Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM

325 posts, read 1,020,316 times

Advertisements

I have been reading these forums for years and narrowed our search down to Sarasota or Austin, San Antonio or Dallas.

The beauty and beaches and lush green of Sarasota are amazing. I am concerned if the humidity will be tough since we can't afford to live too close to the gulf. People on the Florida forums do not seem too happy with living in Florida, but people in Sarasota seems happier.

I spent more time in Austin area and got to talk to more people while there. A big draw in Texas are the friendly people, larger lots and affordable homes. Hill Country is also beautiful. I am concerned about the allergies in Texas.

We are in our mid 50's and my husband will be working at an airport. I need to move south for sunshine.

We are so torn and just want to make the right decision. They all have pros and cons.

I would really appreciate your input. Tried Phoenix area and I missed green.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
my daughter lives south of Sarasota--married guy who lives on Venice Island--they really like it there but lots of that area is not what I would call green--they are usually in dought conditions and many people if they do not have a well just don't water that much...
we live in DFW area--Tarrant side--
frankly I would not consider living in Tampa from what I have seen spending some time in the area--if your husband can work the Sarasota Bradenton airport would be better choice to me--Sarasota is ok--but lots of traffic for what is really a small town
weather is humid most months of the year--and it is HOT during the summer--
I know they love living there during the pleasant months and have adjusted to the summer ones but I don't know that I really could...the humidity kind of warps your brain IMO
of course San Antonio has terrible traffic but it is lovely town in parts--have sister who lives/works there and grew up just east of it...

Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 AM

Default Do you love DFW

How do you like living in Dallas area? There is an opening there too. I am so drawn to the really nice people in Texas. The Hill Country is beautiful too. Is Dallas area pretty? What do you like or dislike about it.

My husband is very open to Florida or Texas, with a bit of a lean toward Sarasota. I have a big lean toward Texas because of the conservative and friendly people and the nice homes for reasonable price.

Thank you for your reply. This is such a huge decision. We will be leaving all of our family and we never lived outside of Wisconsin before.

Did anyone else ever live in Sarasota before?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM

170 posts, read 598,570 times
DFW is a huge airport. Would that be considered a good or bad thing for your husband's job?

We lived in Fort Worth for several years and really liked it. More livable than Dallas, IMO. Smaller, but much better, downtown, a little more laid back, and generally a little less expensive. You might consider the mid-cities, though, if your husband is at DFW. If you go that route, you can find lots of great information on CD about the various towns.

You're right that the hill country is nice. That's my pick if you hubbie can get a job with a reasonable commute, but I wonder if that would be an issue?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 AM

Default Regarding Airport

The size of the airport could be good and bad. More promotion possibilities I would think, but tougher to get in and out of.

We would live mid cities most likely if we moved there. In Austin, the airport is very nice, easily assesible and the commute would be extremely easy by living in Bastrop county or SW Austin area. We are not big city people.

I am a little concerned about commute to SA airport.

There isn't an opening in Austin at this time, but I am sure with time there will be. He is probably going try for Dallas, but he is tugged by Sarasota too. The homes are so close together there. Texas you have more opportunity for larger lots and more home for the money.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
If you are considering Dallas you really should consider Fort Worth. Same friendly people but less haughty. You said you weren't big city people but Dallas is BIG. Just look on the other side of DFW!

I love Austin but I think Fort Worth is a great alternative.

The allergies people talk about are both real and exaggerated. If you have or develop and allergy to mountain cedar, December to January can be uncomfortable for some. We have oak pollen in late March or early April for a week or two. But many people I know do just fine with Claritin or similar.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:40 PM

If you're not big city people, you'll definitely not want to go to Dallas. I hope he's not looking at Love Field! If he gets in at DFW airport, which areas are you considering?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 PM

Default Actually it is Love Field Airport

With the help of someone else who PM'd me, I just realized it is Love Field. Is that bad? It looks like it would be more difficult to get to than the big airport, but my husband may enjoy a smaller atmosphere.

We would like to live in a quiet, pretty area with maybe 1 acre lots, if possible, within 30 minutes or so drive to the airport. I just did not realize Dallas area had 2 airport. Boy, I guess I am small town. Our town is 70,000 people, so it is a great size with everything we need. I no longer need to go 2 hours to Milwaukee area for anything.

Thank you for pointing this out. Let me know what you think.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:41 PM

I've only flown out of Love Field once, and I don't remember much about it. I remember it didn't seem like the nicest area, but then again, I'd hate to misrepresent things if my memory is failing me. Perhaps someone who lives near there could chime in.

As for the kind of area you'd like, the only ones I know of within 30 minutes (maybe more like 40-45 realistically in traffic) are the communities northwest of DFW airport on Hwy 114: Southlake, Westlake, Trophy Club. But those tend to be on the expensive side, depending on your budget. You can find a few homes on large lots in the 300s in Southlake but probably not much below that. Perhaps there would be something similar up past Lewisville (?), but again, you're stretching the commute time quite a bit. Mansfield, south of Arlington, is still sort of quiet (though growing). I don't really think of the closer burbs as being quiet.

If you can wait for the right job to open, I would think you'd have much better options at pseudo-country living if your husband could get on at AUS. You could go live in a place like Dripping Springs.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 PM

We would be in the 300,000 give or take price range for a home.

When I looked on a map at Love Field, I did notice it was closer into the city than what I think he would prefer to drive. I am so glad this was pointed out to me.

We can wait for an opening in Austin. That is where I am the most familiar with because I love that area so much. I spent a good amount of time there on 3 visits. I just really need to be out of Wisconsin by Fall when we loose a lot of sunshine.

I am praying this is the year we will finally move, I just don't want to make a mistake. I will put a post out there asking for opinions on Love Field.

What do you think of the Big airport, DFW? I suppose an opening would come up soon for that too.

After reading the Dallas, Fort Worth threads, this area sounded like really nice people to live around and some very pretty parks and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas