Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 PM

22 posts, read 24,238 times

Advertisements

How was the experience? Would you do it again? Did you develop allergies/climate adjustment? Everything helps... thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 12:48 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,568,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityseekingusa View Post
How was the experience? Would you do it again? Did you develop allergies/climate adjustment? Everything helps... thanks.
Oh. Hey! Another thread you start designed to elicit a mid-90’s flame war.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:05 AM

716 posts, read 535,010 times
wow another snotty response here on CD -

Old 03-31-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
wow another snotty response here on CD -
Whatever. It would take about 17 seconds for the OP to pull up the 9,000 threads on this exact topic.

They’re just fishing - take a look at the rest of the threads.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:11 PM

22 posts, read 24,238 times
Just looking for opinions that could be helpful to me or someone else... no offense intended.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityseekingusa View Post
Just looking for opinions that could be helpful to me or someone else... no offense intended.
Right. Do a search. The opinions are all there.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:35 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,218,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Right. Do a search. The opinions are all there.
I don't understand what makes many members such as yourself believe that your the forum leader. Yes, there are technically several topics on hundreds if not thousand of threads here on city data, but by your logic we should just close the forum for any new activity, and leave it open as a search only site. People are welcome and entitled to ask questions that have been asked before, maybe they have already searched but didn't find exactly what they were looking for, maybe they searched but are preferring the most recent opinions that also happen to come from new members who weren't here for the last discussion. Nonetheless, the op doesn't need yours or anyone elses permission to ask a question on here as long as they follow the rules of the forum. I hope cityseekingusa receives all kinds of informative answers for their question!

Old 04-01-2018, 08:37 AM

716 posts, read 535,010 times
City - i can only tell you what we are in the process of- leaving Covina after 35 years in the same house and just packed the first of two 28 foot trailers for our move to Crawford.
1. feel in live with the small town - only minutes to Waco - but out far enough in the country to downshift our life
2. in two days we meet all the neighbors when we bought the house-had BBQ with them and felt like they actually wanted us a neighbors-
3. close enough for us to get on plane either at austin for dallas
4. move- real pya - started the process last Nov. going thru crap- selling- donating -yard selling from everything from or ski boat to band saws, welders, tools, yard stuff, furniture etc- if you think it will take a week - i got a bridge for sale .
5. the fights as to want stay - goes- etc lol all the child hood stuff- the diorama's., the volcano, the reports cards- etc OMG - that takes forever
6. how to move - how to get all that stuff 1400 miles - for us after interviewing 6-7 movers - the quotes0 the bs another mind blowing experience we finally decide that we could rent the two trailers - hire professional mover/packers, a forklift for a week and save 10k - buts its alot of work - boxes - wrapping etc- we found Home Depot had the best prices on boxes - sometimes you can some on craigs list, we bough our own blankets from harbor freight for what they wanted to charge us to rent them! -
7. start packing early- we started boxing right after xmas - and yep finished the days the movers and trailer 1 got here -
8. house selling0 was alot easier after interviewing 4 -we pick a team that not only had the best presentation but provided staging free, professional pictures including the drones pictures, discounted commission like - 3 1/2 % - on the first open house we had 80 couples, and by the end of the week 10 offers - 4 over asking - and finally sold it 40 k over asking -
9. the move - its here - first tailer took 6 of us 4- professional packers me, and a friend to drive there forklift just over 3 hours -
10. today we stage for the next railer on Monday and get Jans Mom stuff ready to pack- yes on top of all this we have to move my 93 year old mother in law- yep- it is a bad as you can guess- -

so i can only advise my CD friends- start early - ask alot of questions, get lots of bids, get advise and be ready for a few disagreements with the other half - and its going to sneak on you like a train without a whistle -

yea forgot the car mover- will follow up with that-

Old 04-01-2018, 04:43 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,639,443 times
I did move from Los Angeles to Dallas (and later to Houston). See my notes below:

1) My wife and I made the move primarily for cost reasons. We wanted to own a home but didnt want to move to the IE. I grew up in Torrance and my wife grew up in Hollywood. Neither of us wanted to live in Hollywood but we did want to live in Torrance. 800k for a house wasnt worth it.

2) I have found the jobs here to pay the same and I have been able to afford way more.

3) Cities like Houston and Dallas basically offer 90% plus of what LA did. Whats missing is the mountains, beach, motion picture industry and tourists. Frankly you can keep the last two.

4) Im very allergic to cedar so the allergies in Dallas were pretty rampant. In Houston, that hasnt been the case as there isnt cedar here. Allergies on the whole no better or worse than LA.

5) I was a little worried when I moved here that I might feel the odd one out but that isnt the case. Californians like myself have come here in droves. Dallas and Houston are both extremely diverse cities and youll find friends and people from all over the global, liberals and conservatives, all different religions, etc. It doesnt matter what you like, youll find it here.

6) I personally find Houston a better bang for your buck than Dallas. The housing market in Dallas is white hot right now.

Hope some of that helps!

Old 04-01-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarJerry View Post
I don't understand what makes many members such as yourself believe that your the forum leader. Yes, there are technically several topics on hundreds if not thousand of threads here on city data, but by your logic we should just close the forum for any new activity, and leave it open as a search only site. People are welcome and entitled to ask questions that have been asked before, maybe they have already searched but didn't find exactly what they were looking for, maybe they searched but are preferring the most recent opinions that also happen to come from new members who weren't here for the last discussion. Nonetheless, the op doesn't need yours or anyone elses permission to ask a question on here as long as they follow the rules of the forum. I hope cityseekingusa receives all kinds of informative answers for their question!
1. Where did I say they needed my permission?

2. They can ask all they want, but when there are three active threads on the same topic in the Dallas forum and they post this in Texas, doesn’t take a genius.

3. Every one of the OP’s threads is a hit and run. “What’s the fanciest” “what’s the best” “oh have you” and just walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas