Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,201,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The brutal sun and heat certainly got me down... but jobs, kids, finances, and inertia kept me in Dallas for most of 50 years. But in retirement I was able to make a move. I have settled in the Pacific NW and love it. I am sorry it took me so long.

There are a number of reasons I left Texas (weather, taxes, utility costs, congestion, etc.) and frankly the only things I miss is family but air travel is relatively cheap. I am sure the affordable initial cost of housing and good job market will continue to fuel the growth in Texas but I would not go back.
Good for you to settle some place where you are very contented and even though it took you a long time, it's always better late than never. I hope that will one day be my story, late but not never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,281,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
We have all noticed the Real Estate in Texas. Lots of homes up for sale. Sooo, where are all you Texans moving and why?
Where: at first I thought North Carolina but now most likely Tennessee because no state income tax there and it's close enough to North Carolina.

Why: it's too hot here for us and we want better scenery with waterfalls and mountains.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:45 PM

485 posts, read 1,644,894 times
Heat would be my main reason for moving! Its not that we are under the impression that it never gets hot anywhere else. We know that the Northern states have hot months. Texas just has so many of them. Many days even when the temps aren't very high, you step outside and break out in a clammy sweat caused by the humidity. It seems hot here about 9 months out of the year. My family hasn't yet made the move due to our parents(they love their grandkids) and the low cost of living. Many would be amazed at how inexpensive it is to live in our great state as compared to many other states. I've come to terms with the fact that we must stay here in Texas until we have complete financial security. In the meantime, I can dream and look forward to our future in a much cooler place.

Last edited by robinhood; 03-23-2007 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 AM

437 posts, read 2,231,956 times
Thank you all for your replies. I think it helps me anyway to figure out things in my own mind about moving to Texas.

So, it is pretty much the heat that gets to everyone. Right? Cost of living seems good, jobs are to be had. I know the taxes will make me upset and maybe the utilities.

I think I might have to come when it is the hottest and see if I can stand it. I live in the Desert now so how much hotter can that get? Of course we have low humidity.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. I think it helps me anyway to figure out things in my own mind about moving to Texas.

So, it is pretty much the heat that gets to everyone. Right? Cost of living seems good, jobs are to be had. I know the taxes will make me upset and maybe the utilities.

I think I might have to come when it is the hottest and see if I can stand it. I live in the Desert now so how much hotter can that get? Of course we have low humidity.
You should come in the middle of August.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,772,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You should come in the middle of August.
I don't know where Bound lives, but I know in the SoCali desert where I live 115 is not unusual for August.
More days over 110 than not during summer.
MBG

Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 PM

5,640 posts, read 24,867,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Where: at first I thought North Carolina but now most likely Tennessee because no state income tax there and it's close enough to North Carolina.

Why: it's too hot here for us and we want better scenery with waterfalls and mountains.
Tenn does tax dividends and interest income which puts a burden on those that saved for retirement and lets the wage earners pass. I passed.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:28 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,621,677 times
I am a native and we are moving from San Antonio to Austin cause of a new job for my hubby. The one happened to be the best offer plus most of my family lives there although I don't know yet if that is a good selling point or not! Picking a side of town they don't live in! Did not want to leave the Hill,Country moved elsewhere out of state before and hated every moment.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:12 AM

437 posts, read 2,231,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
I don't know where Bound lives, but I know in the SoCali desert where I live 115 is not unusual for August.
More days over 110 than not during summer.
MBG
Exactly. That is where I live. So I am thinking that gee, the weather in Texas can't be that bad. 110 is terrible for me. I stay in all summer when it gets that hot. Maybe I'll be able to handle Texas. What's a little sweat.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Exactly. That is where I live. So I am thinking that gee, the weather in Texas can't be that bad. 110 is terrible for me. I stay in all summer when it gets that hot. Maybe I'll be able to handle Texas. What's a little sweat.
You've got to remember the HUMIDITY! It can be only 85 here but the humidity makes it unbearable. But come see for yourself before you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas