U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:47 AM

2,640 posts, read 292,797 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to learn about the detergent for my backyard as I need something non-toxic for my dogs. I'm sticking with Over and Out though for the front. I works exceptionally well.

No offense to the pest control industry because they certainly got rid of my termites, but all other bugs can be controlled by one's self. Well, maybe not carpenter ants, but I'm working on those disgusting insects and so far, I'm getting the best of them as well.

Now if I can only convince my daughter to stop wasting money with her once-a-month treatments. I'm sorry folks, I'm just too frugal for my own good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 03:35 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,965,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I'm glad to learn about the detergent for my backyard as I need something non-toxic for my dogs. I'm sticking with Over and Out though for the front. I works exceptionally well.

No offense to the pest control industry because they certainly got rid of my termites, but all other bugs can be controlled by one's self. Well, maybe not carpenter ants, but I'm working on those disgusting insects and so far, I'm getting the best of them as well.

Now if I can only convince my daughter to stop wasting money with her once-a-month treatments. I'm sorry folks, I'm just too frugal for my own good.
KewGee,

Did you have termites in your house or yard? I had them in my back yard last year and bought a $27 insecticide made for termites...did the trick.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
KewGee,

Did you have termites in your house or yard? I had them in my back yard last year and bought a $27 insecticide made for termites...did the trick.

I wish it had been that inexpensive; it was over $500. I had them in the yard making their little tunnels in several places around and up the cement foundation of the house and into the house itself within the walls.

I wouldn't have discovered them had they not made a huge mud tunnel up the wall behind the water heater in one of my bathrooms. They had to travel from the floor four feet up the wall and the pretty good sized mud house they made was something else, quite a sight.

I didn't know what it was at first as I've never had termites, but quickly learned I better do something. That was one time I didn't feel my "expertise" in treating bugs would be effective.

Where did you see them in the yard? Do they just mosey around here and there? I'll keep a lookout in the yard like I do now around my foundation. If I see any, I'll purchase the insecticide and treat them myself and hopefully, avoid any other costly termination of them, the wood-hungry ugly insects.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,965,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

I wish it had been that inexpensive; it was over $500. I had them in the yard making their little tunnels in several places around and up the cement foundation of the house and into the house itself within the walls.

I wouldn't have discovered them had they not made a huge mud tunnel up the wall behind the water heater in one of my bathrooms. They had to travel from the floor four feet up the wall and the pretty good sized mud house they made was something else, quite a sight.

I didn't know what it was at first as I've never had termites, but quickly learned I better do something. That was one time I didn't feel my "expertise" in treating bugs would be effective.

Where did you see them in the yard? Do they just mosey around here and there? I'll keep a lookout in the yard like I do now around my foundation. If I see any, I'll purchase the insecticide and treat them myself and hopefully, avoid any other costly termination of them, the wood-hungry ugly insects.
I didn't see any tunnels closer than 5 feet to the house. I checked on the internet and found that termites also like to eat dead grass and I had plenty in my back yard when heat/blight attacked a good portion of my St. Augustine grass. As you probably know, when this type of grass dies, it just lays there forever on the ground. Most of the tunnels were built around the dead grass vines. I got rid of the dead grass and apparently the little buggers went back to the wood fences or green belt nearby. Once or twice I've had fire ant trails going up my foundation, but I quickly sprayed the area outside and inside.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I didn't see any tunnels closer than 5 feet to the house. I checked on the internet and found that termites also like to eat dead grass and I had plenty in my back yard when heat/blight attacked a good portion of my St. Augustine grass. As you probably know, when this type of grass dies, it just lays there forever on the ground. Most of the tunnels were built around the dead grass vines. I got rid of the dead grass and apparently the little buggers went back to the wood fences or green belt nearby. Once or twice I've had fire ant trails going up my foundation, but I quickly sprayed the area outside and inside.

Great information! I'll be extremely diligent now so I will be able to treat them myself before they get out of control. I'm not fond of paying exterminators and I never had to in my entire life until I had those blasted termites.

Thanks so much for cluing me on on a great money saver.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:03 AM

11,805 posts, read 14,104,764 times
My mother, who lives in Dallas, told me that the best way to get rid of fire ants is to sprinkle some corn meal around the hill. They love it, and after they eat it they burst. She just did it, and it worked like a charm.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
My mother, who lives in Dallas, told me that the best way to get rid of fire ants is to sprinkle some corn meal around the hill. They love it, and after they eat it they burst. She just did it, and it worked like a charm.

Fantastic! I love these cheap and non-toxic ways. Non-toxic for pets, plants, and people anyway. Great post!!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,790 times
I have tried over and out, over and over again and have not gotten rid of them, as long as they are around every else, they just seem to keep comming back. I have a garden and want something that won't effect what I am trying to grow. I am going to give the laundry soap a try. I have battled year after year with different pestacides and none of them have worked. They just seem to move from one place to another and come back each and every year.
momof2dfw thank you for the advice I will give it a try this year since they are all ready back.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM

393 posts, read 806,074 times
a flock of horned toads

Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 AM

5 posts, read 2,719 times
I have tried everything to try and get rid of the pesty fire ants...Does the powdered laundry detergent really work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas