U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 PM

149 posts, read 182,699 times

Advertisements

I'm from the blue, high tax, big government state of Connecticut and I need to get out of here. I need a red, low tax, small government state like Texas. Nobody ever says they are from Connecticut with any pride but they do in Texas, I like that.

I'm looking to relocate to west Texas. I dont mind heat, cold and snow but I hate humidity so I'm looking at the surrounding areas of Amarillo, Lubbock and Abilene.

I've learned alot on this forum and would like to know about the hunting and fishing in those areas and other outdoor activities like camping, etc. Is one area better than another for hunting whitetail, turkey, hogs? Are there public hunting grounds in those areas or is it mostly private? Any info would be appreaciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:53 PM

2,416 posts, read 3,925,298 times
I don't hunt or fish, but my father is an avid outdoorsman, so I do know some about it. I would rank the cities in level of outdoor activity as Abilene, Amarillo, and then Lubbock. Abilene has the best scenery, being surrounded by rolling prairie and mesas. Abilene is close to several lakes, and there is good mountain biking and hunting in the "mesa range" (I don't know exactly what it is called) to the south. Amarillo and Lubbock are surrounded by farmland, but there are deer off of the Caprock Escarpment. Amarillo is close to Palo Duro Canyon, the second-largest canyon in the US. Lake Alan Henry is near Lubbock and supposedly has good bass fishing. I don't think there are any public hunting grounds, but all you have to do is befriend someone who has a hunting lease. It is also easy to make weekend trips to the Big Bend area and Sacramento Mountains in New Mexico (Lubbock is the closest to those destinations) or even Colorado (Amarillo obviously the closest).
http://www.palodurocanyon.com/
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/caprock_canyons/
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...parks/abilene/

Last edited by Westerner92; 05-02-2009 at 11:02 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,719,104 times
I would pick Abilene!
Listen to "West Texas Holiday" by Texas singer-songwriter guru Pat Green....all about hunting in Abilene!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 PM

6,744 posts, read 10,979,799 times
Almost all of the hunting in Texas is on private/lease land. TxPWD occasioanlly lets hunters on its land, but the opportunities are VERY few and far between. Leases vary in price depending on how good the hunting is, and how close they are to major metro areas.
Abilene will have MUCH better hunting than Amarillo. The BEST deer hunting in Texas is on the Edwards Plateau, which is centered at Rocksprings, TX. Between Rocksprings and Llano is HUGE deer hunting country!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 PM

149 posts, read 182,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Almost all of the hunting in Texas is on private/lease land. TxPWD occasioanlly lets hunters on its land, but the opportunities are VERY few and far between. Leases vary in price depending on how good the hunting is, and how close they are to major metro areas.
Abilene will have MUCH better hunting than Amarillo. The BEST deer hunting in Texas is on the Edwards Plateau, which is centered at Rocksprings, TX. Between Rocksprings and Llano is HUGE deer hunting country!

Thanks Christie. That is good information, I wasnt aware of that.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 AM

106 posts, read 127,957 times
South of Abilene is nice for hunting in West Texas (Bronte area).

Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 AM

3,494 posts, read 9,719,104 times
you can hunt on post (on the military posts/bases)...i hunted at Ft Stewart GA when i lived there, and here i have hunting on post at Ft Hood....they even have guided hunts! and yes it is for the public, not just active duty military and dependents.
Abilene has Dyess AFB (Air Force Base)..dont know if they have hunting, as it is not as big of a military installation. Ft Hood is the largest in the world!
central Texas is a great place for hunting.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 AM

5,231 posts, read 7,752,124 times
I would agree with Abeline being the best of the three you mentioned. My friends live on a country road outside of Plainview (between Amarillo and Lubbock) and they have hunters who come around their land during quail season, but much of the land is private or agricultural. Love West Texas though. Heck, love Texas!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM

714 posts, read 1,790,891 times
I agree with Abilene being the better of the three. Hunting is a big industry in the Abilene area.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM

443 posts, read 750,926 times
San Angelo is nice too for deer and turkey.

Really, depends. There's lots of good bird hunting like quail and dove in central-west-south Texas but the best duck hunting is east Texas and the Texas Coast.

Then, there's alot of free range exotics in the hill country and parts of west Texas like Blackbuck, Axis, Fallow, and Aoudad.

I've hunted along the Canadian River in the panhandle and that's real good whitetail country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas