Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,537 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are relocating to Amarillo in a few months. We are young and are just going to stick with an apartment for a few months so where are good communities? By the summer though we will probably be looking into homes near good schools, any recommendations? No kids -- yet -- but want to find somewhere to live for a good 5-10 years. My husband got offered a job there which is why we're moving. Is the town really all country like the photo's I've seen online? Is it a small town or pretty good size? Anywhere in the area I shouldn't move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
There are a number of threads on here about Amarillo and the Panhandle area......suggest you do a search for them and see if you can get some of the info you need. After that if you have specific questions I know someone here will be glad to help you if they can. There have been lots of inquiries about Ama lately....must be something exciting going on there!!

As for parts of town.....the best, safest, most convenient to shopping, medical, etc is the south and west. Stay away from the north and east for sure!!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM

5 posts, read 26,915 times
Smile Moving to Amarillo,

Hi my husband I are relodating to Amarillo from the Florida Keys, Looking forward to exploring the west with our RV. We want to know where not to buy a home. We want a great neighborhood that people know each other, maybe get together for BBQ's. We are relocating April 2009. Also I have two little dogs and like taking them to parks any ideas? Can you out any where, ( outside Dinning ) and have your dogs with you? Our kids are grown but we are only 50 years young. What are the best meat markets and farmers market. Thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM

Miss Helicopter......just noticed your screen name! Our business in Ama adjoined the heli factory property there....I used to sit on the back porch of my office and watch them come out the big blue back door with the Osprey when they were building them and experimenting with their flying. Very impressive place!

If you are going to live right in Ama you will want to live clear on the opposite side of town from the factory.....the east side of town (where the factory is) is not a desirable place to live (or even to be after dark!). Since our business was right there, we chose to live in a small town 20 miles east of there......Panhandle. (it was a quicker commute than driving clear across Ama thru traffic). Wonderful place, nice homes, good schools, good people. Lots of the people at Bell Heli and Pantex (government facility) live in Panhandle so it is very accepting of outsiders (moreso than most of the other little towns).... the streets and city services are much better and it has a great library and an outstanding museum. (If you go over there, don't judge it by driving thru on the highway!! You have to go off the highway to the north and drive around downtown and in the west part of town.).

Best wishes.....

Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 23,248 times
I lived in Amarillo for 10 years and the ONLY reason we moved is my husband was relocated for his job.

Amarillo is an awesome place to raise a family. It has, like any city, a couple of spots that are less than desirable, however it truly is a great place. Crime rate is very low, community is just out of this world on "todo's", too much to list....

If you have any questions you can DM if you like.

There are 6 major highschools..Tascosa, Amarillo High, Palo Duro, Caprock, HIghland Park and River Road. Highland Park and River Road are smaller and on the outskirts of town and thus have thier own ISD. The others are in the Amarillo ISD.

Take Care!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
I lived in Ama for 13 years. I regret the day I left and am trying to get back now. DM me if you need any info.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 AM

6 posts, read 17,999 times
Red face Ski info.

I noticed there are some smaller mountains nearby.

Does Amarillo have any Ski areas in or around the area?

Or am I dumb to think that enough snow would accumulate to be able to do such a thing?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 AM

"nearby"??? Well, if you figure 6 hrs away 'nearby', the answer is yes....Red River New Mexico and Angel Fire New Mexico are wonderful ski resort areas - and nice summer camping areas....many people in the Panhandle have second homes there or vacation there. There are some smaller ski areas in Ruidoso NM (about 5 hours). Ski resorts in Colorado (Estes Park, Durango, etc) are 6-8 hours away in the Rocky Mountains. People from all over Texas go there regularly.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgross25 View Post
I noticed there are some smaller mountains nearby.

Does Amarillo have any Ski areas in or around the area?

Or am I dumb to think that enough snow would accumulate to be able to do such a thing?
Just the opposite, If you drive to Canyon, only fifteen minutes south of Amarillo go east on 4th Ave you will be in Palo Duro canyon State Park.
Plenty to see and in the summer months the play "Texas" is performed in an outdoor amphitheater. A very good play!!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM

The OP was asking about SKI mountains.....Palo Duro Canyon is a big hole in the ground.....it's lovely but not a ski area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas