Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 PM

168 posts, read 573,554 times

Advertisements

We are a married couple in our mid-30s with two boys, ages 4 and 1.5

We are both from the Austin/San Antonio area, and after a period of time in Dallas for work, we are ready to get back to Central Texas. However, we don't necessarily need to live in metropolitan Austin or San Antonio. In fact, if we can find what we are looking for in a more rural area, that would actually be preferred...I am just not sure that we can find it.

- Must have great public schools (ideally small vs. large) or great private school options
- Must be within 1 hour or less drive of Austin or San Antonio airport
- Must have a "community" feel...ideally a master-planned community neighborhood
- Must be set in a true hill country setting...if we are going to move to central TX, we really want to experience the fully beauty of the area
- Must have access to good medical care
- Looking for a brand new home... budget is $500k-$1MM

Initial thoughts -- something in the Boerne ISD? Bee Cave area west of Austin? Dripping Springs?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
I vote Bee Cave's Falconhead West! They've just opened a new phase with some awesome views. I'm moving into my new house in less than 2 weeks. I've already met several of the neighbors, and even though it's a new section of Falconhead, they've already had Social Committee meetings and outings that I'm excited to join.

Besides Eanes, it's the highest rated school district in the area! New 100 acre park is going in on the other side of the community... lots to offer.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 PM

168 posts, read 573,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I vote Bee Cave's Falconhead West! They've just opened a new phase with some awesome views. I'm moving into my new house in less than 2 weeks. I've already met several of the neighbors, and even though it's a new section of Falconhead, they've already had Social Committee meetings and outings that I'm excited to join.

Besides Eanes, it's the highest rated school district in the area! New 100 acre park is going in on the other side of the community... lots to offer.
Thanks, familiar with that area, beautiful. However, how is the traffic out there? And congestion near hill country galleria, etc.? thanks again!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Boerne sounds like a good fit with the items on your list. Since it's so close to SA, you'll probably get the best answers to your questions about Boerne in the San Antonio forum here.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Dripping Springs would fit, perhaps Belterra or Polo Club, and it would be, according to Mapquest, the exact same distance in time from the entrance to those as from the entrance to Falconhead West. Depending on traffic at either location, of course. From Dripping Springs, you wouldn't have the 620/71 gridlock issue, but from Falconhead, you wouldn't have the Y in Oak Hill gridlock issue (though you can avoid that by going a couple of back ways).

So it would come down to a matter of personal taste, I'd think.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
Thanks, familiar with that area, beautiful. However, how is the traffic out there? And congestion near hill country galleria, etc.? thanks again!
It's still a newer area, so less people, so I haven't had any congestion issues at 620/71. Two lanes turn and the others go straight in all directions, so traffic has a nice flow. As more people move out there and more stores move in, I'm sure it might be a different story, but that's going to be the same in all newer areas.

That Y in Oak Hill is horrible no matter what time of day it is! I plan shortcut, but always have my mind on other things when it comes time to exit.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It's still a newer area, so less people, so I haven't had any congestion issues at 620/71. Two lanes turn and the others go straight in all directions, so traffic has a nice flow. As more people move out there and more stores move in, I'm sure it might be a different story, but that's going to be the same in all newer areas.

That Y in Oak Hill is horrible no matter what time of day it is! I plan shortcut, but always have my mind on other things when it comes time to exit.
Really? You haven't had any congestion issues at 620/71? My daughter lived in Lakeway for several years, and so I was in the area quite a bit, and she commuted into Austin, as did her SO, and we all had issues at that particular intersection often. Mostly around rush hour, granted, but we could sit through several changes of the light just to get up to where we could turn north onto 620, or east onto 71.

Actually, it was comparable to the Y in Oak Hill situation, with which I'm also quite familiar.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Really? You haven't had any congestion issues at 620/71?
Nope, no issues, but I'm not sure how long it's had 2 right turn lanes to make traffic go quickly (quicker). I've never sat there more than 1 light change.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 AM

It's had two right turn lanes for a while (heading west - is that what you're talking about)? She hasn't lived there since last August (was in the Caymans and now Canada), but we visited her former SO weekly for some months after that. (Friendly breakup and he's still a friend.) Plus I've shown property in that area recently, as well.

Maybe it's time of day. There are times when the Y in Oak Hill is a breeze, as well, just looking at the worse possible scenario for both of them and they pretty much balance out. Those two intersections are on the news more than most with accidents and slowdowns during "traffic hour".

Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,338 times
I would check out Cordillera Ranch outside of Boerne - Cordillera Ranch – Hill Country Private Community in Boerne, TX Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas