U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:59 AM

4,608 posts, read 4,880,387 times
You've scored zero on your own 'Is Texas for me' quiz. Try Paris or London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:00 AM

26 posts, read 53,085 times
If you think property taxes are high, come to Chicagoland! $10,000 on a $200,000 houses is typical. Then we have income taxes...
I lived in Florida for several years. I'm willing to take my chances with tornados. As I said, very low probability. Hurricanes are nothing once they hit land, just a little rain.

Although, you have convinced me of one thing. I definitely arrived at the wrong forum. Too much negativity. I'll probably visit San Antonio later this year and get my own feel for the place.

Mods, please close this thread.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:03 AM

4,608 posts, read 4,880,387 times
You haven't arrived at the wrong forum. You just don't have a workable set of criteria for living in Texas.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:07 AM

8,855 posts, read 14,813,661 times
It's not negative, we are just pointing out the distinct differences so you come down fully informed. I'm sorry you don't like what you hear, but it's the facts Jack. We aren't "URBAN" anywhere in Texas. Outside of a few congested blocks here and there, the major cities are suburban in nature. Nor do most find charm in places like Chicago or NYC, except to visit. So, it's unlikely we will become more like them anytime in the near future. Those that like a lifestyle like that, go there. Those that want less congestion and don't want to be packed in like sardines come to Texas and drive a car.

PS-Hurricanes do a lot of damage inland. Just ask Houstonians.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 AM

384 posts, read 1,026,792 times
Quote:
I thought walking was implied. There is no need to take transit if everything you need is within walking distance...

The Riverwalk was great! That's what I'm looking for. Is Austin the only other city with something similar?
In my opinion, yes. I know that some people live happily in central Austin without a car - good cluster of jobs, nightlife, housing, nice parks, etc.

The park system along Town Lake in Austin and the Riverwalk system in San Antonio (which will be expanded even more over the next 5 years or so) are high-quality urban amenities unmatched elsewhere in the state.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 PM

3,700 posts, read 10,906,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoExpat View Post
If you think property taxes are high, come to Chicagoland! $10,000 on a $200,000 houses is typical. Then we have income taxes...
I lived in Florida for several years. I'm willing to take my chances with tornados. As I said, very low probability. Hurricanes are nothing once they hit land, just a little rain.

Mods, please close this thread.

Property taxes are about the same or worse in Texas.

Who ever told you that about Hurricanes? After Ike, Houston was w/o power for weeks and people were killed in flooding, power outages, and tornadoes spawned as it moved north almost all the way to Canada.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:22 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,840,559 times
I doubt you will find much of what you are looking for in Texas but there are some neighborhoods in Dallas and Austin that may suit your needs. Ask for specifics in those forums. Be aware that some of those neighborhoods in Dallas are pretty expensive and I have never seen a condo or new townhome development that did not have hefty monthly HOA fees.

A condo is only yours from the walls in, from the walls out it is the responsibility of the HOA and those fees can be very high, plus you have to chip in for landscaping, maintenance, the pool if your complex has one, etc. Some townhouses have yards, some do not, some of the ones with yards have a company do the maintenance, some do not. It varies. I know someone who lives in a townhome in Plano and he has a backyard but the HOA maintains it for him. I know someone else who lives in a townhome in Dallas who has a yard but he has to cut the grass himself.

Best of luck.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,840,559 times
Quote:
A lot of people are probably scratching their heads given what I described is not found in Texas. So let me describe what I like about this state verses other states.

Low taxes
Excellent weather
Very low probability of natural disasters
Booming economy (in a previous career I worked with pipe lines)
I enjoying the night life, but there is something to be said about the ability to retire in your own home and be able to flip to more laid-back at your leisure. Chicago & New York always seemed busy no matter what.
There are incredible deals on Real Estate, in general everything is more affordable which means my hard earned dollars last longer.
I found people to be genuine and friendlier than other parts of the country
Great food! I've had some excellent meals when visiting.
Maybe the above means nothing, but I just feel as if I belong here. I personally not a fan of pick up trucks or dirt roads which will always make me an outsider, but Texas is a huge state for anyone that wants to make an honest living. I'm just trying to find that one neighborhood which suits my love for walking while leaving the car at home.
Very low probability of natural disasters? I guess, sort of. We get hurricanes on the coast which can be devastating, whoever told you hurricanes are not dangerous once they hit land is WRONG. We also get tornadoes but I have never worried about them. There is nothing you can do about those anyway, no point in worrying about it. Texas can also experience major flooding and we even have earthquakes here but you are not likely to see a blizzard here so that is good.

Excellent weather? If you like summers as hot as a furnace, yes. I love Texas but I hate the summers here. But I suffer through them because on balance Texas is a fantastic place and I am used to them anyway.

Low taxes? Compared to who? We have no state income tax but property taxes here are higher than a lot of places that have a state income tax so you do not save as much as you think you might. Our sales taxes are also high.

Booming economy? Maybe 2-3 years ago but not now. Texas's unemployment rate is 6.7%.

Texas's major cities are not sleepy and they have a lot of hustle and bustle. That hustle and bustle is just more spread out than it would be in New York or Chicago. Plus if you live in a "walkable" neighborhood you will probably be nearer to entertainment venues than you might like. It can get pretty wild and noisy down on Greenville or in downtown Austin even on a weeknight.

I will not argue with you on real estate. Home prices here are still pretty reasonable compared with many areas of the US, even those that have experienced major price drops.

I also agree on the people and the food but I think Dallas has the best restaurant scene in Texas by far. You can get anything here. Anything!

As for the pickup trucks and dirt roads, please do not say things like that to people in Texas. That is a stereotype and I think you will find most of us are not into that either. Texas is not full of good old boy rednecks shooting guns in the air, and it is not completely full of bible-beaters. Dallas county voted for Obama in the 2008 election. I do not know a single person here who dresses like Larry the Cable Guy.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:57 PM

48,355 posts, read 39,041,440 times
Quote:
First... I hate cars! I hate cars! I hate cars! So I figure Houston is automatically thrown out.

I like vibrant urban areas with excellent mass transit. I'm young, and I love the nightlife venues so any city would have to have a '24-hour downtown.' Basically what I'm asking is the closes thing in Texas to NYC or Chicago?

I also hate grass. So I would be looking for a high density neighborhood. I'm done with condos though. I would much rather prefer a town house not part of a HOA, or at least ones that are nonchalant. Let's face it, the fees HOA charge are BS! My ideal neighborhood would be a mixed-use community with everything within walking distance and on a transit line so I can get to work.

If I love Chicago and New York so much why don't I move there you say?? Well, the taxes are insane!! I hate taxes, especially when the amount paid does not equate to better service. Why do you think I left Toronto? Amazing city but the people are unequivocally delusional when it comes to taxes. Some enjoy paying it as it's their civic duty. At least in Chicago or New York people hate paying tax, not Toronto though for some reason.

Just joking about Houston. Although it has an excessive amount of interstate lanes which I despise, it actually has some nice neighborhoods which fit my description. I'm unaware of any mass transit so it still may not be suitable for my needs.
There may be someplace for you, but I don't think Texas is it..The closest thing to an all night city would be the River Walk in San Antonio and that isnt' an all night party area either..Most areas in Texas do not offer any decent public transportation. you are done with condos, but will consider a town house, there isn't a whole lot of differences between them, either way you may get that dreaded HOA or POA as it sometimes is called. Add to this, you don't like taxes, do you have any clue how high property taxes are in Texas?

I wish you luck in your search, but doubt you will be moving to Texas.
Oh, I just read your comments about taxes in Chic, similar in Texas i may add, plus there is no rapdi transit like you seem to want and you can't spend all your time on the River Walk. By the way, my daughter used to live a few blocks from the River Walk, her husband was the GM at a very well known restaurant, she loved it for a couple of years, but still used her car daily. It's called grocery shopping or any type of shopping.

You just are not getting it, you want someone to tell you Texas is for you, but do you want one of us to tell you something that is not true?

Last edited by nmnita; 05-31-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 02:09 PM

48,355 posts, read 39,041,440 times
Quote:
That place is hell on earth. Isn't that state on the verge of bankruptcy anyway?
the state is, but what you are seeking can be found in San Francisco much easier than a lot of places. Oh, take that back, they do have some grass.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas