Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM

469 posts, read 1,447,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Rick Perry's "good intentions" in this case are completely spoiled by his actions the last 9 years as governor. I personally don't trust a single word the man says. He's a corporate kiss-up who's proven to be a lobbyist's best friend.

If it's not building a for-profit, foreign-owned super slab tollway that 70% of Texans oppose, it's trying to set up other sweetheart deals like selling the lottery to UBS at Phil Gramm's urging or forcing every young girl in Texas to get the Gardasil shot that his former chief-of-staff lobbied for.

Perry's an out of touch scumbag. He won the last election even though 61% of voters voted against him. Regardless of where his heart is, it's long beyond time for him to go.
Very well stated! He has done more harm than good.
If my children want to go to UT like their father, I don't know how we will be able to pay for it, thanks to that dill-hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,091,204 times
Go Perry is a tool. He doesn't care about the unemployed. "Governor Goodhair", as the immortal Molly Ivins called him, has got to go!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,601,067 times
Sometimes doing what's popular or what everyone else is doing isn't necessarily the best thing for you. Sometimes you stand alone doing what's right. Sure, unemployment benefits would help some people if they were given for a longer period. But why can't we make up our own State rule about it instead of being puppets for the Federal Government? I, for one, don't want something with tons of strings attached either. I really don't like or agree with anything Perry does, but whatever his personal ambitions or underlying motives may be, I totally agree with him on this. I don't like a lot of what this administration is up to and the less involved we are with much of it, the better.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 PM

8,592 posts, read 14,767,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Sometimes doing what's popular or what everyone else is doing isn't necessarily the best thing for you. Sometimes you stand alone doing what's right. Sure, unemployment benefits would help some people if they were given for a longer period. But why can't we make up our own State rule about it instead of being puppets for the Federal Government? I, for one, don't want something with tons of strings attached either. I really don't like or agree with anything Perry does, but whatever his personal ambitions or underlying motives may be, I totally agree with him on this. I don't like a lot of what this administration is up to and the less involved we are with much of it, the better.
Bear in mind, though, the consequences for turning down that money. The chairman of the Texas Workforce Commission has already said that the state unemployment fund will likely default without the stimulus money. If it does default, the taxpayers will be on the hook.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-13-2009 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: changed comptroller to TWC

Old 03-13-2009, 05:59 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,229,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
"During these tough times, Texas employers are working harder than ever to move products to market, make payroll and create jobs," Perry said at a news conference. "The last thing they need is government burdening them with higher taxes and expanded obligations."

I can't say I'm a big fan of Governor Perry, but he is right on with that comment.
Well, sweet D-Towner....This is definitely something of which we can both agree.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:01 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,229,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
If my children want to go to UT like their father, I don't know how we will be able to pay for it, thanks to that dill-hole.
Let them pay for it. My daughter went to Baylor and Dallas Baptist and she's paying for it. If a person wants an education at a specific university, it can be done.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 PM

398 posts, read 1,411,068 times
Quote:

do really good in school and devote time to better the community, then use that to apply for scholarships?

or save money?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,158,356 times
Quote:

Tell them to get good grades, be leaders in their community and work for it. My parents did not have any money, and my dad lost his job while I was in High School. Guess what? All 4 of us kids went to college. With the help of scholarships, I paid my way through a private college and the other 3 went to A&M.

I think Perry is doing the right thing regardless of the reason.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 PM

2,917 posts, read 3,482,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Tell them to get good grades, be leaders in their community and work for it. My parents did not have any money, and my dad lost his job while I was in High School. Guess what? All 4 of us kids went to college. With the help of scholarships, I paid my way through a private college and the other 3 went to A&M.

I think Perry is doing the right thing regardless of the reason.
Uh oh

Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,162,817 times
9 state Governors have said they are contemplating turning down the unemployment part of the stimulus. It's just that Texas was the first one to make it public and official.

The section in the bill would force Texas to make a permanent change to the state's unemployment rule and allow part-time workers to get unemployment plus get an additional $15 per dependent per week. It also allows some people to quit due to family hardship and collect unemployment as well.

These changes are permanent. After 2 years there will be no Federal subsidy of this and Texas would have to pick up the cost. This cost would be passed to business that hire part time workers.

IMHO I think Perry did the right thing. Why now is the Fed government attaching "strings" to unemployment when they've already given out 2 extensions with no strings attached.

Interviews with other Governors that took the money note that these Governors didn't want to take the money with those strings but felt their states were in such dire straits that they had no choice.

In two years time though those states that took the money will have to fund an entire new class of workers (part-time) for unemployment insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: