Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
lilypad..........I happened to be driving thru WF headed west that day.....saw that ugly cloud in my rearview mirror...just kept on going and drove thru the damage the tornado had just done in Vernon....just kept on driving.....I didn't realize til the news that evening what I had just barely avoided.

Similar story here. We were on our way to Dallas, got a flat tire and saw it in the rearview mirror!! A mile wide black wall.... We sat it out, thankfully did not come our way, as we would be sitting ducks for sure. Our place not damaged, but drove around and saw the terrible damage done to the neighborhoods and city. I left soon after, not to came back until years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I was there for the big tornado in 1979! Very green indeed!
Dang I remember that. I was still living in Dallas at the time, but remember all the news casts. That was one bad tornado. When I got stationed at WF back n 1989, there were still empty foundations where houses were blown away.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
ok are you all trying to scare me or just reminiscing?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I was there for the big tornado in 1979!
Me too. As I remember, most of the people that were killed were in their cars. Seeing that mile-wide swath from the air was something I will never forget. It's interesting that "Terrible Tuesday" gets little mention on the Weather Channel or on the Discovery Channel when they do tornado shows. They seem to regard it lightly because it was "only" an F4 tornado. But as for the sheer destruction it caused, I don't think there is another one to compare in modern history. Also, 45 people lost their lives. Very sad.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
Toosie.......I sent your inquiry to my neice in WF and she wrote you a lengthy reply....I just posted it as a DM....hope it helps.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Toosie.......I sent your inquiry to my neice in WF and she wrote you a lengthy reply....I just posted it as a DM....hope it helps.
Thank you Gayle! Your niece's response was awesome - so helpful! I replied through DM also but wanted to give you some public props too

My two biggest concerns now are Transportation (crossing my fingers the bus will be a good option for me) and Weather (tornadoes, wind, heat). The weather is what it is - I'll just have to adjust when we're there and hope that some of it isn't as rough as I worry it could be.

Besides that, there are lots of things I'm looking forward to there and I'm ready to get there and get started on a new chapter in my life. We head there Sunday for a few days just to see the area and my husband's workspace, etc.

Thanks again so much to you, your niece, and the other helpful folks here at the Texas forum

Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
ok are you all trying to scare me or just reminiscing?
Toosie, just reminiscing! In the five years I lived there, I don't recall any tornados in the immediate vicinty. Granted that was pushing 20 years ago so memory fades, but had there been any that had been dangerous, I am pretty sure that I would remember it. Not to worry. That one in 1979 was an abberation. Enjoy WF!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 PM

Thanks Fullback Weather (wind, heat, tornadoes) is pretty much my only concern now. It'd be great if the bus works for me but, if not, I'll get a bike or practice driving again and get a used car!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 PM

568 posts, read 2,419,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I might be moving from Pittsburgh, PA so he can work as a civilian at Ft Sill, OK. I’ve been lurking at the board here and searching Ft Sill/Lawton/Wichita Falls for a couple weeks now. The Oklahoma board sounds so bleak but the Texas board sounds much more positive. We’re pretty excited to make this move, live in Wichita Falls, and he would commute to Ft Sill. A city of 100k sounds just right and I’m hoping to find work/volunteer opportunities in the area. I’ve learned a lot already but still have some questions I hope you all can help me with.
I'm a Wichita Falls native. I moved to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area for 6 months for my current job back in 2004, but when the job gave me the oppurtunity to move back home, I jumped on it. I like the big city life, but prefer the slower pace of Wichita Falls. We have a good bit of the stuff you would want from the big cities without the crowding and traffic. But, if you have a desire for a day or a weekend of the big city, you can drive 2 hours north to OKC or 2 hours south to D/FW and have your fill.

Quote:
Here are my questions/concerns…
Safety - gangs/violence/property crime/drugs – is this everywhere or mostly in certain parts of town? Is meth a big problem? Will I be safe being out by myself during the day and evening?
Like any larger city, we have our gangs and we have our drugs. The worst of those problems pretty much keep themselves on the east side of town. Even then, I've been in the worst parts of town during the day and felt perfectly safe. For my job I spend a little time out taking pictures of cars downtown sometimes in a location where I often have homeless people walking by me, but they're never a bother.

Quote:
Transportation – I see that the public system is small but can a person get around without driving? We will only have one car so I’ll need to rely on my feet, a bike, or a bus.
Our bus system has a lot to be desired, especially if you're on the southwest end of town where very few people use the buses anyhow. Either find a really cheap second car or you'll be building up those leg muscles on your bike.

Quote:
Acceptance – We’re in our 40s, married almost 19 years, no kids. I grew up in Pittsburgh, lived in DC and VA. He is an Air Force brat, 20+ year Army veteran, born in TX, grew up mostly in CA, AZ, AK. His folks are from AR and GA. We’re socially liberal and not religious but most of our friends are conservative. I’m petite with really short hair and fair skin - am friendly & kind but not outgoing or rowdy – not afraid to get dirty or do physical work but even when mucking out a stall people tend to perceive me as delicate. I doubt I’ll blend but do you think I’ll have trouble being accepted and meeting people?
You'll be fine. The town is pretty conservative for the most part, but there are people of all persuasions here. Just read the people you're talking to before you start letting on about your beliefs and see how accepting the person is. I generally keep my religious and political views to myself so as to not get into any arguments that I don't want to. I tend to get along with almost anyone that way.

Quote:
Utilities – It’s just the two of us and we’ll try to rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment or house in the west/MWSU area (preferably not a big complex and not with a bunch of undergrads). Any ballpark idea what the different utility services could run us on a monthly or yearly basis? I’m guessing we’ll have to pay our own water, electricity, gas (for cooking/heating) or are utilities usually included in rent? Is it common to have gas ranges for cooking or mostly electric? Are hardwood floors common or mostly wall to wall carpet?
Most of the apartment complexes are all electric. No gas. Water and garbage is typically included in the cost of the rent. My ex pays anywhere between $100-200 for electricity in the heat of the summer in her apartment. You won't find too many apartments with hardwood floors. Usually carpet and linoleum.

Quote:
Smoking - It seems like everyone in Pittsburgh smokes cigarettes but the past few years have seen smoking bans requiring smoke-free restaurants and such. Is there lots of smoking in Wichita Falls/Texas in general? Are there any or all smoke-free restaurants and bars, or at least non-smoking sections?
We have a smoking ordinance. Most restaurants are 100% non-smoking. They have to have a separately ventilated room for smoking sections. Bars are pretty much all smoke pits. *cough*

Quote:
Water – Drinking and bathing. We drink a lot of water – how is the tap water in Wichita Falls? Is it good as is, will we need a filter, or should we just drink bottled water? Also, my husband loves taking long, hot, high pressure showers. Are there conservation efforts there that will prevent that? For example – do we have to have low-flow shower heads or anything like that?
I drink water straight out of the tap. It's always been fine for me. Once a year or every couple of years the lakes will turn over and the water will taste like seaweed for a week or 2, but it's not bad for you. Just tastes funky. Pressure is pretty good across most areas of town from my experience.

Quote:
Are there pics on this forum from Wichita falls and the surrounding area? I found lots of posts but no pics. Along those lines – are there any blogs by Wichita Falls locals that you can recommend? I’ve found some official sites but am interested in reading more of a personal take on daily life in the area.
What are you looking to learn about? I'm all over this town nearly everyday. Tell me what you want to know.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for your input on any or all of the above questions. Sorry so long but, hey, at least there aren't any weather related questions! Your feedback is appreciated very much!
I will say good choice on choosing Wichita Falls over Lawton to live in. I do not like Lawton. I go up there once a week for about an hour or 2 for work and that's more than enough. They have an Outback Steakhouse, Chick-Fil-A and K-Mart that we don't have in WF, but that's about all they have on us. It just feels dirty and grungy.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
What are you looking to learn about? I'm all over this town nearly everyday. Tell me what you want to know.

I will say good choice on choosing Wichita Falls over Lawton to live in. I do not like Lawton. It just feels dirty and grungy.
Thank you for your response! Now that we're so close to visiting (sunday) I guess I'll wait to see it for myself before asking more questions

Thanks for your opinion about Lawton, too. I see people call it Rotten and am familiar with how towns can be right off a military base so didn't hold out much hope for it. We will look but I really like the idea of having the medical center, university, and relatively more urban feel of WF.

Now that I'm thinking about driving again it opens up some possibilities for location but everything closer to Ft Sill than WF is seems really small. Do you have an opinion about Burkburnett or any other towns between WF and Ft Sill that would be a shorter commute but open to outsiders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas