U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 AM

40,871 posts, read 42,205,233 times
I thnik it is because we are seeing so many Californians move to the state. They mostly tend to bad mouth their own state so much that Texans have to wander if their moving here isn;'t a bad thing.Its like complaining of a disease then come coughing next to someone really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 01:10 PM

815 posts, read 893,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Right on, sister I know the large cities in Texas are mostly Democratic. Now we need to get the rest of the state to leave the nasty GOP!
Can you tell me why California known as Loony Leftist Government is cashless currently?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 PM

8,613 posts, read 15,420,921 times
Because of all their social programs probably.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:00 AM

830 posts, read 729,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Because of all their social programs probably.
I wouldn't knock California's and other progressive state's social programs. Texas, a so-called rich state leads the nation in uninsured children. That's a disgrace and a travesty. Texas also spends very little on education on a per student basis which has lead to high dropout rates and generally dumber kids. Another shameful distinction. Don't get me wrong. Texas is great on many levels. Just not on taking care of its needier citizens and its undereducated.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 AM

83 posts, read 127,866 times
Can't we all just get along?

Old 07-05-2009, 07:11 AM

5,031 posts, read 7,519,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macintosh Sauce View Post
Can't we all just get along?
It would be nice, but not in this life.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 AM

15,964 posts, read 21,030,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I wouldn't knock California's and other progressive state's social programs. Texas, a so-called rich state leads the nation in uninsured children. That's a disgrace and a travesty. Texas also spends very little on education on a per student basis which has lead to high dropout rates and generally dumber kids. Another shameful distinction. Don't get me wrong. Texas is great on many levels. Just not on taking care of its needier citizens and its undereducated.
Well, here's a thought. How about some balance? How about social programs only for those who really need them and with an emphasis on getting them to the point that they don't need them for more than a very short time - in other words, really helping those who need it the most, and being relatively strict in the definition of who that is?

It's a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Throwing money, rather than thought, at a problem is not a solution, by the way, especially if every time someone has a hangnail it becomes a need for a social program. And doing that can cause a state to go bankrupt, and, in and of itself, create entire new classes of "needy".

Old 07-05-2009, 08:55 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,671,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
californians have singlehandedly ruined Austin, a once beautiful easy going inexpensive city.
What an absurd, untrue statement. First Austin isn't ruined and two even if it was former residents of California would of only had a small hand in it. Austin is still relatively inexpensive given the quality of life we have here and yes for the most part it is still laid back and easy going.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:51 AM

1,548 posts, read 2,577,393 times
I'm a native Texan & have never in my life heard anyone say " Oh, I really hate those Californians."

Never. Sorry, I just don't see any validity to this one.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:18 AM

7,029 posts, read 6,380,815 times
If there is any significant animosity between California and Texas, it may have some of its origins in the fact that many Californians came from Texas in the past and many new Texans are coming from California now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas