Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 PM

786 posts, read 2,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
In a lot of the U.S. it's "you guys". It doesn't matter if women are there or not it's still "you guys".
That's up north and in Canada. I get all sorts of looks down here when I use "you guys". I would start saying y'all, but I am afraid that Texans would think I am just trying to make fun of them by mimicking their accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,521,461 times
Default Interesting Map!

This was posted on another thread. One of the most detailed -- if not THE most -- I have ever seen!

Check it out, y'all...

American English Dialects

*curious* How "good" are the rest of y'all in pegging where someone comes from by their speech? Natives, I mean?

I can almost always tell a fellow Texan/Southerner immediately. If not by accent/dialect, then by their/our slang/idiom (y'all, over yonder, coke, fixin' to, etc).

Hell -- in fact, i just got to thinking -- the use of "tell" to mean "can identify" is a tip-off! LOL

Those from the upper Midwest (Minnesota, Michigan, etc) are usually fairly easy...as are those from the mid-Atlantic northeast. Midwesterners in general (with the "bland" accent) is usually not hard, either.

The "West" is the worst to try and peg. As they seem to be a mix-mash of linguistic influences. My g/f is a native of Colorado, and I can't tell (THAT one again! LOL) her accent from someome from Idaho or Arizona...

Old 11-08-2009, 01:50 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,054,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
That's up north and in Canada. I get all sorts of looks down here when I use "you guys". I would start saying y'all, but I am afraid that Texans would think I am just trying to make fun of them by mimicking their accent.
Well how about you say y'all and then just practice your Texas accent. Maybe put on a pair of boots.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 AM

786 posts, read 2,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Well how about you say y'all and then just practice your Texas accent. Maybe put on a pair of boots.
I've been negligent in going out and getting boots. My wife and I keep saying we have to go boot shopping but something else always comes up. I do have a cowboy hat from when we were in Calgary, but you don't see them much around here.

My daughter has got right into it. She recently went out with her new "Texas born and bred" boyfriend and got herself a pair of boots. Now they are worn about 90% of the time.

She is also starting to pick up some of the Texas speech patterns without even realizing she is doing it. But I haven't heard y'all yet.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,640,831 times
I was raised in rural Northeast and Southeast Texas, spent many years in Houston, and I don't seem to have a discernible accent here in Boston that anyone's commented on, except when I say "y'all." It's a dead giveaway, but I can't seem to control it. LOL

On a related note, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people spell "y'all" like "ya'll." I don't get that! It's a contraction for "you all" so the apostrophe should be after the "y"!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:11 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,116,803 times
Starting at an early age, we have to carry two marbles in our mouth until we get the mumble right.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
I was raised in rural Northeast and Southeast Texas, spent many years in Houston, and I don't seem to have a discernible accent here in Boston that anyone's commented on, except when I say "y'all." It's a dead giveaway, but I can't seem to control it. LOL

On a related note, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people spell "y'all" like "ya'll." I don't get that! It's a contraction for "you all" so the apostrophe should be after the "y"!!![/
There ya go! (meaning, you got it right! LOL).

Bostoner? Speaking of regional slang/idiom, you might get a chuckle out of this story:

I once dated a girl from Massachussets. We first met on a blind date, and hit it off pretty well from the start (I don't know why, but some of my most serious relationships have been with Northern women! LOL).

Anyway, one evening we were watching TV together and she said -- out of the blue -- "You know what I would really like right now"? "A good GRINDER"!

Hot damn, thinks I. I hit the jackpot. Must be my Texas accent that did it...Woo Hoo!

Hey, how the heck was I to know she was referring to a submarine (po' boy) sandwich????

Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,640,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
There ya go! (meaning, you got it right! LOL).

Bostoner? Speaking of regional slang/idiom, you might get a chuckle out of this story:

I once dated a girl from Massachussets. We first met on a blind date, and hit it off pretty well from the start (I don't know why, but some of my most serious relationships have been with Northern women! LOL).

Anyway, one evening we were watching TV together and she said -- out of the blue -- "You know what I would really like right now"? "A good GRINDER"!

Hot damn, thinks I. I hit the jackpot. Must be my Texas accent that did it...Woo Hoo!

Hey, how the heck was I to know she was referring to a submarine (po' boy) sandwich????
LOL Yep, I'm finding this area definitely has a lingo of its own as colorful as Texas! During the summer I was at JP Licks, a popular ice cream cafe here, ordering ice cream when the server asked if I wanted jimmies. Remembering my high school-era slang, I was momentarily confused until she explained they were sprinkles.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
LOL Yep, I'm finding this area definitely has a lingo of its own as colorful as Texas! During the summer I was at JP Licks, a popular ice cream cafe here, ordering ice cream when the server asked if I wanted jimmies. Remembering my high school-era slang, I was momentarily confused until she explained they were sprinkles.
LOL in turn!

Hey, check THIS one out (the rest of y'all too). The menu, I mean. This is actually a restaurant in Masschussetts!!!

Redbones BBQ

Hell, THIS place would be right at home in Texas. Come to think of it, I would bet the cotton crop the folks who own it ARE from "down here", somewheres! LOL

You might oughta visit it sometime, Bostoner!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,792,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Warning for Texans visiting New Mexico:

1) try not to look too stupid when ordering Mexican food when the waiter or waitress says "red or green?"

2) expect the waiter or waitress to look at you like you're stupid when you tell them that you want butter and honey with your sopapilla.
Got news for ya.....they brought me my sopaillas with both honey and butter to the table, and I hadn't said a word about either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas