Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Wanted to let everyone on the Texas forum, that I finally made it down here for the week, and as long as I get accepted (and funded) into the graduate program, I'll be moving down here a year from now.

This week has so far been great.

My first day (in Austin): went to the top of Mt. Bonnell, swam in Barton Springs, ate dinner at Threadgills, walked along the south shore of Town Lake (with the Stevie Ray statue), took the sunset, boatride viewing the bats, and topped it off with a bit of blues club hopping along 6th St. Everything was awesome.

Second Day (drove down to San Antone):

Did the Alamo tour, did the Riverwalk boat ride, a random woman gave me a brief ghost tour at the Menger Bar, when to Mission San Jose, when to the Marketplace and ate at Mi Tierra restaurant. Before I headed back to Austin, I went to Gruene Hall and had an awesome time dancing (although I really don't know how to two-step and I still have to my cowboy boots). Friendly, purdy women there!

Today was mostly meeting with faculty and touring the UT campus. The LBJ library was awesome. What a great president. Perfect example of the "conservative liberal" Too bad his presidency was overshadowed by inheriting Vietnam. Tomorrow: campus meetings, but I'll go see the capital and hopefuly Bob Bullock museum.

Friday: Hill country exploring and hiking. Fredricksburg, Enchanted Rock, Perdenales Falls, Luckenbach.
Saturday morning fly back.

A few things that I noticed (that I wouldn't know otherwise from reading a guidebook):

I really like the U-Turn lanes on the frontage roads. It makes things so easy if you miss your exit. Texas doesn't forbid U-turns like elsewhere!

Austin skyline was bigger than I expected, because I mostly saw pictures of the skyline that are a few years old, and Austin has grown so much just within the last few years.

Obviously San Antonio and Austin were night and day as far as asthetics go, SA being very historic, and Austin: a much more modern feel.

I noticed there were many Mexican Texans touring the Alamo just like everyone else. Thats cool. It gives me the sense that they understand and internalize that the Texas revolution was not a war between "Anglos" and Mexicans, but rather a rebellion against the centralized dicatatorship. Something Mexicans have had to deal with throughout much of their history.

My only complaint about my trip: The place I'm staying at is kind of a dump. There was a big dead roach on the floor when I walked in. I brought it to the attention of the front desk, and they said: they get those sometimes and theres not much they can do about it. Its one of those extended stay places, where there is not housekeeping everyday. But then I saw a couple more. Theres no excuse for that. At first I thought "maybe this is more normal down here." But I haven't seen any past the first day.

So its been a great trip. And hopefully next summer, I can put the bumper sticker on "I'm not from here, but I got here as fast as I could!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
If it helps any, if the roaches you saw were dead, I'm betting that they had the place treated recently and those just crawled out to die.

And it sounds like you indeed did the Grand Tour!

Welcome to Austin!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Well written, my friend!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
You still have to go tubbing in New Braunfels (Landa Park)
I went to Landa Park last Saturday and as big as that park is, I couldn't find a parking spot less than 1/2 mile away from where my wife and kids were playing

Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
^^^ Agreed. Tubing this time of year is incredibly fun.

Great write-up, keep us posted on the rest of your trip, and good luck with UT. It's a fantastic school.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I noticed there were many Mexican Texans touring the Alamo just like everyone else.
Glad you enjoyed your trip. One quibble: there is no such thing as a "Mexican Texan." I think it's pretty clear you mean Hispanics who are native Texans. Instead of "Mexican Texans," you can just call them Texans.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Sounds like you really trying to pack a lot into your trip. Good Luck with the school. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you move here ... you will see roaches. I've never lived anywhere in Texas that they didn't manage to get into the house.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:53 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Don't worry about the roaches, but a place doesn't have to be a dump to have them. They are easily controlled in one's home and that's really what matters. They don't live in my house. Seeing them elsewhere is one thing; you will here and there, but one doesn't have to live with them under the same roof.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 AM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Glad to see that you enjoyed Texas.

Last edited by D-Towner; 06-06-2009 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If it helps any, if the roaches you saw were dead, I'm betting that they had the place treated recently and those just crawled out to die...
I get those critters once in awhile...laying on their back, but not quite dead yet. Use a napkin to pick them up (but don't squeeze) and then take to toilet and give em the royal flush!

Hate to say it, but not everything is bigger in Texas. Hawaii had bigger ones!

To OP: You picked a good area to visit. It's hard to beat the Texas Hill Country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas