Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 49,315 times

Advertisements

Age requirements vary from handguns to long arms (rifles and shotguns). Black powder weapons are not classified by the BATF as firearms and as such, if you can purchase a BB gun, you can purchase a black powder weapon. There are also age requirements for purchasing ammunition, but suffice it to say, if you are 21, you qualify for age.
For complete information on the laws in Texas, as of January 2008, see this page ...
www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/TXSL.pdf (broken link)
I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 40,221 times
new texas laws allow you to purchase a weapon and walk out with it same day after filling out some paperwork and the store making a phone call to the checking authority, also, you have the right to carry it in your vehicle, but it cannot be visable and or accessable to small children or to anyone that does not have the right to own a weapon themselves. This means that if you have your freind in the vehicle and it is in his or her reach, you could be in violation if your freind is a fellon or has been otherwise turned down for purchase of a firearm. The point is, if you are going to have it, be carefull of who you have in your vehicle with you!!!! Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 AM

new texas laws allow you to purchase a weapon and walk out with it same day after filling out some paperwork and the store making a phone call to the checking authority, also, you have the right to carry it in your vehicle, but it cannot be visable and or accessable to small children or to anyone that does not have the right to own a weapon themselves. This means that if you have your freind in the vehicle and it is in his or her reach, you could be in violation if your freind is a fellon or has been otherwise turned down for purchase of a firearm. The point is, if you are going to have it, be carefull of who you have in your vehicle with you!!!! Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 AM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanS View Post
The new state laws gives a person the right to defend his automobile,home, or business with lethal force without threat of a civil suit. Bout time the state passed a good law!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Can you give a cite to the new statute that says that?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:29 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
That has been the rule for quite a while.... Also nice multiple post...lol. You may want to add that the weapon can not be loaded in the vehicle, and amunition must be carried in a separate area (like the trunk, or bed) unless you are a peace, corrections, federal official, or have a CHL.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
What is the deal with so many people breaking the law by shooting guns on new year's eve? I don't hear guns going off in my rural area where one would think it would be more prevalent, but in Dallas, good grief. How stupid is this? Now, these responsible.....NOT.....gun owners take the cake. The warnings were out about jail time and / or a huge fine, neighbors were asked to call the law on people shooting guns, but the craziness continued again this year.

People who own guns boast about how responsible they are, but are they really? In many cases, yes they are, but in way too many, no they are not. As a potential new gun owner in the future, I give my solemn vow to be responsible to the max.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 49,315 times
Default Hb-1815

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
That has been the rule for quite a while.... Also nice multiple post...lol. You may want to add that the weapon can not be loaded in the vehicle, and amunition must be carried in a separate area (like the trunk, or bed) unless you are a peace, corrections, federal official, or have a CHL.
There have been many misconceptions about the laws concerning carry in vehicles. A new bit of legislation was adopted to take the confusion out of it in Texas, to wit ...

HB-1815: Updated "Traveling" Law Passed in 2005 (currently called the Motorists Protection Act)

Because of its history, terrain, and environment, guns have always been an important tool in Texas. From its earliest days Texans were allowed to carry guns for self-protection and for the protection of property (think: cattle drives, stage coaches, trains, etc).

Texans commonly carried guns while traveling, and the law allowed them do so. However, over the years, the definition of "traveling" came under question. Did it mean traveling across town? Did one have to cross a county line? What if one traveled to another city, but then the next day had business in the same city? Was he still traveling?

The problem was that "traveling" was never defined by the original law, so in modern times a person could never be sure whether or not it was okay to have a gun in his or her vehicle. A study of case law didn't help much, because various judges interpreted it different ways. The conclusion was that if you decided to carry a gun in your car, you were pretty much at the mercy of any officer who stopped you and the court officer he answered to. Fortunately, the definition of traveling became irrelevant for those with a CHL, but what about those who did not have a concealed carry license?

In 2005 Texas passed a bill establishing that a person is presumed to be traveling if he or she is in a private motor vehicle, is not engaged in criminal activity, is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, and is not a member of a criminal street gang. The clear intent was to protect law-abiding citizens' right to carry a handgun concealed for personal protection in their cars or trucks without needing a Concealed Handgun License (CHL).

However, some District Attorneys in Texas thumbed their noses at the intent of the law and even issued public statements saying that they would arrest anyone within their jurisdiction found carrying a handgun in a vehicle without a CHL.

This bill fixed that problem once and for all. It includes the same safeguards passed by the 78th Legislature, but it is no longer an offense for Texans to have a handgun in their vehicles or vehicles under their control. The bill went into effect September 1, 2007.
This was taken from the website ...
This Wasn't In the Plan: New Texas Gun Laws

I personally worked to get this legislation and the so-called Castle Doctrine approved. I really want to be able to have 'open-carry' approved within our state. Remember, if you like statistics, every place that has restricted weapons has seen an upswing in violent crime, including murder. Guns in the hands of law abiding folks works as the best deterrent to crime.
Thank you for your time.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
So, can the firearm be loaded when it is being carried in travel? My understanding is that you can have the gun in your vehicle, but if an officer pulls you over and the firearm is concealed, but chambered then you go to jail? Just curious. I have a CHL, and am an officer, but my wife is not. She does carry a handgun when going out to the ranch, and I insist that she does.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I don't see what good carrying an unloaded gun in one's car is for protection. I have a CHL also, and I carry a loaded gun in my car legally (it only has to be out of plain view). I'm fairly certian that, with the new law, anyone can do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: