Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:15 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
but I fear that folks will smoke and drive.

that happens a lot as it is, whether it's legal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
that happens a lot as it is, whether it's legal or not.
Of course,but it'll happen even more frequently with new "ish" users trying to drive after smoking...that's a scary thought.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
When you legalize/decriminalize and/or prescribe whatever, it will involve the government. That would mean regulation. It's highly doubtful that IF it were legal, that people could toss some seeds in the back 40 and grow their own. Just like rot gut homemade liquor is illegal.....homemade doobies or brownies would be as well. There is too much room to tamper with what goes in a joint for people to have free reign to party on. That's a dream world.

Legalizing it wouldn't be nearly as fun as people think it would be when you get down to the brass tacks. Can you imagine the cost of a carton of doobies and the tax on it? And what about smoking sections at a bar or restaurant....second hand smoke would take on a whole new meaning!
People would ASK to sit in the smoking section to sniff a freebie!

I like the idea of putting the cartels out of business....but it would still be sold illegally for those that couldn't obtain it due to regulations. I doubt they would take that much of a hit in the long run.

It's sort of like trying to ban firearms. The people that obtain them illegally would still have them......just like the illegal drug business right now.

No winning in these games.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Marijuana TV Ad

Marijuana can help in appetite, pain, bio fuels, paper, ropes, textiles, yada yada yada
Side effects may cause munchies and drowsiness.

That's it. Now when you watch any other tv ad about meds the side effects are about a paragraph long.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:48 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
When you legalize/decriminalize and/or prescribe whatever, it will involve the government. That would mean regulation. It's highly doubtful that IF it were legal, that people could toss some seeds in the back 40 and grow their own. Just like rot gut homemade liquor is illegal.....homemade doobies or brownies would be as well. There is too much room to tamper with what goes in a joint for people to have free reign to party on. That's a dream world.

Legalizing it wouldn't be nearly as fun as people think it would be when you get down to the brass tacks. Can you imagine the cost of a carton of doobies and the tax on it? And what about smoking sections at a bar or restaurant....second hand smoke would take on a whole new meaning!

I like the idea of putting the cartels out of business....but it would still be sold illegally for those that couldn't obtain it due to regulations. I doubt they would take that much of a hit in the long run.

It's sort of like trying to ban firearms. The people that obtain them illegally would still have them......just like the illegal drug business right now.

You cannot get THC through second hand smoke. So you cannot get high and that's a fact. Bill Clinton just lied.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
You cannot get THC through second hand smoke. So you cannot get high and that's a fact. Bill Clinton just lied.
That doesn't mean people won't try!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,710 times
You know some of the Amsterdamn coffee shops have a segregated/inclosed area for cigarette smokers but the pot smokers can toke up anywhere in the establishment. I hate the smell of cigarettes!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:11 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

have you never hotboxed/smogged/whatever you want to call it?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 AM

361 posts, read 924,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post

Weed is expensive, and a mass-produced legal version would drive prices down, making illegal weed less attractive. Plus the legal weed would be more easily accessible than illegal weed is. Legal weed would easily beat illegal weed unless the politicans over-tax it to where the illegal stuff is significantly cheaper.

Most of the cost of a pack of cigarettes is in taxes, and without all those "punish smokers with unconstitutional-therefore-illegal sin taxes" the price for a pack of cigarettes would easily be $1.00 or so. In places like native American reservations where the state and federal taxes don't apply, they cost about that much. So who bothers to get them that cheap? Not many. High price or not, convenience beats cost; except for maybe New York where they cost so much people do turn to the black market to get them.

As long as the feds and states don't do like Mayor Bloomberg in NY and get over-zealous with the taxes, I think people will choose convenience over cost.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 AM

361 posts, read 924,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
You know some of the Amsterdamn coffee shops have a segregated/inclosed area for cigarette smokers but the pot smokers can toke up anywhere in the establishment. I hate the smell of cigarettes!
I can smell cigarettes a few feet away. I can smell weed close to a hundred feet away, and it stinks stronger and longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas