Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
The valedictorian, salutatorian....didn't have accents either.
Probably because they were valedictorian and salutatorian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You didn't come across sounding harsh, or like a jerk at all, Westerner. A thread with a title such as this doesn't deserve a polite response in any case. If someone really wanted to know why Texans (like all other Americans) have accents that might be difficult for some in some other states/regions to understand -- and what the origins are -- then it certainly would have been titled in a less insulting/condecending way. It would be a perfectly legitimate question if not for what I find hard to believe was not deliberately provocative in its initial presentation.

Anyway, it speaks highly of your status as a Texan gentleman that you did so, but again, IMHO, I don't think you owed an apology at all.
Of course it was, Reb.....we're just used to his abrasiveness and lack of manners in the New Mexico forum. He never misses an opportunity to put down Texas, Texans...and damn near everything else.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
And considering we are one of the few states left with money to spend..........ya'll funny talking NewMexicanos better be nice to us you hear?

Well "HOT DAMN" ain't that right!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Warning for Texans visiting New Mexico:

1) try not to look too stupid when ordering Mexican food when the waiter or waitress says "red or green?"

2) expect the waiter or waitress to look at you like you're stupid when you tell them that you want butter and honey with your sopapilla.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:29 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Warning for Texans visiting New Mexico:

1) try not to look too stupid when ordering Mexican food when the waiter or waitress says "red or green?"

2) expect the waiter or waitress to look at you like you're stupid when you tell them that you want butter and honey with your sopapilla.
3) Don't give a crap how the waitstaff reacts because our version of Mexican food tastes better.

4) Remember, even if they look at you funny, YOU get to go back to Texas, and they don't!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
3) Don't give a crap how the waitstaff reacts because our version of Mexican food tastes better....
AMEN to that one, and I miss it like crazy--or at least I would if I didn't cook as much as I do.

Besides that, there are Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants in Texas that also offer either red or green....such as my favorite Midland restaurant. If I ever go back to Midland, that's the first place I'm heading.

I was down to Fort Davis/Alpine a couple of months ago...and the Mexican food was so good that I almost ate the plate, too....!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:33 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Probably because they were valedictorian and salutatorian.
My great-niece was #6 in the line of honor graduates, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Their teachers have accents so, well, who knows why. Tonight I'll see how the rural high school kids sound at their graduation. It's rather interesting as to why..really.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Why do you all (no, not y'all) talk so funny? Just wondering, because so many of you seem to enjoy coming over here to vacation in New Mexico, and it would help if I could understand you all.
we could say youssseeee guys

Old 06-05-2009, 05:23 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I am not kidding. I am looking for an answer. If the answer is that you have an accent, where did that accent come from? What is its origin?
Where did yours come from?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
we could say youssseeee guys
I believe the poster is referring only to accents, not butchering words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas