Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:07 PM

14 posts, read 54,277 times

Advertisements

I heard Hallsville is very nice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Tyler ! Read posts on Tyler, just pull it up. Okay, lol Lots of areas in Tyler are very upscale. Many medical professionals, oil money, retire money, just plain money. The Cascades - $500,000 to $2 - $3 million. Holly Tree, Stonegate. Old money Azalea District. etc. But sure, they're nice areas in Longview too, we're distant "cousin" cities if not "sister" cities. lol

Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Tyler ! Read posts on Tyler, just pull it up. Okay, lol Lots of areas in Tyler are very upscale. Many medical professionals, oil money, retire money, just plain money. The Cascades - $500,000 to $2 - $3 million. Holly Tree, Stonegate. Old money Azalea District. etc. But sure, they're nice areas in Longview too, we're distant "cousin" cities if not "sister" cities. lol
How up-scale do you want? I agree.....Tyler is your spot! Well....really Lindale ....we have The Thicket...Stallion Ranch Lake......Hideaway Lake, HollyLake Ranch......

Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 PM

216 posts, read 934,856 times
I wouldn't call Hallsville Upscale. There are some very nice homes, but the community is rural in every aspect.

Bar-K Ranch, Hunter's Creek, Fountain Place, Several in Spring Hill, The gated subdivision? on 4th Street, acreage toward Harleton & Diana, parts of Wildwood, new ones on Hawkins across from Rose Heights, Along H.G. Mosely, and several more. A realtor would love the opportunity to show you around.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Upscale . . . . around Longview?

hmmm, maybe Dallas?

Anything that is East Texas and "upscale" are mutually exclusive.

I am very fond of East Texas in an Andy Griffith / Mayberry sort of way, but upscale it is not.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Philip, you must come to Tyler and drive around. Then you will be truly be informed about Tyler !!. In the last 20 years, literally thousands of people have moved to Tyler from DFW, Houston, East and West Coasts and and all points in the middle. I let several similiar comments of yours about East Texas go unanswered before. You must have a grudge against the area are just not really aware of Tyler in particular. Yeah, a bit "testy" am I, you hit a "nerve". Anyway, come visit. As I've said before. The Azalea District, The Cascades, Holly Tree, Stone Gate, The Woods etc million to million plus areas.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I would agree. Tyler has many upscale areas and I am taking upscale compared to Dallas not East Texas. That Dream Home HGTV built on Lake Tyler is not the only nice place out there.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Philip, you must come to Tyler and drive around. Then you will be truly be informed about Tyler !!. In the last 20 years, literally thousands of people have moved to Tyler from DFW, Houston, East and West Coasts and and all points in the middle. I let several similiar comments of yours about East Texas go unanswered before. You must have a grudge against the area are just not really aware of Tyler in particular. Yeah, a bit "testy" am I, you hit a "nerve". Anyway, come visit. As I've said before. The Azalea District, The Cascades, Holly Tree, Stone Gate, The Woods etc million to million plus areas.

Yeah I agree, it gets kind of old after a while of people implying that East Texas is just some untapped, uncivilized "Mayberry" as one poster put it. No doubt, there are parts of East Texas that are nowhere near "upscale" (as objectively as that term is being used here)..but to act as though the entirety of East Texas has NO cities with wealth, and no areas of refinement is just ignorant to the reality that exist in present day East Texas.

Its a lot like someone traveling to somewhere in North Texas (say Gainsville, but ignoring Dallas), or Southeast Texas (Vidor, but ignoring Houston) and then stating that North Texas is like Mayberry, or Southeast Texas is Mayberry. When the truth is the person CHOSE to ignore the most influential and prosperous cities/areas in those respective regions. And truthfully, sensible people from just about any other state would never perceive a city of over 100,000 as "Mayberry". There are states in which their most populous cities are roughly that size.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 AM

Oh, I should have stated - There is nothing wrong/undesirable with the Andy Griffith/Mayberry "sort of way" we have both in East Texas. I "rather" enjoyed "The Andy Griffith Show", actually one of my all time favorites.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Oh, I should have stated - There is nothing wrong/undesirable with the Andy Griffith/Mayberry "sort of way" we have both in East Texas. I "rather" enjoyed "The Andy Griffith Show", actually one of my all time favorites.

Well, of course. Sort of a Way-We-Never-Were ideal. Overall, I think the area is great. Just did not want to bother a reply to your dignity-in-a-snit routine about there "must be a grudge."

Heather's dad is a town cop further East from you. The family goes back 7 generations out there. Thought of the Andy Griffith comparison while watching him. If he pulls you over there are two rules: Park in the shade, so he can stand in the shade, he will let you go with a warning. Make him stand in the hot Sun, and you get a ticket. Sounds funny, but it is real.

The whole family out there talks in an Andy Griffith sing-a-song way, and it is just delightful. Every morning we are out there, our boys (4 and 2) sit on the back porch with him, drink coffee (de-caf for the kids) and discuss "Matters-of-Deep-Importance." The boys send me back inside and just chat with Grandpa.

We are -re-starting up a section of the old family farm (sat fallow for about 20 to 30 years) -- my project -- and everyone is pretty happy with that. Found my niche.

In truth there are some deep problems, as well. Meth has crept in -- like much of East Texas. The local Elementary slipped below Acceptable last year. But they have a top-rated Football Team, so go figure.

And of course there are the "Upscale Issues." Our daughter loves Ice Skating -- so we stay close to Dallas.

Overall I would suggest a visit to Dallas, and see why you really really do not want "up scale." Seriously back to the start of this thread for folks looking for Up Scale -- Go to Dallas. It is just a Fit-In-Environment thing, borrowing a term from the Social Work world.

I am thankful that Up-Scale does not work in East Texas. You know what I think of if one combines Upscale and Tyler? The HGTV Lakehouse. Now THAT is an "upscale" East Texas comedy/tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas