Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

True, it goes yellow before it goes red. Ample time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 AM

59 posts, read 365,059 times
They are a scam. It has nothing to do with safety.

www.motorists.org/photoenforce/

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Red light cams are a quick-fix for city budgets..plain and simple....cities got along fine without them for the entire 20th century....now that budgets are strapped, consider it a sucker tax for folks that can't/won't come to a complete stop....worse things are in store in the future....look for speed detectors on major streets, just like cell towers.......at that point, we ALL should be getting 1-2 100 dollar computerized citation tickets a month.......let's hear it for the cash strapped Nanny state!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Then don't travel through Williamson County if you happen to tour Central Texas, because we have them too. And careful of traveling in Denver. They're there too.

give the guy a break! he is taking a very principled stand not to support a place that scams the drivers and you're making fun of him and his experience. we should ALL not support cities that scam ppl with those. here in san antonio, i avoid balcones heights and find alternate routes.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
if you couldnt stop in time, you were traveling too fast.

thanks for your contribution to the Policeman's Ball...

actually what I meant to say was:

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" cry me a river

Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
give the guy a break! he is taking a very principled stand not to support a place that scams the drivers and you're making fun of him and his experience. we should ALL not support cities that scam ppl with those. here in san antonio, i avoid balcones heights and find alternate routes.
And I'm taking a stand against red light runners. We've had several fatalities around here due to them and the lights have definitely made a difference.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:49 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
There was a study done by Rice University that showed accidents actually increased in Houston where red light cameras were present. The city tried to hide the study causing some lawyers to sue for the information using the freedom of information act. Boy, that really sounds like the red light cameras were placed there for safety's sake, doesn't it? Give me a break. Red light cameras are full of good intentions. Where does that road that is paved with good intentions lead to again?

Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
There was a big ordeal about red light cameras here in Lubbock last year. They claimed putting them up was for the safety of the public, but before they were even put up, the city incorporated the revenues from tickets into the next year's budget. They put cameras at a few intersections (which happened to be the busiest in town) to see how much "safety would be enforced". It turned out that there was an increase in rear end accidents because drivers were slamming on their brakes to avoid running the red light. They were turned off the next day after that study came out and taken down very soon after.

There was an increase in rear ends because people don't know how to smurfing drive. How many accidents does it take for morons to realize you should keep a safe distance from the car in front of you?

LOL, blaming cameras for accidents is about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Nice to see your city bend over that easy because people cried that it's the cameras fault.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:05 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
And I'm taking a stand against red light runners. We've had several fatalities around here due to them and the lights have definitely made a difference.
I concur with you!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
There was an increase in rear ends because people don't know how to smurfing drive. How many accidents does it take for morons to realize you should keep a safe distance from the car in front of you?

LOL, blaming cameras for accidents is about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Nice to see your city bend over that easy because people cried that it's the cameras fault.
A post full of common sense...Thanks you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas