Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM

84 posts, read 135,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It was a rhetorical question.

Yet you've got half the people in the thread piling on, implying that I'm an a-hole because I am against urban sprawl and the problems brought on by rapid population growth. It has nothing to do with individuals and nothing to do with California, and everything to do with what is happening here in Texas due to our ****-poor infrastructure (thanks a pantload Rick Perry) and general lack of preparedness/refusal to prepare for the onslaught.

I see what's happening to once-beautiful cities like Austin which are now choked solid with traffic and practically unrecognizeable from the cities they were even 10 years ago. I see Dallas's suburbs romping merrily and seemingly unstoppably all the way to the Red River. I see the threats of rolling blackouts when the temps soar and electricity usage threatens to overwhelm the system. I see the stage 3 watering restrictions I have to put up with, partially due to zebra mussels but also exacerbated by rapid population growth. All of these problems are either caused by, or are greatly exacerbated by, people moving here from other states.

It has nothing to do with you. I don't like the changes in my state and particularly in Austin and north Texas. You're just a drop in a massive bucket.

Would I bail if I were in your shoes? Probably, but I wouldn't come here.

As for the rest of you...I am far from alone in feeling this way. You may not agree with me, but don't make me out to be the bad guy. At least I have the guts to say it.
Perhaps next time state it as such? You can't interpret tone very well from text so it is usually to be taken in it's literal form.

Half the people? There you go again with the straw man statements. I just started posting in this thread within the last couple pages, and ONE other person has mentioned you in their posts since then. If you feel like people are piling on, that's because of what you are saying, not what I'm saying. I don't really see anyone here claiming you are the bad guy.

If you believed my previous comment to not be in jest, then I absolutely apologize. I was trying to be light-hearted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamewiz View Post
Perhaps next time state it as such? You can't interpret tone very well from text so it is usually to be taken in it's literal form.

Half the people? There you go again with the straw man statements. I just started posting in this thread within the last couple pages, and ONE other person has mentioned you in their posts since then. If you feel like people are piling on, that's because of what you are saying, not what I'm saying. I don't really see anyone here claiming you are the bad guy.

If you believed my previous comment to not be in jest, then I absolutely apologize. I was trying to be light-hearted.
I'm not going to go back through the thread and quote the snark that caused others to pile on.

At least you're headed to Houston and not to DFW...nothing personal, I could just do with one less car on the road in the morning.

Have fun down there. At least in Houston you have HEB. Our supermarkets here SUCK.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
El cajon means "the drawer". That always amused me for some reason.

The Woodlands, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Master planned community outside of Houston. I hear it's lovely. My company's HQ is in Houston and a lot of our Houston-based employees live there.
Interesting... thank you! Sounds like "The Woodlands" would have a lot of woods. I'll have to keep this place in mind.

And I agree... El Cajon makes absolutely no sense, lol.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Interesting... thank you! Sounds like "The Woodlands" would have a lot of woods. I'll have to keep this place in mind.

And I agree... El Cajon makes absolutely no sense, lol.
I pass through lots of woodsy areas on my way to Houston from Dallas; it isn't a spectacular landscape by any means but there are some pretty areas.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I pass through lots of woodsy areas on my way to Houston from Dallas; it isn't a spectacular landscape by any means but there are some pretty areas.
I guess it's all subjective. My wife and I personally love wooded areas... granted any woods you get here in SD are in mountainous areas only (anything flat here is a desert...), but woods are woods, right?

Last edited by Gamewiz; 06-05-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I guess it's all subjective. My wife and I personally love wooded areas... granted any woods you get here in SD are in mountainous areas only (anything flat here is a desert...), but woods are woods, right?
Woods are pretty, but Houston is not all woodsy. It's like any other major city...built-up with lots of roads and highways that retain a ton of heat. Some corporate campuses have nice landscaping. I think you'll find the prettier parts in the suburbs. Houston's suburbs seem to have more of a master-planned feel to them than Dallas's suburbs do.

I couldn't live there, but it's a perfectly nice place to live. I'm put off by the humidity and the lack of zoning but that's just me. I know many people who live there and love it.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Woods are pretty, but Houston is not all woodsy. It's like any other major city...built-up with lots of roads and highways that retain a ton of heat. Some corporate campuses have nice landscaping. I think you'll find the prettier parts in the suburbs. Houston's suburbs seem to have more of a master-planned feel to them than Dallas's suburbs do.

I couldn't live there, but it's a perfectly nice place to live. I'm put off by the humidity and the lack of zoning but that's just me. I know many people who live there and love it.
Thank you for your input. How bad is the humidity in the areas around Houston? We talking like Florida or Washington DC humidity?

-EDIT-

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6-...28777549_zpid/
Holy crap you can get a home like this for $210k in The Woodlands??? If that was in San Diego I kid you not that home would cost upwards of $800-900k easy, lol!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your input. How bad is the humidity in the areas around Houston? We talking like Florida or Washington DC humidity?

-EDIT-

6 Berryfrost Ln, Spring, TX 77380 - Zillow
Holy crap you can get a home like this for $210k in The Woodlands??? If that was in San Diego I kid you not that home would cost upwards of $800-900k easy, lol!
That's in Spring; IIRC Spring is south of The Woodlands and is its own little town. Maybe someone from Houston can clarify.

The humidity in Houston is legendary. The AM humidity averages over 80% year-round, and almost always over 90% in summer. In the afternoon it drops off into the 60%-70% range. Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio are about 10 percentage points below that. Houston is as humid as Florida and more so than DC.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
That's in Spring; IIRC Spring is south of The Woodlands and is its own little town. Maybe someone from Houston can clarify.

The humidity in Houston is legendary. The AM humidity averages over 80% year-round, and almost always over 90% in summer. In the afternoon it drops off into the 60%-70% range. Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio are about 10 percentage points below that. Houston is as humid as Florida and more so than DC.
Ah, when I searched Zillow it showed it as within the same district as The Woodlands. Maybe it's a little town within the Woodlands community? I dunno.

Gotcha... San Diego averages around 76% - 84% during summer/fall months (during the day), and drops to lower to mid 70s during winter/spring. So it sounds like the Dallas, Austin, San Antonio areas are more similar in that respect as opposed to Houston, which has more brutal summer days but at least fairly mellow in the evenings.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Well Gawd dawg, if Texas didn't go ahead and make itself so dang attractive to everybody else, we wouldn't have all these problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas