Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,642,718 times

Advertisements

"The Houston metropolitan area added more than 130,000 residents between July 1, 2007 and July 1, 2008, the second-highest number in the country after Dallas-Fort Worth, the bureau said. Among counties, Harris County added more than 72,000 people, trailing only Maricopa County, Ariz., in growth in sheer numbers.

In percentage terms, the Austin-Round Rock metropolitan area posted 3.8 percent growth, the nation’s second-highest behind Raleigh-Cary, N.C., with 4.3 percent.

Four Texas counties, all in the Austin or Dallas-Fort Worth areas, were among the top 10 in growth rates. Fort Bend County ranked 14th with 4.8 percent growth."

Houston population growth ranks 2nd in U.S. behind DFW | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,018,756 times
Just shows that many folks are desperate, and moving to what they think are greener pastures....just a snapshot...

Old 03-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,976,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
moving to what they think are greener pastures.
You don't think the pastures are truly greener? I'd say there are plenty of quantifiable advantages to living in Texas vs. other places, like employment rate, real estate values.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:35 PM

368 posts, read 828,629 times
Let me tell you why Texas is on our radar screen for later in life. I'm currently in Northern New York which is number one in least amount of personal and economic freedoms in the United States. The New York State government is so big it is completely oppressive and people are leaving at an alarming rate. I'm stuck for now as long as my inlaws aren't six feet under.....anyway back to TEXAS, one of my favorite states. Your weather is wonderful, the skies are a brilliant blue, wide open spaces, very friendly people in general, taxes kept in check, business friendly, gun laws, chicken fried steak, diverse geography, cowboy boots and hats, anyway so in many eyes yes TEXAS is greener and hopefully someday we will call it home.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,268,074 times
Looks pretty uneven as far as MSA growth rates are concerned:

Grew Very Rapidly:

Austin-Round Rock 3.8%
McAllen-Edinburg-Mission 3.0%

Grew Rapidly:

Midland 2.6% (Go Midland, West Texas represent yo! )
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 2.4%
Laredo 2.4%
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 2.3%
San Antonio 2.3%
Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood 2.2%
College Station-Bryan 2.1%
Brownsville-Harlingen 2.0%
Odessa 2.0%

Grew Ok:

El Paso 1.7%
Tyler 1.7%

Grew Slowly:

San Angelo 1.1%
Waco 1.1%
Texarkana 1.0%
Lubbock 0.9%
Longview 0.8%
Amarillo 0.7%
Victoria 0.7%
Corpus Christi 0.6%
Sherman-Denison 0.6%
Beaumont-Port Arthur 0.5%
Abilene 0.2%

Ungrew:

Wichita Falls -0.4%

Last edited by Lucidus; 03-19-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 PM

52,587 posts, read 47,747,905 times
I'm glad it isn't slowing. We've got lots of room here. It's all by design.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM

130 posts, read 346,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Thanks for being so welcoming case44! One of the things I love about Texas! You can add us to the list 'cause we are moving to DFW this year and I am sooo excited!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,003,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I guess I gotta be hospitable, but I do disagree here. I wish Texas would ungrow as much as possible, or all the imigration from other states, and Mexico would just stay west of Junction, TX. east of El Paso, TX. and south of Lubbock, TX. then we'd be just dandy!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,018,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
Let me tell you why Texas is on our radar screen for later in life. I'm currently in Northern New York which is number one in least amount of personal and economic freedoms in the United States. The New York State government is so big it is completely oppressive and people are leaving at an alarming rate. I'm stuck for now as long as my inlaws aren't six feet under.....anyway back to TEXAS, one of my favorite states. Your weather is wonderful, the skies are a brilliant blue, wide open spaces, very friendly people in general, taxes kept in check, business friendly, gun laws, chicken fried steak, diverse geography, cowboy boots and hats, anyway so in many eyes yes TEXAS is greener and hopefully someday we will call it home.
FYI, the "federales", otherwise known as big gov't, is in Texas big time, same as any other state...think of Waco....or when they took the kids away from that religious "cult".......plenty of nanny state stuff, including red light cams, in Texas as well.....I recommend moving out to the intermountain west if you REALLY want to get away from the gov'ts crosshairs!

And don't ldealize Texas like it's a Zane Grey western...it has as many problems as any other state

Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 AM

368 posts, read 828,629 times
Just The Facts - U.S. Economic Freedom Index - The Public Policy Institute

Like I said, I'm living in an oppresive state. I also know that Texas has many problems BUT they pale in comparison to New York. I guess I will have to pick up a Zane Grey western, sounds like a good read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas