Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 21,149 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have gone through the threads but still decided to write out my story.
I have been living in my apt for 4 years. A few weeks back a lady with her 5 year old son moved in. All was well, I was surprised ho quite they were when they moved in. Then all hell breaks lose wen this kids starts thumping and running around like crazy and bribing basket ball on the floor and throwing football to the walls. All my walls end up shaking.
First: I walked to to their apartment and introduced my self and welcomed them and explained to them that I go to school and work and I would like to maintain some kind of a compromise in regards to the child's jumping etc. All seemed fine and I went about my work. Oh by the way I had to talk to the lady's daughter as the woman could not speak or understand english and the girl could.
2nd day I walked up to my lease office to tell them what I had done so that all of us were on the same page: to my shock the lady goes to the leasing office and spins a different story that I harassed her and I told her how to upbring her child etc. So there goes out the chance to talk to them or let them know that the sound is too loud.
Option given to me by my lease office: Call the lease office when they are at work so that they can hear the sounds and take care of the matter or call the courtesy patrol, or change my apt.
I called the courtesy patrol twice now only after 9:30 PM. The first time I was fast a sleep and at 11:30 the kids starts thumping so loudly I thought someone was breaking into my house and could not recover from shaking badly for about an hour. Second and third times he just kept going on and on till past 1:00 AM. We keep quite all day along and till past 8:30 in the night but there is only so much understanding you can show.
I need to know if any laws govern this kind of nuisance. Why should I move out of my place? Believe me I am ready to move into my own house but cannot leave the apt until my green card is mailed out and I already told the lease office that's the only reason I cannot move. I talked to an INS officer and he says he would not advice to move because even if I update my address of change it may get tricky if the update was not processed properly etc. etc.
Some one help please

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,912,729 times
Kill'em with kindness. Bake a big batch of cookies, and offer them to child if he promises to not jump on the floor. Do something nice for him, and he will pay more attention to your needs.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM

17,322 posts, read 9,139,416 times
I don't know what city you live in but I'm betting your leasing office would not like it if you started calling the police every time this starts happening late at night. The security patrol is clearly not going to do anything about it.

It sounds like someone is breaking in? Tell the police just exactly that.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 PM

I am Dallas, TX. Believe me, I have tried being nice. It's not going to help in this situtation. As for calling the cops: not an option, my mother will flip if I called cops on a 5 year old. She does not understand why I cannot go upstairs to the neighbor and talk. I tried that twice and that lady(she does not speak or understand english and I do not know spanish) turned and twisted my words. Also I can only talk to the daughter who is in 9th grade and she tells me she does not live there and only visits.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:42 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,996,866 times
Keep a log of all the times you call out the Courtesy Patrol, and how many times you talk with the apartment management about the problem. If after several times they do not do anything about it, you have a case for an attorney to look at. Nuisnace conditions are not permitted by Texas rental codes.

The bad side to this is that you will have to bear it for awhile until you build up a case. You might also let your apartment complex management know that you are keeping a log of everything done, and that might expidite there decision making into solving your problem.

Oh, and if that lady is letting her 5 year old child running around well into the middle of the night, you would have a strong case for a Child Protective Agency to get involved.

Ian

Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,912,729 times
Well let's tally up here:

You can't talk to the mother.
You can't talk to the daughter.
You can't talk to the child.
You won't call the police.
You can't move to a different apartment.

Well, as suggested, you could always have the authorities take the child away. Just drop an anonymous tip to Child Protective Services or the DEA and say you smelled drugs and heard a child screaming like he was being beaten. They will come in and take the child away from his family by force.

If that doesn't sound good to you, then I think your option is to work with them. And I think the best way to work with them is to befriend them. In order to do that, you need to get past the language barrier and show some good will, even though it doesn't seem fair or just.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:28 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,802,662 times
I think the "killing them with kindness" is the best method. I know they are being rude and all, but there's not a lot you can do other than try and persuade them to be sympathetic. Warm cookies a couple of times a month might do the trick. It's sad that you have to resort to that though; I've always been respectful of other people's privacy but a large majority of people are not.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,980,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisred74 View Post
I am Dallas, TX. Believe me, I have tried being nice. It's not going to help in this situtation. As for calling the cops: not an option, my mother will flip if I called cops on a 5 year old. She does not understand why I cannot go upstairs to the neighbor and talk. I tried that twice and that lady(she does not speak or understand english and I do not know spanish) turned and twisted my words. Also I can only talk to the daughter who is in 9th grade and she tells me she does not live there and only visits.

Well if you can't call the cops then invest in some ear plugs. Your S.O.L.

Calling thecops and having a report in hand would get it resolved. But go ahead and keep listening to little johnny run wild bcause he's raised by his sister.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:44 PM

4,336 posts, read 3,538,712 times
You should have Child Protective Services at least have a hand in some of this, especially if children like that have such disciplinary problems.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM

Thanks for all your advices. I have been keeping a log, via emailing one of the leasing agent of the issues. I am in middle of 2 projects with my company and couple exams, which should be done by april 11th. If this issue is not resolved by then, I will call the agency. I wish had some stricter laws against such nuisences. Like I was telling the leasing office, Just tell the mother to control her child after 9:00 PM to 8:00 AM. The mother says she will not do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: