Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,158,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
You don't even have to travel to be exposed...as many mexican nationals as there are shopping in every mall across S Texas 7 days a week...you can be at your local Ross or HEB and have been exposed to something...remember, THEY travel on spring break as well, and LOVE to shop in S Texas! I swear, sometime shopping in the Alamo Ranch/Rim/La Cantera areas I think I am the ONLY native english speaker.
That was my point, indirectly. It is probably already here in many places, esp in Texas and other border areas. Alot of folks may have symptoms and just not have seen the doctor, so it is spreading under the radar so to speak. Persons could very well get it by going to a restaraunt or out shopping, or to school.

I wonder what the incubation time on this flu is. No one has mentioned that yet either. Should be able to have some idea based on the Kansas couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,387,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
That was my point, indirectly. It is probably already here in many places, esp in Texas and other border areas. Alot of folks may have symptoms and just not have seen the doctor, so it is spreading under the radar so to speak. Persons could very well get it by going to a restaraunt or out shopping, or to school.

I wonder what the incubation time on this flu is. No one has mentioned that yet either. Should be able to have some idea based on the Kansas couple.
They stated yesterday 1-3 days incubation, making it a quick spread-to symptom type of flu.

Here is an interesting read on past pandemics :

Newsmax.com - A Glance a Past Flu Pandemics (http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/eu_med_flu_past_pandemics_glance/2009/04/25/207363.html - broken link)

Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,162,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What I find particularly interesting is the composition of the flu virus:

"The new virus has genes from North American swine influenza, avian influenza, human influenza and a form of swine influenza normally found in Asia and Europe, said Nancy Cox, chief of the CDC's Influenza Division."

Just how does this happen?
THL..here's some interesting news. Seems this originated in Mexico in a town where there is factory farm pig breeding going on by Smithfield Farms.

On 4/6 60% of the town near these factory farms were infected.

Read logs for 4/2 and 4/6:
Biosurveillance: Swine Flu in Mexico- Timeline of Events (http://biosurveillance.typepad.com/biosurveillance/2009/04/swine-flu-in-mexico-timeline-of-events.html - broken link)

An article that traced the ownership of these pig breeding farms to Smithfield:
Swine-flu outbreak linked to Smithfield factory farms | Grist

Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 AM

313 posts, read 783,605 times
Quote:
Okay, swine flu from two different continents somehow merges with avian flu and human flu. Ain't nature wonderful?
makes sense. humans and birds are the 2 most mobile creatures on earth. we're the perfect virus spreaders. since pigs are kept penned in together and are carriers, they act as a placeholder to give the virus a stable breeding ground wherever a bird or human lands.

the virus has already hit New Zealand, halfway around the world from a flight of visiting students in Mexico.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,162,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
makes sense. humans and birds are the 2 most mobile creatures on earth. we're the perfect virus spreaders. since pigs are kept penned in together and are carriers, they act as a placeholder to give the virus a stable breeding ground wherever a bird or human lands.

the virus has already hit New Zealand, halfway around the world from a flight of visiting students in Mexico.
Typically swine flu is caught from the swine themselves. This one is different though as it's airborne. Could be the flies from the manure pits carried this to people ? (speculation)

Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,158,356 times
See the latest...countries all around the world are starting to issue quarantines and checking travelers. What is the US doing or for that matter Texas? It would seem that at least closing or limiting the border would be a good idea. Even if it is closing the barn doors after the horse has escaped, it would at least provide some containment.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:04 PM

545 posts, read 2,276,855 times
More info coming on this very soon...I just got called into work.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:27 PM

378 posts, read 1,437,807 times
Quote:
What I find particularly interesting is the composition of the flu virus:

"The new virus has genes from North American swine influenza, avian influenza, human influenza and a form of swine influenza normally found in Asia and Europe, said Nancy Cox, chief of the CDC's Influenza Division."

Just how does this happen?
I don't want to sound crazy or something, but I think it was planned. There were also some cases in New York and in Canada.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:33 PM

468 posts, read 1,216,588 times
Here is the word from some genetics researchers on the best source of info for the swine flu:

CDC, MMWR, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report:
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)

Their recent flu update is here;
Update: Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Infections --- California and Texas, April 2009

The World Health Organization Emerging and Pandemic Response network
is another good source.
WHO | Influenza

Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 PM

468 posts, read 1,216,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
I don't want to sound crazy or something, but I think it was planned. There were also some cases in New York and in Canada.
You are crazy. Those cases were people who had just come back from mexico or south america. Scientists have been warning about possible upcoming viral problems for years due to natural mutation. Here are some videos you should watch:

Larry Brilliant wants to stop pandemics | Video on TED.com

Nathan Wolfe's jungle search for viruses | Video on TED.com

YouTube - Larry Brilliant: TED Prize wish: Help stop the next pandemic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas