Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,273,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I'm inside but wishing the darn cicadas would SHUT UP out there! They are too LOUD today & the louder they are the hotter & dryer it seems out there. :-)
Yeah, they definitely CAN get loud but I love their sounds! The stifling heat and the cicadas - Texas summers!

Nice pics of the park, case! Have a good and safe vacation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,334,005 times
Beautiful pics of Caprock Canyon!! It reminds me of Sedona.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,863,410 times
Anyone who goes to West Texas for a Summer vacation has to be nuts. The only tolerable places for summer vacations in Texas are at the beach or swimming holes where you can take a dip to cool off.

Like Hamilton's Pool near Austin as just one example.

If you want to camp out there are tolerable places on Lake Travis with groves of live oak trees near the water.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM

This is my favorite place to camp on Lake Travis.

But I anchor out away from the docks, typically a deserted cove with a nice breeze.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,334,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
This is my favorite place to camp on Lake Travis.

But I anchor out away from the docks, typically a deserted cove with a nice breeze.
SWEET!!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:41 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,395,509 times
I was just at Lake LBJ last Sunday on the boat. Sorry it was Africa Hot there too.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:05 PM

469 posts, read 1,447,385 times
I'm still in North Texas visiting family, but we just got back from the Great Wolfe Lodge in Grapevine. That place is incredible! It has a huge indoor water park, with a pool and slides outside as well. Places to eat, shop, an arcade, everything you need. It was wonderful to not worry about my two little ones getting sunburned, the play area for them was very big.
Two thumbs up!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:29 PM

Default Texan's Vacation in the Virgin Islands

Old 06-20-2009, 05:54 PM

958 posts, read 2,126,624 times
So far my only pics would be of me mowing the grass.
It won't be too much longer til vacation gets here!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 PM

20 posts, read 77,350 times
Glad you enjoyed your stay at the Frio.. We are hoping for the Frio to get back to being the Frio we all know but we need a little help from the Rain Gods.. However, the crossings are still very popular and one close to Garner where you can see Old Baldy is Magers' Crossing..

I actually just did i piece on Magers here: 6/25 Drive By @ Magers’ Crossing (CR 350) | funrivers.com blog (http://www.funrivers.com/bindex.php/2009/06/26/625-drive-by-magers-crossing-cr-350/ - broken link)

Really interesting about the caves and would love to check those out.. Never knew about them to be honest and good to know.. Thanks for Sharing..

Well for anybody that comes up.. I hope you enjoy and if you ever have any questions about the area.. Feel Free to contact me anytime.

Take Care,

funrivers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Solis View Post
We just got back from Garner State Park. This was our 3rd camping trip up there. We climbed Old Baldy again, put some more little rocks on the pile, on the summit. We took our dog with us up the Hill, and she led us all the way up, I think she is half mountain goat, very surprising to me. My kids ages 6 & 7 climbed like champions.

We met a couple from Orange Texas on the way up, the guy said he had been going to Garner SP since 1971, and he showed us a cave we didnt know was there, we all went in with flashlights, then on the way out we tried it without the flashlights, very cool in every sense of the word.

The Frio river was not as frio as it was last time, and not as deep. We had a great time camping though, got pretty cold at nights. It was nice to get up before the sun and make a fire just to drink hot coffee and heat up some beans.

My wife is attending the first summer session at UTPA, and I will attend the 2nd summer session. Maybe before the fall semester begins we will go on a 2nd trip up north.

We have South Padre Island 75 miles to our east, so we can take mini vacations on the weekends, and fortunately, we know of a few hotels that are very affordable, and have great views, well one of them anyways.

Have any of you been to Garner State Park? And/or do you know of any comparable state parks for camping river playing, hiking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas