Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
In-N-Out is popular because its in Cali. & we don't have one here...yet. Texans worry too much about what they don't have, which isn't much, we have everything at our disposal & more already.

I remember when the first Krystal's (Whitecastle equivalent) opened in Houston off 1960 a few years ago it was all the rage till the new wore off. Not sure how they're faring now, especially in this economic crisis we're currently in.

You do make a good point about In-N-Out's popularity being what it is, Metro Matt, and what you pointed out is exactly the reason. Texas has a lot of great burger places already, chain or otherwise, so we are blessed.

As for Krystal, when they started here, you had to wait in line for over an hour. Nowadays, there isn't much of a wait at all to get that "bag o' burgers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:56 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
I dined at In N Out in California on two occasions and I can honestly say that I don't understand all the fuss. It was okay but nothing special.

I would rather have (in this order)

1. Whataburger - double meat, double cheese + onion rings
2. Dairy Queen - Hungr buster
3. Burger King - anything flame broiled

And a creamy, thick, chocolate shake to wash it all down!
You have to get their burgers and fries animal style.

"Animal Style" = the meat is cooked and fried with mustard and then pickles are added, extra spread and grilled onions are added.
"Animal Style Fries" = fries with cheese, spread, grilled onions and pickles (if you ask for them).

The Hidden In-N-Out Burger (aka In and Out Burger) - The Most Accurate Secret Menu On The Web (http://www.tiburon-belvedere.com/cgi/home.cgi?c=In_N_Out - broken link)

Old 03-29-2009, 12:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
In-N-Out is popular because its in Cali. & we don't have one here...yet. Texans worry too much about what they don't have, which isn't much, we have everything at our disposal & more already.
I disagree. It's not Texans who are worrying about what we don't have (I could care less whether there's ever an In-And-Out or Trader Joe's here or not), it's Californians (and others) moving in and not being able to adapt to not having what's familiar and enjoying what we do have that's different from where they came from.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I disagree. It's not Texans who are worrying about what we don't have (I could care less whether there's ever an In-And-Out or Trader Joe's here or not), it's Californians (and others) moving in and not being able to adapt to not having what's familiar and enjoying what we do have that's different from where they came from.
I actually agree and I lived in CA for 51 years before moving to TX. One of the great things about moving to TX was that things were different. After 1-1/2 years here we still enjoy looking for restaurants that you can't find outside TX. In n Out Burgers are good but I ate my fill and then some. I was actually disappointed to see Taco Bell, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc.. so prevalent in my area. We had a couple of Sonic's in CA so I already knew what they were like. If I wanted all the same thing we had in CA we would have stayed, Something familiar like Home Depot, Lowes, Marshalls, etc.. are great but when it comes to eat'n we welcomed the TX thang!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You do make a good point about In-N-Out's popularity being what it is, Metro Matt, and what you pointed out is exactly the reason. Texas has a lot of great burger places already, chain or otherwise, so we are blessed.

As for Krystal, when they started here, you had to wait in line for over an hour. Nowadays, there isn't much of a wait at all to get that "bag o' burgers".
Omg Krystal's....that placed lasted like half a year in Waco and closed down. All you could taste was bread and mustard

I feel Whataburger is the closest you can get to mom and pop's burger joints. Wendy's is pretty decent for a fast food joint as well (Baconator!). BK is just messy and nasty. You lose half of your burger just by picking it up.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Braum's has some good burgers.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:43 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
LOL @ big name burger chains being any good

I said it before & I'll say it again. The best burgers are found at the mom & pops joints in small insert town USA. Nuff said

Burger King can't even hold a candle to Texas Burger

I remember when the first Krystal's (Whitecastle equivalent) opened in Houston off 1960 a few years ago it was all the rage till the new wore off. Not sure how they're faring now, especially in this economic crisis we're currently in.
No, it's popular because all burgers are made to order; they don't have microwaves, heatlamps or freezers and they cut the french fries in the store. A double double animal style is close to culinary heaven. When they open a new store a line is around the block for the first week; literally. The one in Utah is doing gangbusters.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:45 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Braum's has some good burgers.
Yes, they do.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Very true!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Yes, they do.
Thirded!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas