U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:00 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,510,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Dare people to drive 228, east of Precilla, and tell you East Texas is flat. It's a ROLLER COASTER on that road. It's really fun.
But wait. Where is that at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM

8,969 posts, read 15,504,449 times
PERCILLA. sorry for the typo. NorthEast of Grapeland.

maplink.

Map of Percilla, TX by MapQuest

I think it's 228. I've been the back way a few times. They have tons of erosion control on the sides of the road. The grade is crazy!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:19 PM

3,700 posts, read 11,314,084 times
Thought of this thread when I saw a movie the other day. It was supposedly showing an area 25 miles north of Houston. What they showed was flat, treeless, and arid. I just had to laugh at it being so far from the truth. One would hardly call the piney woods arid or treeless and while it is not as hilly as N or Central Texas, it is not flat either.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Thought of this thread when I saw a movie the other day. It was supposedly showing an area 25 miles north of Houston. What they showed was flat, treeless, and arid. I just had to laugh at it being so far from the truth. One would hardly call the piney woods arid or treeless and
That just irritates me so much. It's almost as if they're saying that it's not worth coming to Texas so that they can film the actual area that's 25 miles north of Houston. Just wrong.

Quote:
while it is not as hilly as N or Central Texas, it is not flat either.
Both Central and East Texas are hilly in their own right. Centex has higher elevation and the hills are a bit taller and more defined, but on the other hand, some areas of East Texas are hillier than some areas of Centex.

The difference between the two is that you don't see any development on the big hills in East Texas while many towns in the Hill Countries took advantage of that.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM

557 posts, read 926,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Thought of this thread when I saw a movie the other day. It was supposedly showing an area 25 miles north of Houston. What they showed was flat, treeless, and arid. I just had to laugh at it being so far from the truth. One would hardly call the piney woods arid or treeless and while it is not as hilly as N or Central Texas, it is not flat either.
I once had to argue with a TV weather man (when I was on hiatus out of Texas). He was reporting about a possible hurricane to strike Corpus Christi, which he said was in East Texas.

He conceded to my geography lesson. Har har har!!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
I once had to argue with a TV weather man (when I was on hiatus out of Texas). He was reporting about a possible hurricane to strike Corpus Christi, which he said was in East Texas.

He conceded to my geography lesson. Har har har!!
Well in the weatherman's defense, Corpus is in the eastern half of the state.

Kind of the same way the Panhandle is in the northern half, but no one calls it "North Texas"

Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
Am considering a move to Longview/Kilgore area. Lived there in the early 1980's. Sem to remeber lots of churches.. but few opportunities for female ministers. Any changes?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 AM

3,805 posts, read 1,964,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessibobessy View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about moving to Texas for some work opportunities, and would be able to basically move anywhere I want (the work will often be on the road in East Texas). I will be moving from Alberta, Canada and have never been to Texas so I really have no idea what the place is like. I'd like to move somewhere in East Texas, and not in a city. I would like to be within an hour's drive of a city (in my opinion, that's a place with over 50,000 people). I really enjoy the outdoors and would like a rural or agricultural town. I won't know anybody though, so I'll need a town where it's easy enough to meet people and that there are people in their 20s. Any suggestions?

Also, if you have any other tips for me regarding the extreme move, that would be great! I'm really worried about adjusting to the heat and snakes and poisonous bugs. Thanks!
I moved here from Great Falls, Montana back in February (per my Texan wife's wishes). So far, heat for me hasn't been much of a problem.

Our move from Montana put us close to Beaumont (Jefferson County). It's smaller than Billings, lots of trees ... humidity, of course, and again, some of the biggest ugliest bugs I've ever seen. I either knock them out of the air with my hat, or I simply squash them and be on my way.

East Texas would be a good pick really. Getting off of the windswept plains of Alberta, and moving to an area with green grass, lakes, and piney woods would do anyone good.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 21,722 times
I have actually ended up choosing Mansfield, TX... I'm not sure if I'll like it but I found a great roommate there and it's a doable commute. Going to live there for a while and explore a bit before deciding where I'll ultimately land... Thanks for all the info though guys!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
Default Any idea why Rusk has a poor self-image?

Hi there!

I plan to visit the Rusk area this weekend and check out a possible move to the area.

Is there something I should know about the area? Why would they have a poor self image?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas