Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 12,169 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving to Arlington this June and was looking for advice. I need a good clean safe apartment in a decent area of town? Any suggestions?? I also was wondering about how much will utilities run per month? Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
just like we tell everyone else--where are you working or are you going to UTA--
what is your price point
some apt complexes meter their own electricity--they are expensive--find out if you can choose your electric provider--if you can't, don't rent there

the roads in Arlington are the pits--some of the worst in the area and really bad when it rans pretty heavy...know your shortcuts/work arounds
be aware that some people love to speed race on 360, often without their lights,

north Arlington used to be the better area to live in but it is getting a little shop worn and traffic is not that great with construction on 30 because of the new stadium...and I don't think the restaurants as the better ones
now south arlington around the parks mall is newer, has shopping/restaurants--more upscale

as to safety--I think Arlington has some areas I would not want to be around --it is a pretty big city with the negatives that brings-- demographics in Arlington have been dropping for several years--income/education levels...
check out a crime map--there are several on the Internet that give you different types of crimes...
mainly is is car burglary/theft but there are also rapes/assaults...sometimes the people are known to each other, sometimes not...

Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
I would check out the apartments in Grand Prairie. There are some nice ones located right off I-20 (south of the interstate).

Old 04-22-2009, 10:22 AM

90 posts, read 272,375 times
I lived in Arlington thru most of the 1980's. I lived at a apt. complex at the corner of highway 360 & Parkrow, at the time it was not bad, rents were $250.00 a month (1984) and all bills paid for a eff. Today that complex is pretty bad, car break-ins and crime, drugs. I would say the best apartments would be north of I-30 & Collins

Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Wow ... I've lived in Arlington for 30 years. Can't help but wonder what Arlington some of these posters are talking about.

Live in Grand Prairie? You must be joking. The county line bar joints and no restaurants anywhere but in the far south on I-20? Sure there are some bad roads in Arlington - the same is true of just about any town USA. The north side is "shopworn"??????? Upscale is near the Parks Mall????? That's ludicrous.

Overall ... Arlington has good schools, is bigger than it was when I first moved here, and is still central to both Dallas and Fort Worth. It's diverse, pretty good central government, some areas better than others, some areas worse than others - much like many other cities around the country.

Check the Fort Worth forum to get more info about Arlington and Tarrant County.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the input...as for living in a "city" you expect all those things, traffic some crime etc....I am looking for just a safe clean and maybe fun area to live as I am a single girl moving down to work. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:51 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,155 times
Fireshine are you working in Arlington?

Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 AM

350 posts, read 1,288,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
just like we tell everyone else--where are you working or are you going to UTA--
what is your price point
some apt complexes meter their own electricity--they are expensive--find out if you can choose your electric provider--if you can't, don't rent there

the roads in Arlington are the pits--some of the worst in the area and really bad when it rans pretty heavy...know your shortcuts/work arounds
be aware that some people love to speed race on 360, often without their lights,

north Arlington used to be the better area to live in but it is getting a little shop worn and traffic is not that great with construction on 30 because of the new stadium...and I don't think the restaurants as the better ones
now south arlington around the parks mall is newer, has shopping/restaurants--more upscale

as to safety--I think Arlington has some areas I would not want to be around --it is a pretty big city with the negatives that brings-- demographics in Arlington have been dropping for several years--income/education levels...
check out a crime map--there are several on the Internet that give you different types of crimes...
mainly is is car burglary/theft but there are also rapes/assaults...sometimes the people are known to each other, sometimes not...
The priciest part of Arlington is still North Arlington. That's where Arlington's million dollar homes are and the nicer established neighborhoods. Single family housing market in N Arlington is still terrific, but there's no place to build until Viridian opens lots next year.

There are also some nice apartments over by Veterans Park near Dalworthington Gardens in the center of Arlington. There are plenty of nice options in South Arlington and Mansfield but that's a long hike.

There are also a lot of cheap apartments over by UTA that are safe but largely student housing.

Stay away from any apartments off of Lincoln Rd in North Arlington or anything along Lamar. However, there are several very nice, clean, and safe complexes along Green Oaks through North Arlington.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the info and Yes I am moving to Arlington for employment at Arlington Memorial hospital. I would like to stay in a 20 min commute of the hospital...safe neighborhood, clean newer apartment complex and I am willing to $$ for a good place to live. All suggestions are appreciated!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshine View Post
Thanks for the info and Yes I am moving to Arlington for employment at Arlington Memorial hospital. I would like to stay in a 20 min commute of the hospital...safe neighborhood, clean newer apartment complex and I am willing to $$ for a good place to live. All suggestions are appreciated!!!
Definitely check out some of the apartment complexes around that area or even renting a house might be an option. It is a varied mix in that vicinity from the hospital down to UTA. There are some shadier complexes and decent ones interdispersed throughout that area. I live in a complex right down the street from the University and it is very quiet and safe. My complex is mostly college students who keep to themselves and their studies. BUT you can go right down Cooper and find your share of not so desirable places to live. Really it just depends on what and where you choose. You can definitely find a nice place to live very close to the hospital though without having to pay a high premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas