Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here's the answer of why some Texans hate California.
it's as clear as it can be, it's 100% political bigotry.
So? Anyone who adheres to a particular political ideology is a political bigot. If someone has values they truly believe in, they aren't going to (and shouldn't) water down those beliefs to be "politically tolerant". The whole point of politics is to promote your own side and to diminish the opposition.

Besides, it's not as if liberals are tolerant of conservative ideas. Our political system is adversarial - as it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Sure
all of California is like that, lol.

Just like all of Texas is like this

2011 Tejano Conjunto Festival, San Antonio, TX (2) - YouTube
Never said it was did I?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM

591 posts, read 820,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't hate California or Californians, but I wish they'd stay in California or move somewhere else.
After being exposed to more current and former Californians than I can count since transferring to the U of A last summer from a school in FL, I can say with some authority that Californians would probably be better served by moving to other western states (AZ, CO, NV, OR, WA, etc.) or FL--if employment is not a concern--than by moving to TX, especially Dallas or Houston, due to cultural, recreational, and weather-related reasons. IMO, I think the transition a Californian would be required to make by moving to another western state or FL would be easier than the transition they would be required to make if they moved to TX.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
After being exposed to more current and former Californians than I can count since transferring to the U of A last summer from a school in FL, I can say with some authority that Californians would probably be better served by moving to other western states (AZ, CO, NV, OR, WA, etc.) or FL--if employment is not a concern--than by moving to TX, especially Dallas or Houston, due to cultural, recreational, and weather-related reasons.
Agreed. And we would be spared their endless complaining about north Texas's featureless landscape, the lack of mountains/beaches, and the blast furnace weather in summer and the 'too cold' weather in winter. I'm like...didn't you look at a map before moving here?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM

591 posts, read 820,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Agreed. And we would be spared their endless complaining about north Texas's featureless landscape, the lack of mountains/beaches, and the blast furnace weather in summer and the 'too cold' weather in winter. I'm like...didn't you look at a map before moving here?
My point exactly.

Weather and climate, landscape and topography, demographics, common natural disasters, common household pests, etc. are relatively easy to search and find. On the other hand, traffic, diversity, recreational options, etc. are more subjective in nature; however, you can obtain a general idea about those topics online.

While I appreciate the pro-business attitude of TX, the very strong economy, the lack of a state income tax, and the generally conservative/Republican/pro-Second Amendment vibe, I'm not quite sure TX is where I'd like to hang my hat, at least not at this point in my life. Perhaps I'd be singing a different tune if I had a family because, IMO, neither FL nor AZ is a good place to raise a family compared to TX, for the most part.

After spending close to a year in Tucson, AZ, I've decided that warm winter weather and living within relatively short driving distance of saltwater is paramount to me, so that leaves me with southern CA and most of FL. Traffic, pollution, and overcrowding are so much worse and the COL so much higher in CA than FL that I feel as though FL is ultimately more liveable.

CA, like AZ, is way too far from my family, most of whom live in RI. I don't like traveling all day long just to get home. I also don't like having relatively few, expensive options with regard to flights. Believe it or not, it wouldn't be much easier if I was coming from TX, even though TX is closer to RI than both AZ and CA, because there are no direct, non-stop flights from TX to RI. That's one of the things both my family and I miss the most about FL: short, direct, non-stop, inexpensive flights on Southwest. If, God forbid, there was an emergency at home in RI with one of my immediate family members, I could be there in much less time coming from FL, even if I had to drive (in the worst-case scenario). As my parents age, I think about this more and more; I'm certain they do as well. However, that being said, living in RI or another part of the Northeast is completely off the table.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Hey, Texas has 350 miles of coastline on salt water. It ain't Florida, but some of it's ok....

Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM

84 posts, read 135,084 times
Wow... this thread kind of saddens me. I've lived in San Diego all my life (born and raised here), but I'm only 28 and with a wife and two kids so I am looking to get a fresh start in life and get out of California (which I believe to be a failing state with unrealistically high cost of living expenses). However some in this thread here seem to resent the fact that I'm looking to move to their state... I'm not looking to change Texas (certainly not to the way it is in San Diego) and I look forward to the future day when I can call myself a Texan. Yet because I was born in California, which is obviously out of my control, some Texans feel resentment towards me because I don't want to remain in California?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Not at all. The Californians that Texans have problems with are the ones who move here and then complain endlessly because Texas isn't California and, even worse in their eyes, doesn't want to BE California, and who work relentlessly to try to turn Texas INTO California. If you're moving here because you love Texas, you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM

84 posts, read 135,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not at all. The Californians that Texans have problems with are the ones who move here and then complain endlessly because Texas isn't California and, even worse in their eyes, doesn't want to BE California, and who work relentlessly to try to turn Texas INTO California. If you're moving here because you love Texas, you'll be welcomed with open arms.
That's perfectly understandable, I guess when I read posts like this:
Quote:
This, plus some of us are sick of the overcrowding, threats of rolling blackouts, and watering restrictions too. It demonstrates to me that infrastructure that was once sufficient for a smaller population has not kept up with population growth...and all of us suffer for that. All of us pay for it. I'm sick of it.

I don't hate California or Californians, but I wish they'd stay in California or move somewhere else.
It just is off-putting to me.

That said, I personally am not looking to change Texas at all. What's the point of moving if you want to change the place you are moving to into the place you are moving from? Might as well not move at all then.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Well, there is a problem with growing faster than the infrastructure can (especially when we're talking about water, but those problems are something that I believe anyone from California, with its history, should understand), but that's nothing specifically against Californians - that's just overcrowding. But somehow I suspect overcrowding as we define it and overcrowding as someone from, say, LA or NYC, would define it, are not the same thing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas