U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 AM

1,131 posts, read 813,603 times

Advertisements

SA did really well on this RD list. 50 Cleanest (Dirtiest) Cities in America | Your America | Reader's Digest The higher the number, the better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 AM

15,794 posts, read 14,055,601 times
I agree, based on your criteria, San Antonio is the better choice though I wonder why you did not mention Austin.

San Antonio has always been a heavily Hispanic city and I think it is now majority Hispanic. It is not as diverse as Dallas or Houston but it has its own flavor that is very different from either of the other two.

If air quality is a real concern for you I would not even consider Dallas or Houston; Houston has topped the list for worst air pollution more than once!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 AM

5,613 posts, read 3,999,934 times
SAN ANTONIO hands down. flooding does happen, but not like it does in houston, dallas is IMO flat and baron and the people suck lol. for outdoors, SA has the hill country just minutes to an hour away, the coast is less then 2 hours. SA is less expensive then the other choices as well. all in all SA IMO is just a better place to live.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 AM

625 posts, read 1,148,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Here is the air quality rating you requested, by county:

Bexar (San Antonio) - F
Tarrant/Denton (Dallas) - F
Fort Bend (Sugar Land) - Not Available
Harris (Houston) - F

It doesn't look like any pass accoridng to:

Texas
The letter grades do not tell the whole story....

They break down the number of days into:

Orange: Unhealthy for Sensitive Populations
Red: Unhealthy
Purple: Very Unhealthy

Bexar County (San Antonio) had

Orange: 39 days
Red: 0 days
Purple: 0 days

Harris County (Houston) had

Orange: 104 days
Red: 30 days
Purple: 6 days

Tarrant County (Dallas) had

Orange: 79 days
Red: 7 days
Purple: 0 days

You can draw your own conclusions as to which has better air quality, but considering Houston almost as many Red days as San Antonio had Orange days I doubt you can say Houston.

Considering how close Fort Bend county is to Harris county I bet it's numbers are closer to Harris county than Bexar County. With the way that site assigns the letter grades I doubt anywhere with significant population density is above an F.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:53 AM

Tarrant is Fort Worth, Dallas county is dallas.

I see however that the Tarrant county numbers you posted are actually Dallas County's numbers so you got the numbers correct just the name. Shockingly, Tarrant had much worse numbers than Dallas County.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 AM

To break it down more:

11 percent of the time during the year, SA had the lowest form of unhealthy air.

22 percent of the time during the year, Dallas had the lowest form of unhealthy air.
2 percent of the time during the year, Dallas had unhealthy air.

28 percent of the time during the year, Houston has the lowest form of unhealthy air.
8 percent of the time during the year, Houston had unhealthy air.
2 percent of the time during the year, Houston had very unhealthy air.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:50 AM

1,551 posts, read 2,746,327 times
Sugarland has the diversity. San Antionio "might" have better air quality, but nothing I have personally noticed & I've done outdoor activities in all cities mentioned.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:53 AM

28,114 posts, read 23,629,436 times
I have never gone outside in Dallas and said, "Oh, I am not going to hang today because of the air quality."

There are tons of lakes here, hiking trails, and even several state parks less than 2 hours away.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:13 AM

8,954 posts, read 15,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Sugarland has the diversity. San Antionio "might" have better air quality, but nothing I have personally noticed & I've done outdoor activities in all cities mentioned.

Mr. Football posted something on the Houston forum about the bad area quality in Sugarland. Chronicle: Smog Pooling in Fort Bend County

Anyway, we'll have an area quality warning today in Houston as well as a heat advisory.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:47 AM

6,868 posts, read 12,830,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Sugar Land is a great city that meets all the criteria you listed. It's only 20 miles from downtown Houston, but has great air quality. The city is one of the fastest growing in Texas and enjoys a high median income. The city is aesthetically pleasing and the parks are very nice. It is constantly ranked very high among best places to live. In fact CNN ranked it #3 in the nation in 2006! It does experience high rainfall threats from hurricanes that may hit the coast. I would consider it the most kid-friendly of your choices!

YouTube - Tour of Sugar Land, Texas
Wow, I don't think I saw a person on that video that was darker than "light pink". :rotfl: Sugar Land has a very diverse presence, but you'd never know it by that video. Yikes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas