Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:46 PM

6 posts, read 48,574 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving from California to College Station, Texas to be near my son and his family. I am wondering if there is a store similar to Trader Joe's in College Station. Their products just cannot be beat, as far as I am concerned. I also enjoy the freshly baked rolls that come from the Mexican grocery stores in L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 01:35 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
No, you will definitely not find anything like Trader Joe's in College Station. They have HEB grocery stores, which many carry their upscale "Central Market" brand items that are unusual, organic, and wonderful. If you like Trader Joe's style, the best place for you is Austin (Whole Foods, Central Market, etc) --though if your family is in College Station, that might just irk them a bit (Aggies and Longhorn rivalry). They're fairly close to each other though, probably an hour and a half between them. Or you could find a happy "sort of" medium, like Bastrop, Caldwell, or Georgetown.

Either way, you won't have to worry about a lack of mexican bakeries anywhere in TX! Yummy....

Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Whole Foods is no replacement for Trader Joe's. I dislike Whole Foods, as the prices are insane, and I have often purchased less than fresh produce there. The Whole Foods I sometimes shop at is one of the smaller ones, perhaps the food turns over more quickly (and is therefore fresher) at the larger, fancier stores.

I love Central Market, but it is not Trader Joe's either.

You will miss TJ's, no getting around it. I imagine they'll expand here one of these days...

Family is more important than your favorite grocery store though, right?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:16 PM

I didn't mean to imply Whole Foods would "replace" Trader Joe's. I actually like Whole Foods, but Central Market is my fave by far. Neither are exactly the same as Trader Joe's, but if the original poster is looking for that feel, my intentions were to say there is nothing like that in College Station and the best place with like-minded people might be Austin.

Sorry for any confusion.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 PM

Sorry if I came off sounding critical, didn't mean to.

You're right that a TJ's lover will end up in those stores in Texas. I just wanted to make sure she understood that giving up the TJ's experience is definitely one of the cali to texas trade-offs.

I figure that enough of us have made the trip that TJ's will want to follow us here soon. I think life-long Texans will like it too.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:01 PM

No harm, no foul

I've been wanting a TJ's here for a looong time too. It's an experience!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,634 times
She's be better living in the Houston area if she wanted Central Market as its much colser to College Station. Although I think it'd be silly to change your plans over a grocery store. Although I doubt she will.

However, if you want Trader Joe's come to San Antonio within the next year as one may be planned at a proposed highend development here.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 48,574 times
Thanks to all for your replies. I will certainly look for Central Markets and am such a Trader Joe's fan, if there's a possibility of one coming to San Antonio, you can bet the miles between won't make too much difference.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
She's be better living in the Houston area if she wanted Central Market as its much colser to College Station. Although I think it'd be silly to change your plans over a grocery store. Although I doubt she will.

However, if you want Trader Joe's come to San Antonio within the next year as one may be planned at a proposed highend development here.
She's not the only one that would make the trip. TJ's is just one of those stores that inspires tremendous loyalty. It's a bit far for me though, from DFW.

If they do open it, please post on the forum and let me know!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 29,730 times
TJ will not open any store in Texas as long as they maintain archaic liquor laws. Much of TJ's profits come from alcohol sales. I'm a former Californian living in Texas and I miss Trader Joes. I'm grateful for Sprouts, Central Market and Whole Foods, but it isn't the same.

People WILL partially base their college choices on the food supply. We did, and decided against College Station. Food choices and availability were part of that consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas