Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 PM

161 posts, read 562,418 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am 29 and single. I currently live in North Dakota and am considering transferring with my job to Texas. The city that appeals to me most is San Angelo. I just wanted to get some input from others who know the area to see if they think it might be a good fit for me.

I am not a big fan of the big, sprawling cities further east in Texas or across other parts of the Southwest. I don't want to live where it seems everyone else is also moving.

I am a VERY simple person. I want a city full of down-to-earth people with traditional values. I don't want to be around a lot of rich people who think that money somehow makes them better than me. I only need the basic stores like Target, Wal-Mart, Sears etc... to get by, and I am not big on fancy dining or ethnic food. Much of my free time revolves around my Christian faith, as I like to get involved in church and community activites. I also enjoy simple things like bicycling, going to the movies, and going to college sporting events.

That being said, I don't want to live in a town completely dominated by a college, like College Station or even Lubbock. Angelo State seems to be a nice, mid-size school just big enough to be a part of the city.

Winters in North Dakota are just too brutal for me. I can handle a hot summer better than a bitter winter. I do not like a lot of snow. When considering Texas, the threat of tornadoes always comes to mind. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like San Angelo is somewhat out of Tornado Alley. In some ways, it is similar to North Dakota. The threat is definitely there, but you are not going to hear sirens going off all the time.

I have an eye condition which prevents me from driving. San Angelo appears to have a decent bus system for a city its size. I have researched a lot of bus systems, and for a city of 100,000, the system is better than most. I wouldn't likely need the bus every day anyway. I have always been able to find an apartment close enough to walk to my job (within 2 miles), and it appears I would have no problem doing so. My max rent for a one bedroom apartment is $600. Is that realistic in San Angelo? A fairly safe city is a must, as I walk a lot and need to feel that I will be safe.

Please let me if you think San Angelo will work for me. Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,284 times
San Angelo sounds like a great fit for you. Everything you listed is almost exactly what San Angelo offers.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
You wouldn't happen to have had another username that began with cdc or something like that? San Angelo sounds like a perfect fit for you. Good luck with your move! I think you will love it.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
I think San Angelo would work well for you, too. It's a great little city.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
I visited San Angelo in December as I was considering it for relocation. I loved it. Honestly, if I could land a decent paying job there, I'd move in a heartbeat and I'm a single, simple, female.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:37 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota79 View Post
Hello,

I am 29 and single. I currently live in North Dakota and am considering transferring with my job to Texas. The city that appeals to me most is San Angelo. I just wanted to get some input from others who know the area to see if they think it might be a good fit for me.
I'm curious as to who you work for that gives you the options of different places in TX including SA?

Other than that,having lived in SA all my life until 2 years ago,I would say it should fit you nicely from what you have described.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
San Angelo was also on my short list, when I considered a place to relocate. My criteria, to avoid driving, was suitable low-cost apartments, supermarkets and library all within walking distance of each other. San Angelo met that requirement, but I never got that far west, and just accepted Victoria. I am looking forward to visiting San Angelo some day to see if I made a mistake by not going there. But I like Victoria just fine, so if SA doesn't meet your needs, we'd like to have you here as a neighbor.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 AM

25 posts, read 82,396 times
Good thread!

I've been considering San Angelo also. I'm interested in simple living too, but I'm from a different bent. I'm not religious. I'm more of a bohemian hippie. I used to be a cowboy, and I fell in love with the semi-arid and desert Southwest, so that's something about San Angelo that I like. I also like that San Angelo looks older. I don't like being around new fancy stuff, and constant growth.

I came to Austin in order to live near other hippies, but Austin is bigger and brighter than what I'm most comfortable with.

Like the original poster of this thread, I also want to live carfree, but I prefer to use a bicycle for most of my trips.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:00 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
I definitely concur that San Angelo would fit what you are looking for based on your stated interests above. I lived there once and it's a very charming city that I wouldn't mind living in again.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:06 PM

15 posts, read 84,053 times
i drive by texas tech all the time does not scare me one bit.... nice little campus... sanangelo and the bigspring area are a little more prone to baseball size hailstorms than lubbock is but i liked the town when i visited.. I think abilene might suit you also its closer to dallas and is a tad bigger than sanangelo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas