Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 AM

10 posts, read 54,466 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've decided to move to Texas after doing some research. It seems AMAZING!! Warm, affordable housing, and jobs! I tried Orlando and was disappointed at the $13/hour job I was able to get after much leg work. The schools weren't really up to par (I live in New Jersey - Morris County - great schools), and the petty crime was, er, disconcerting to say the least.

I am looking at The Woodlands but do not want to commute to Houston for a job. I'm afraid it might be too taxiing/draining. I understand The Woodlands has a few major employers - does anyone know who is hiring?

I have plenty of experience in the following jobs: Administrative and Executive Assistant, Human Resources Assistant, Sales Assistant, HR Staffing Coordinator, and Disability (Insurance) claim management.

How hard would it be to gain employment in the Woodlands and avoid a commute to Houston???????

Oh - I'm making 55k here in Jersey and would like to keep the same salary in Texas - wishful thinking?
Anyone know the pay ranges for the following:
Senior Administrative Assistant?
Executive Assistant?
Human Resources Assistant/Coordinator?

Thank you much,
Singe mom of two older boys

Last edited by WanderLust3; 03-29-2012 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Add information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,973,551 times
NJ, for all its bad rep, has some of the best schools in the US (impovershed areas like Camden perhaps being an exception). You will be hard pressed to find schools as good in Texas, although it depends on the school district to some extent and suburban districts will generally tend to be better. Commuting into Houston from the burbs would be horrendous IMO, although I personally hate commuting and am very biased about it (living in Austin, TX with a much less aversive commuting situation than Houston, considerations of driving distance and ease still very much influenced my house buying and office renting decisions).

I think your salary is a little on the high side for Texas norms for admin asst type positions, though it will depend on the level of responsibility, size and wealth of firm, private vs public sector, and similar factors. I would guess that 35-40K might be more typical for an admin asst with a good CV, working in a good private or large public sector operation; I would guess the salaries could go higher. Cost of living should be cheaper than in NJ, except for gasoline, since NJ has very low state gasoline tax. Other taxes and fees will be a good deal worse than here in Delaware, just to your south, especially in terms of property taxes if you buy a house in Texas (although not nearly as bad as in NJ).

Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,506 times
Some areas are better than other areas in Texas. West Texas for example is experiencing an oil boom which is creating a nice job market for people. We probably got all 50 states reprsented in my town right now including NJ, NY, AK and all due to the available jobs.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Your salary expectation is definitely too high for those positions in Texas. Expect to make $40k for those jobs. Remember: unemployment here is still high, and there are a lot of people looking for those types of work. Don't think you can move here and have a job the next week!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Wow- 40k is it? I thought Houston was booming, the economy STRONG. It will be difficult to live on 40k with two kids. Doesn't experience help?

Thanks!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Well, in the first place, I wouldn't move anywhere without having first secured a job or at least have a nest egg as well as several good job leads. Your cost of living in TX will be cheaper than in NJ almost certainly. But I agree, a single income of 40K for a family of three is pretty limiting -- even more so if you live at a distance from work and spend a good deal of money on fuel for your car.

Don't know if you are in North or South Jersey, but hope you do appreciate that Houston is ENORMOUS. If you live in South Jersey, you will be trading in a fairly small town and rural environment for a huge megalopolis. If you live in North Jersey, it will be just like living in the NYC Metro area minus the excellent public transport (of course there are other differences, but the point is that Houston is huge).

Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderLust3 View Post
Wow- 40k is it? I thought Houston was booming, the economy STRONG. It will be difficult to live on 40k with two kids. Doesn't experience help?
Yes the economy is booming, but companies don't pay that kind of wage for a clerical employee here. That's one of the biggest reasons our economy is so strong! Yes, it will be really tough to live on $40k with 2 kids here.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM

I'm not sure the OP would describe her job and skill-set as clerical. Admin asst can denote what really amounts to a lower management position with a lot of responsibilities. It would be easier to know what her prospects might be if we knew more about her specific experience and skill set.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 AM

I have more than 10 years experience working in the various positions I mentioned, so I consider myself a pretty seasoned administrative professional. Proficient in Microsoft Suite, Oracle, Virtual Edge (HR), Kronos (Time Management System), Concur (expenses), Ariba (supplies/invoices).

Can do the following with my eyes closed as I’m sure many can
Manage a busy executive calendar
Schedule travel arrangements
Book meetings and manage respective logistics
Build interviewing schedules for high-level executive staffing candidates (who interview with high-level executives) and manage the logistics (video conferences, phone screenings, on-site conference rooms, travel arrangements)
Process Expense Reports
Process invoices
Order supplies
Manage disability claims (from start to end: determine eligibility based on contractual provisions, pay benefits, manage recovery, collaborate w/internal medical, close claim)
Set up new hires (schedule set ups – phone, workstation, badge, enter associate into system)
Help troubleshoot pay issues (vacation pay and sick pay discrepancies, etc
Coordinate small events (Adopt a Child, holiday party)
I’m fully bilingual – fluent in English and Spanish
And other office work and projects – I’m pretty sure I can run a small office without a problem

Is part time work an option? Is there a lot of part-time work available?
I also hear Houston and Texas in general is a good place to start a business, reinvent yourself. Is that accurate?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 AM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderLust3 View Post
I have more than 10 years experience working in the various positions I mentioned, so I consider myself a pretty seasoned administrative professional. Proficient in Microsoft Suite, Oracle, Virtual Edge (HR), Kronos (Time Management System), Concur (expenses), Ariba (supplies/invoices).

Can do the following with my eyes closed as I’m sure many can
Manage a busy executive calendar
Schedule travel arrangements
Book meetings and manage respective logistics
Build interviewing schedules for high-level executive staffing candidates (who interview with high-level executives) and manage the logistics (video conferences, phone screenings, on-site conference rooms, travel arrangements)
Process Expense Reports
Process invoices
Order supplies
Manage disability claims (from start to end: determine eligibility based on contractual provisions, pay benefits, manage recovery, collaborate w/internal medical, close claim)
Set up new hires (schedule set ups – phone, workstation, badge, enter associate into system)
Help troubleshoot pay issues (vacation pay and sick pay discrepancies, etc
Coordinate small events (Adopt a Child, holiday party)
I’m fully bilingual – fluent in English and Spanish
And other office work and projects – I’m pretty sure I can run a small office without a problem

Is part time work an option? Is there a lot of part-time work available?
I also hear Houston and Texas in general is a good place to start a business, reinvent yourself. Is that accurate?
Pay ranges in oil and gas are higher than most industries due to the high value add to the company from manufacturing/"exporting" products (by export I mean out of the local area where the job is not overseas necessarily). So you might try them although most of them want oil and gas experience but with their growth they dont always get it. There are large oil and gas firms based in the Woodlands.

Tx is a good place to start a business relative to most other places but its still a tough economy in my view. Lots of competitiion in most businesses which keep profit margins or prices lower than they use to be. Texas is a much more business friendly state than most and certain than NJ.

We are adding jobs at a fast pace in Tx but many are moving here so the supply of experienced staff is pretty good which is another reason its a good place to start a business.

I lived in Somerset County for 6 years before moving to Houston then recently retired from oil and gas and moved to Plano a Dallas surburb. Its a big change from NJ but overall was a very positive one for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas