Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:11 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,144,733 times

Advertisements

I have visited Dallas/Houston on many occassions. My family(Dallas) and friends(Houston) are both trying to get me to move to either one of the cities.

My only drawback in it gets so darn HOT.

Being I am from Chicago and we pretty much spend all summer outside riding bikes. roller blading, hanging out on Lake Michigan, festivals, etc....

Will I be able to continue with my activities and how do you folks deal with the heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:26 AM

17,348 posts, read 9,166,371 times
What do you do all winter?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:28 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,198,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I have visited Dallas/Houston on many occassions. My family(Dallas) and friends(Houston) are both trying to get me to move to either one of the cities.

Being I am from Chicago and we pretty much spend all summer outside riding bikes. roller blading, hanging out on Lake Michigan, festivals, etc....

Will I be able to continue with my activities and how do you folks deal with the heat?
We do all of that here in the winter... Our winter is your summer...

Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,147,953 times
To me, it's only really 'unbearably' hot for about 2 months. And even within those two months, you have heat waves and you have more decent temperatures. It's not like the tropics/subtropics where you're dealing with 107 degree temps and 60% humidity (I was sweating while taking a shower!).

Besides, the way Texans run their a/c units in the summer, you are in greater danger of getting frostbite!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,938,221 times
Texas Summers - The reason God gave us air conditioning, swimming pools & cold beer.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 AM

2,934 posts, read 3,494,975 times
Quote:

Run your A/C, lounge by the pool or lake, Drink Water, learn to enjoy Texas and deal with the Heat and Humidity

I'm sure you can do the above activities; however, there are some unbearably hot days where you will want to stay indoors.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:31 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,240,546 times
Obviously, it's much easier to dress warmly in the cold weather and be comfortable, hence why you can do what you can do in Chicago's winters. Summers in Texas dictate to you what you can and cannot do. If one goes out in the very early morning, it's bearable albeit very humid. Around 7:30 p.m., one can venture out again in the very high temperatures but usually, drier than the a.m. Standing in the shade at the hottest part of the day or even before the hottest time, one can literally keel over. It's very uncomfortable and dangerous. Of course, one must keep hydrated, but that doesn't stop being uncomfortable, but surely contributes to avoiding heat stroke.

There are no two ways about, summer in Houston and Dallas are downright miserable and brutal. The best thing I have found about summer is very late at night and if there's a breeze blowing (to keep the blasted mosquitoes away as well as helping with the heat), it's nice to sit outside. It may still be in the 90s at 11 p.m. but without the sun and with the breeze, it's enjoyable. You can't beat all the beauty of the stars in the sky either (oh, I'm in a rural area so one can see the stars). I don't do outside exercise at that time of night, so I don't really know if one would still get overheated or not.

I do not run my A/C so much one can get frostbite but as one poster indicated, many do. I find that a little ridiculous when Texans are always referring to those "who can't take the heat are wimps." Hmm. Maybe they don't run their A/C at all, hence bringing validity to the comment.

Truthfully though and in my opinion, it is hot for 5 months straight from May to October with fairly hot and humid days scattered throughout the year. It may be 89 degrees which doesn't seem hot but factor in the humidity and what the dew point is, it's downright uncomfortable. We actually had two days in May last year when it was 95 degrees with low humidity. I did not need to run my A/C but when the humidity rose, the A/C came on and never went off until late October.

I am one who keeps the thermostat on 80 degrees and it isn't comfortable. Without the ceiling fans and others, I wouldn't be able to stand it at all. On that degree, it rarely shuts off but I make it by moving it to 82. It drives me crazy when it's constantly running.

Texas does have a humid subtropical climate as indicated on the link below.

Google Image Result for http://www.guide-to-disney.com/weather/subtropical_zones.png

Old 04-04-2009, 07:35 AM

2,934 posts, read 3,494,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Obviously, it's much easier to dress warmly in the cold weather and be comfortable, hence why you can do what you can do in Chicago's winters. Summers in Texas dictate to you what you can and cannot do. If one goes out in the very early morning, it's bearable albeit very humid. Around 7:30 p.m., one can venture out again in the very high temperatures but usually, drier than the a.m. Standing in the shade at the hottest part of the day or even before the hottest time, one can literally keel over. It's very uncomfortable and dangerous. Of course, one must keep hydrated, but that doesn't stop being uncomfortable, but surely contributes to avoiding heat stroke.

There are no two ways about, summer in Houston and Dallas are downright miserable and brutal. The best thing I have found about summer is very late at night and if there's a breeze blowing (to keep the blasted mosquitoes away as well as helping with the heat), it's nice to sit outside. It may still be in the 90s at 11 p.m. but without the sun and with the breeze, it's enjoyable. You can't beat all the beauty of the stars in the sky either (oh, I'm in a rural area so one can see the stars). I don't do outside exercise at that time of night, so I don't really know if one would still get overheated or not.

I do not run my A/C so much one can get frostbite but as one poster indicated, many do. I find that a little ridiculous when Texans are always referring to those "who can't take the heat are wimps." Hmm. Maybe they don't run their A/C at all, hence bringing validity to the comment.

Truthfully though and in my opinion, it is hot for 5 months straight from May to October with fairly hot and humid days scattered throughout the year. It may be 89 degrees which doesn't seem hot but factor in the humidity and what the dew point is, it's downright uncomfortable. We actually had two days in May last year when it was 95 degrees with low humidity. I did not need to run my A/C but when the humidity rose, the A/C came on and never went off until late October.

I am one who keeps the thermostat on 80 degrees and it isn't comfortable. Without the ceiling fans and others, I wouldn't be able to stand it at all. On that degree, it rarely shuts off but I make it by moving it to 82. It drives me crazy when it's constantly running.

Texas does have a humid subtropical climate as indicated on the link below.

Google Image Result for http://www.guide-to-disney.com/weather/subtropical_zones.png
How do you get frostbite from a central a/c unit?

Old 04-04-2009, 07:38 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,240,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
How do you get frostbite from a central a/c unit?
Ask Stan4 as he is the one that said it. Of course, you can't; I believe he was just kidding, but some people really do run them awfully cold which is ridiculous and a waste of energy. They must be wimps when it comes to the brutal heat.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,596,613 times
Quote:

I guess pretty much how people there get use to the cold weather for so many mnonths a year.I really can't imagine me putting up with he cold especialy the older I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas