Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:38 PM

52,581 posts, read 47,727,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Got a question for my fellow Texans...

My main musical interest is AM Gold, Classic Rock, and Classic Country. That is, roughly, 50's thru 70's era. I KNOW some the stations that play the first two, but have extreme difficulty finding a station that plays the true old country music.

Can anybody recommend one? There used to be one here in Wichita Falls, but the format changed to that "modern day" country (which, sorry, I don't really consider it true country! LOL) When we make the summer trips to Caddo Lake, there is one that can be picked up around Tyler called KMOO (I have to wonder if that is a joke! LOL), but otherwise, I really don't know of any.

Anyway, please give me an assist here. I might not be able to pick it up in the car, but could probably tune it in on the 'net! LOL

Thanks in advance, y'all!

Well, Rebby, I think Falls had some classic country at one time on FM on KOLI (94.9). I'm not sure if that station still has the format or not, but I can check for you. Your area has several small, low-power stations that play country.

In Houston, there still is a classic country station there on 97.1 (KTHT - Country Legends). And there are also two in Cleburne, 1460 KCLE and 92.1 KTFW, which are fine stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
They still play the classics on Saturday morning on KVET in Austin. I also enjoy the Sunday morning gospel music on the same radio station.
I have my computer streamlining glued to KVET on Saturday morning. Nothing else matters. Tom Allen is a legend in the city of Austin. Thankfully, KVET is one station that Clear Channel did not mess up. They are a one of a kind for a mainstream country station. There is no equal.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 PM

152 posts, read 730,896 times
Default Classic Country 97.1 Houston

There is a station I heard on 97.1 when I
lived near Houston. You might be able to stream it online. Not meaning to criticize other peoples musical tastes todays modern country has no spirit. It has an urban angst and discontent associated with fast easy money. Old country reflected the struggles and hardships of life in a day before greed and excessive comsumption became the new norm.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:18 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Well, Rebby, I think Falls had some classic country at one time on FM on KOLI (94.9). I'm not sure if that station still has the format or not, but I can check for you. Your area has several small, low-power stations that play country.

In Houston, there still is a classic country station there on 97.1 (KTHT - Country Legends). And there are also two in Cleburne, 1460 KCLE and 92.1 KTFW, which are fine stations.
The one I remember, Case, ol' friend, was 99.9 KLUR. When I was growing up it played the classic country.

Anyway, again, I appreciate the input on this topic!

*considering and thinking* I really don't mean to put down the country music singers of today. For one thing, who am I to do so? They sing what they sing and I sure as hell can't match them! There ain't nobody standing in line to buy MY records! LOL

But at the same time -- just my opinion -- a lot of what is called "country music" today is not what I consider true country music. I call it "bubble gum" country.

I don't really know what the distinguishing characteristic is...but I know it when I hear it. If that makes sense.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
The one I remember, Case, ol' friend, was 99.9 KLUR. When I was growing up it played the classic country.

*considering and thinking* I really don't mean to put down the country music singers of today. For one thing, who am I to do so? They sing what they sing and I sure as hell can't match them! There ain't nobody standing in line to buy MY records! LOL

But at the same time -- just my opinion -- a lot of what is called "country music" today is not what I consider true country music. I call it "bubble gum" country.

I don't really know what the distinguishing characteristic is...but I know it when I hear it. If that makes sense.

KLUR is really more mainstream, and it's also your top-rated country station in The Falls. Much of country today is country rock. But your market does fluctuate on some frequencies and format changes can be common, so don't be surprised if someone out there starts playing classic country on a station that isn't.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
There is a station I heard on 97.1 when I
lived near Houston. You might be able to stream it online. Not meaning to criticize other peoples musical tastes todays modern country has no spirit. It has an urban angst and discontent associated with fast easy money. Old country reflected the struggles and hardships of life in a day before greed and excessive comsumption became the new norm.
For you Southeast Texas fans, I've got your answer below.

Country Legends 97.1 on countrylegends971.com

Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
KLUR is really more mainstream, and it's also your top-rated country station in The Falls. Much of country today is country rock. But your market does fluctuate on some frequencies and format changes can be common, so don't be surprised if someone out there starts playing classic country on a station that isn't.
You are right. Some years back KLUR went to "mainstream" country and dropped a lot of the old classic format. Thanks for the tip on the KOLI. I will check it out!

Thanks again to the other posters who provided good leads!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:30 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,476,424 times
Quote:

I agree with the folks listing 97.1 (and occasionally 90.1 KPFT) out of Houston. You might also try 107.1 out of Austin. It's not "classic" country, but it is Texas country, blues and rock and roll, and even though it's a bit more contemporary than what you're looking for, I personally don't feel Texas' music has lost its soul the way Nashville's music has.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:47 PM

556 posts, read 1,556,456 times
KTFW 92.1 in Fort Worth is excellent! None of that stuff played by the country pretty boys! Unless you think Willie is pretty, like I do. And I second the endorsement for 680 AM in San Antonio.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I agree with the folks listing 97.1 (and occasionally 90.1 KPFT) out of Houston. You might also try 107.1 out of Austin. It's not "classic" country, but it is Texas country, blues and rock and roll, and even though it's a bit more contemporary than what you're looking for, I personally don't feel Texas' music has lost its soul the way Nashville's music has.
That one sounds interesting in its own right. Thanks, TTk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas