Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,800,964 times

Advertisements

It mind boggling that Gov. Rick Perry has executed nearly 200 prisoners even more than George W. Bush. Most the inmates where either black or hispanic. Texas has never executed a rich man. Interesting yet Andrea Yates get charge for Reason of Insanity for killing her children. Do you remember Charles Chatman the man that was wrongly excused of rape and spent 27 years in prison or the other inmates that Dallas has freed due to wrongly being convicted. It took a minority District Attorney Craig Watkins to come in and clean up Dallas crimminal justice system in which 18 cases have already been overtuned due to wrongy convicted. If Dallas has 18 cases imagine how many other people in the state of Texas that have wrongly been accused. Think about the south as a whole I cant imagine. As far as I am concerned Rick Perry has blood all over his hand.

18 Dallas County cases overturned by DNA relied on heavily eyewitness testimony

Against Death Rows - Re: 18 Dallas County cases overturned by DNA relied on ....;

Texas Executions Reach Grim Milestone, 400th Prisoner Scheduled to Die | PEEK | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/59857/texas_executions_reach_grim_milestone,_400th_priso ner_scheduled_to_die/ - broken link)

Last edited by Bo; 03-20-2009 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum

Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,907,477 times
I suspect this thread will be short-lived; but some of us are supportive of a legal system that doesn't let convicted murderers spend the rest of their natural lives living at the taxpayer's expense. Let the penalty match the crime.

As Ron White says, "Texas has the death penalty and we use it! Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty. My state's putting in an express lane!"

God bless Texas!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,611,633 times
Rick Perry didn't do it. A jury convicted them. If DNA evidence shows that the person is innocent, then of course, don't execute. I think there are new laws about this nationwide...or at least new ones in the wings. I think the death penalty is only used on murder convictions. Probably, many rich men only commit white collar type crimes that don't incite the death penalty, although the ones that do commit them probably just hire really expensive lawyers to get them off. So, interesting point you make. I'm not sad that Texas is really tough on crime for the most part, but do agree that all the facts should be in before someones life is taken. I feel way more sorry for the victims.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:09 PM

23 posts, read 52,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
It mind boggling that Gov. Rick Perry has executed nearly 200 prisoners even more than George W. Bush. Most the inmates where either black or hispanic. Texas has never executed a rich man. Interesting yet Andrea Yates get charge for Reason of Insanity for killing her children. Do you remember Charles Chatman the man that was wrongly excused of rape and spent 27 years in prison or the other inmates that Dallas has freed due to wrongly being convicted. It took a minority District Attorney Craig Watkins to come in and clean up Dallas crimminal justice system in which 18 cases have already been overtuned due to wrongy convicted. If Dallas has 18 cases imagine how many other people in the state of Texas that have wrongly been accused. Think about the south as a whole I cant imagine. As far as I am concerned Rick Perry has blood all over his hand.

18 Dallas County cases overturned by DNA relied on heavily eyewitness testimony

Against Death Rows - Re: 18 Dallas County cases overturned by DNA relied on ....;

Texas Executions Reach Grim Milestone, 400th Prisoner Scheduled to Die | PEEK | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/59857/texas_executions_reach_grim_milestone,_400th_priso ner_scheduled_to_die/ - broken link)

makes sense seeing as how the majority of violent crimes are commited by blacks and hispanics. its not racist..its just the facts.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM

This is really just to bring awareness about our justice system and I am not defending murders but alot of people have wrongly been convicted of crimes they did not do.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,020,244 times
anyone ever see the Micheal Moore episode of "The Awful Truth", when he has a mock competition with Jeb, the gov at the time of Fla, to see what brother could fry more prisoners? He actually brought UT cheerleaders with him to cheer on Gov. Bush(at the time), and idiots were cheering with them.......must see TV

Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 PM

Trust me this aint about race and I am not defending murders. This is mainly to bring awareness of our justice system flaws of wrongly convicting innocent people.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:21 PM

199 posts, read 661,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I suspect this thread will be short-lived; but some of us are supportive of a legal system that doesn't let convicted murderers spend the rest of their natural lives living at the taxpayer's expense. Let the penalty match the crime.

As Ron White says, "Texas has the death penalty and we use it! Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty. My state's putting in an express lane!"

God bless Texas!
This

Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,912,323 times
The U.S. Department of Justice statistics show that whites are the majority, both executed and awaiting execution. In 2008. there were 37 people executed, 20 of whom were white, the other 17 were black.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Prisoners Under Sentence of Death Trends by Race Chart (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/drrace.htm - broken link)

Bureau of Justice Statistics Capital Punishment Statistics (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cp.htm - broken link)

Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,611,633 times
Michael Moore just disgusts me. But, I do agree about alot of people being wrongly convicted. It is bothersome for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: