That's what I meant post-graduate research ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas