Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Not where I live.... thankfully.
Yeah I hear ya. Austin definitely bucks the Texas stereotype. These days Houston and Dallas are liberal cities too. Austin used to be the only liberal city in TX. Now Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso are all liberal cities.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:13 PM

252 posts, read 724,343 times
Quote:
my neighbor from New Jersey says Texas is the Midwest
The thugs on the Sopranos were smarter than this.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Yeah if it's one thing they are proficient at doing, it's naming "territories".

Old 01-28-2010, 04:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Texas is just Texas, a thing unto itself.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 AM

50 posts, read 154,126 times
If you google 'what states are in the midwest,' and then click on the wikipedia link it pulls an article about the Midwestern United States up, right next to the article is a picture of what the U.S. Census Bureau considers the Midwest. Missouri and Kansas are the states that are farthest south. So even if you're debating culture and everything it doesn't really matter. If our government doesn't even consider Texas the Midwest. It is definitely not Midwest. However, when we were in school here in MN, we were taught that Texas is in the Midwest. So, they need to fix that.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker0217 View Post
If you google 'what states are in the midwest,' and then click on the wikipedia link it pulls an article about the Midwestern United States up, right next to the article is a picture of what the U.S. Census Bureau considers the Midwest. Missouri and Kansas are the states that are farthest south. So even if you're debating culture and everything it doesn't really matter. If our government doesn't even consider Texas the Midwest. It is definitely not Midwest. However, when we were in school here in MN, we were taught that Texas is in the Midwest. So, they need to fix that.
LOL They sure do!

As a relevant aside here, this general topic (Texas' regional affliliation) is one guaranteed to ignite strong feelings and dispute!

It has been discussed/debated/kicked around/etc., to the point most of the "Texas Regulars" just get an "oh lord, here we go again" feeling when the said threads resurrect themselves (they never seem to die out totally! LOL).

Personally -- like most native Texans of generations rooted -- I think of Texas as being something unto itself. Texas is Texas. First and foremost. Alpha and Omega.

BUT...when it is grouped in with other states in terms of common history and culture? I stand solidly behind that it is essentially a part of the American South.

Definitely, a very unique part of it ("Western South" if you will), but essentially Southern in a majority of the indices which are often used to measure such things (history, speech, politics, culture, etc). That is to say, the aforementioned criteria are MUCH more the influence of the southeast (where the vast majority of Texas settlers came from) than any other part of the country. The real duality -- in both the blending and influential sense in the state's history -- is that of black and white Southerners.

Again, this is a topic which flares up occasionally...in the literal sense of the word. LOL

I think the two things that all can agree on are:

1. Texas is Texas
2. It is NOT part of the Midwest!

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-30-2010 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-30-2010, 09:22 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I think the black community here is quicker to call themselves southern. The Latino community (at least in Dallas) seems to think Southwestern is more appropriate of the ones Ive talked to. Personally, I think DFW is a cross between Southern/Midwestern/Southwestern. The people here seem more southern, the landscape seems midwestern, and the large presence of hispanics make it seem more Southwestern.
This is pretty much 100% true. The Black community in Texas will consider themselves Southern and a sprinkle of Hispanics may do the same. But the majority of the Hispanics will consider themselves Southwestern or Texas. They have more of a relation with people from New Mexico, Arizona, and California while Black Texans have more of a relation with Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas (they also have a relations with Black Californians as well but that's another topic).

Also, yes, landscape wise, DFW is not Southern. It's midwestern. But that's the only Midwestern thing about it. Everything else is either Texan or Southern (mostly Texan).

Old 01-30-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is pretty much 100% true. The Black community in Texas will consider themselves Southern and a sprinkle of Hispanics may do the same. But the majority of the Hispanics will consider themselves Southwestern or Texas. They have more of a relation with people from New Mexico, Arizona, and California while Black Texans have more of a relation with Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas (they also have a relations with Black Californians as well but that's another topic).

Also, yes, landscape wise, DFW is not Southern. It's midwestern. But that's the only Midwestern thing about it. Everything else is either Texan or Southern (mostly Texan).:ok:
That is a weird one, Spade! I mean that in the sense of contemplating what you say. Which I agree with quite a bit...if not almost totally.

I am about an hour and a half removed from DFW and often go there (to visit my brother and sister and their families).

One thing to consider is that a lot of the topography around the DFW area is "east cross timbers"...so it isn't totally "Midwestern" (i.e. flat plains, prarie, etc)...but yes, at least enough that it basically fits the description..

What strikes me most is the "accent" down that way. In most of those ever growing suburbs, it is that bland "Midwest" speech. Far and few between does one encounter the Texas/Southern twang and drawl. The impact of non-Texans from the North have defintitely imprinted....

With all that said though, get off the beaten path? And old Dallas and Ft. Worth -- even the original suburbs of Arlington, Grand Prarie, and Irving -- are nothing less than classically Southern.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:47 PM

423 posts, read 823,895 times
Wow! It actually took 27 pages to repeat the same postulates over and over that "Texas is Texas" and "it's a mix of South, Southwest, and Midwest". Amazing how people can create a discussion out of nothing.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Wow! It actually took 27 pages to repeat the same postulates over and over that "Texas is Texas" and "it's a mix of South, Southwest, and Midwest". Amazing how people can create a discussion out of nothing.
No Midwest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas