Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times

Advertisements

I would think Lithuanian would be a difficult language to learn, as it is far removed from Western languages.

I wish I were fluent in Spanish. Even here in DFW, it would be a great help. The further south you go, the more helpful it is.

(Do you know what a person who speaks only one language is called?
An American.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 PM

12 posts, read 32,817 times
This is the general rule: The closer you are to the border, the more Spanish you will need, some places more than others. Call the Chamber of Commerce of all the cities you think you would be interested in, they can tell you the percentage of Whites (or others) and Mexicans. This is what I did when I wanted to relocate. Why don't you be more specific, for example you are asking about Western Texas and Southern Texas. Do you realize how many miles you are talking about? Do you want it hot or cold? State what type of job you will be looking for. It depends on what profession you have. Brownsville, Texas has 91% Mexicans and is a VERY Mexican city. If you would work there as a nurse's aid, how are you going to ask the patients to brush their teeth? Comb their hair? "It's time to go to bed and let's take your dentures out." You will NOT be able to work in a field like this without knowing Spanish. I lived in Brownsville for 2 years and 4 months as a registered nurse, and believe me, I know! All grocery stores, insurance companies, taco stands, and bars, everyone spoke Spanish. I am a White girl from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and lived in Southern, New Mexico (Las Cruces)for 30 years. Since then I have learned Spanish, I'm bilingual and can read and write it. You will NEVER learn Spanish if you only associate with English-speaking people. I learned only because almost the only people I hang around with are Mexicans, and I was going to learn Spanish if it killed me, because I said so. Also all I listen to is Mexican music. These are all things to take in consideration. I live close to El Paso and I think they have about 80% Mexicans. You might get by with only English there, but Spanish is highly recommended and preferred. There is more English-speaking in Harlingen and McCallen, Texas. You would be totally lost in Brownsville.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:06 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManzaMex View Post
This is the general rule: The closer you are to the border, the more Spanish you will need, some places more than others. Call the Chamber of Commerce of all the cities you think you would be interested in, they can tell you the percentage of Whites (or others) and Mexicans. This is what I did when I wanted to relocate. Why don't you be more specific, for example you are asking about Western Texas and Southern Texas. Do you realize how many miles you are talking about? Do you want it hot or cold? State what type of job you will be looking for. It depends on what profession you have. Brownsville, Texas has 91% Mexicans and is a VERY Mexican city. If you would work there as a nurse's aid, how are you going to ask the patients to brush their teeth? Comb their hair? "It's time to go to bed and let's take your dentures out." You will NOT be able to work in a field like this without knowing Spanish. I lived in Brownsville for 2 years and 4 months as a registered nurse, and believe me, I know! All grocery stores, insurance companies, taco stands, and bars, everyone spoke Spanish. I am a White girl from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and lived in Southern, New Mexico (Las Cruces)for 30 years. Since then I have learned Spanish, I'm bilingual and can read and write it. You will NEVER learn Spanish if you only associate with English-speaking people. I learned only because almost the only people I hang around with are Mexicans, and I was going to learn Spanish if it killed me, because I said so. Also all I listen to is Mexican music. These are all things to take in consideration. I live close to El Paso and I think they have about 80% Mexicans. You might get by with only English there, but Spanish is highly recommended and preferred. There is more English-speaking in Harlingen and Mcallen, Texas. You would be totally lost in Brownsville.

So true. Good post, and welcome to the forum.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:19 PM

12 posts, read 32,817 times
Thanks. I plan to relocate back to Brownsville, because I really loved it there, and I'm fluent in Spanish. I am so sick of living in Southern, New Mexico. I can't use my bilingul abilities here too much. I prefer it tropical, hot, and humid. El Paso is so dry. One must consider if they want humidity or not when making a choice of where to move.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 AM

11 posts, read 31,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManzaMex View Post
This is the general rule: The closer you are to the border, the more Spanish you will need, some places more than others. Call the Chamber of Commerce of all the cities you think you would be interested in, they can tell you the percentage of Whites (or others) and Mexicans. This is what I did when I wanted to relocate. Why don't you be more specific, for example you are asking about Western Texas and Southern Texas. Do you realize how many miles you are talking about? Do you want it hot or cold? State what type of job you will be looking for. It depends on what profession you have. Brownsville, Texas has 91% Mexicans and is a VERY Mexican city. If you would work there as a nurse's aid, how are you going to ask the patients to brush their teeth? Comb their hair? "It's time to go to bed and let's take your dentures out." You will NOT be able to work in a field like this without knowing Spanish. I lived in Brownsville for 2 years and 4 months as a registered nurse, and believe me, I know! All grocery stores, insurance companies, taco stands, and bars, everyone spoke Spanish. I am a White girl from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and lived in Southern, New Mexico (Las Cruces)for 30 years. Since then I have learned Spanish, I'm bilingual and can read and write it. You will NEVER learn Spanish if you only associate with English-speaking people. I learned only because almost the only people I hang around with are Mexicans, and I was going to learn Spanish if it killed me, because I said so. Also all I listen to is Mexican music. These are all things to take in consideration. I live close to El Paso and I think they have about 80% Mexicans. You might get by with only English there, but Spanish is highly recommended and preferred. There is more English-speaking in Harlingen and McCallen, Texas. You would be totally lost in Brownsville.

^^

Thanks for the helpful post. I'll be relocating to the McAllen area but I can definitely see how Spanish would be helpful to learn.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
My family ( through marriage) is from El Paso and Cuba ( it's a HUGE family). Only one uses spanish for her job, she is a translator. My mother in law was Miss Jaurez a long time ago and I am not even sure if she even speaks a lot of spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas