Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubya View Post
Thanks for the tip. I think I like the idea of having it there, only significantly smaller. Prickly Pear will remind my out-of-state visitors that they're in the southwest. (Don't worry. I'll give them smoked brisket and Shiner Bock to remind them they're in Texas.)
Good plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,394 times
hello
would you be willing to send me a piece of this gorgeous cactus? I will send you postage if you would like.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mare0987 View Post
hello
would you be willing to send me a piece of this gorgeous cactus? I will send you postage if you would like.
LOL You can come to my place and haul off all the cacti and mesquite you care to load up. Crap plants and crap trees that suck precious water and nutrients from the ground. Mesquites are good to cook with or make a hot fire, but I sure as heck don't want them on my place. As to the prickly pear, IMO, it's good for nothing. I guess it serves a purpose in the arid, poor land areas to help hold down blowing sand.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL You can come to my place and haul off all the cacti and mesquite you care to load up. Crap plants and crap trees that suck precious water and nutrients from the ground. Mesquites are good to cook with or make a hot fire, but I sure as heck don't want them on my place. As to the prickly pear, IMO, it's good for nothing. I guess it serves a purpose in the arid, poor land areas to help hold down blowing sand.

You're completely wrong about both these plants. This is just what you've been told, so you believe it--- part of the Texas anti-tree cultural phenomenon. Mesquite and cactuses are very water efficient plants. I mean, a cactus is specifically "designed" to use as little water as possible.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Oooh....certain types of prickly pear are eaten as nopalitos--just yummmy! Really. I love them with scrambled eggs, in salads and soups!

Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You're completely wrong about both these plants. This is just what you've been told, so you believe it--- part of the Texas anti-tree cultural phenomenon. Mesquite and cactuses are very water efficient plants. I mean, a cactus is specifically "designed" to use as little water as possible.
LOL How funny! Any idiot can tell that by just looking at where they thrive.

I swear, mesquite roots reach to China. I realize I am speaking to an expert here, so I'm sure to be corrected, but when you're running cows on pastureland with no irrigation and depending on rainfall for any grass growth, any amount of water used for these two species is frowned upon, no matter how small the amount. To make it more simple for you, a drop of water is not to be wasted.

Some people mow mesquites in order to control them (or so they think). All that does is create an underground root system that is totally unbelievable. So it is a constant fight with them and a constant effort keeping your tires up on your tractor. People have to keep them filled with slime and that rots the interior of the tire and the rims and you still have to contend with flats.

People say they 'look like Texas'. Whatever. I say they look like poor soil to me and a battle waiting to be waged.

With the continued drought, a lot of the land further north that has never had any cactus on it, is now seeing it sprouting.

BTW Bud, I'm not some part "of the Texas anti-tree cultural phenomenon" or whatever other silly thing you might come up with and I also don't believe everything I get told. So, for you to even say something like that to a person you know absolutely squat about, is just ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Oooh....certain types of prickly pear are eaten as nopalitos--just yummmy! Really. I love them with scrambled eggs, in salads and soups!
I have heard that, although I have never eaten any.

I wouldn't want to deal with cleaning the things no matter how good they tasted. Old timers used to burn the stickers off of them and feed them to their cows back in harder times.

Continued lack of rain, price of hay and feed, who knows, maybe I'll be doing the same thing before long!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:03 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I don't think the U.S. exports prickly pear fruit but when I was in Chile many years ago they were exporting them but not to the U.S. The fruit is delicious.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I doubt there is a county in Texas that doesn't have prickly pear (Opuntia). We had them at Lufkin when I was growing up there in the 1960s and I've got two or three of them out here in my pastures. I mow them down when I see them.

Luckily I do not have mesquite and only a few yuccas.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
I have heard that, although I have never eaten any.

I wouldn't want to deal with cleaning the things no matter how good they tasted. Old timers used to burn the stickers off of them and feed them to their cows back in harder times.

Continued lack of rain, price of hay and feed, who knows, maybe I'll be doing the same thing before long!
Yep, cleaning isn't fun, which is why it's nice to find them already processed--chopped/sliced fresh in plastic bags in the produce section. Jelly is also made from the red pears, too, but I've never had that.

I have a favorite soup (origin, Mexico, where it's common) I make with nopalitos.

Hasn't been that long ago since ranchers burned them for cattle. Why not? With a little labor, free food and water for your stock!

Cacti is very water-efficient, but the same cannot be said for mesquite or juniper (commonly called cedar)--both really water suckers.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
Grew up around mesquites and prickly pear cactus. Mom made jelly out of the mesquite beans and out of the prickly pears. Liked both jellies, but was really fond of the prickly pear. Just held that little fruit over the gas stove burner for a second and burned the tiny spines off it then boiled 'em. Less work on the mesquite beans, and still quite the yummy!

In United stores you can buy pickled cactus leaves, which come off small prickly pear cactus. I have eaten them on salads, but don't really care for it much. There are folks who actually cultivate it for eating.

Had a rancher buddy that chained onto those mesquites with a bulldozer and pulled them up. The roots were LONG, but invariably broken at the end. No way to get the whole thing.

Even though I live in the Panhandle, I can still walk from my home to places with prickly pears and mesquites. They are quite the hardy plants that live everywhere.

I think the city dwelling respondent above is confusing how efficient those plants are at living in low water conditions, with how much water those plants are capable of using.

They can survive on very little water, but they will TAKE all the water they can get.

And HighPlains?? I have plenty of yucca in all over my yard. You are welcome to drive up and get some if you want.

I dig a few up every now and then, but will be allergically puffed up for a few days afterward. Secret is the root is not below the plant. It crawls a little bit over and you gotta yank around some to find it. Then short work with a shovel. Eventually I will get them all taken out, but until then.... yech..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas